Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaws In Space

Perdition's Gate Resurgence (Alpha available for testing)

8 hours ago, dt_ said:

Ok, I've blocked out a new map, see what you think, I can't say I've tried to emulate another mapper's work before (which was one of the things that drew me to this project) so would like your views on the layout/gameplay before I go ahead and flesh it out into a proper map

https://www.dropbox.com/s/htdmz6vbkga8321/perdgate02.wad?dl=1

This map seems more like a Jimmy Sieben map than your previous one did. Hitscanner hell, a few nasty traps, & a layout that tried to emulate the style Perdgate map 10 wile still feeling quite a bit different. The texture work was very Doom E1, which is a good way to emulate Sieben, but it might be a little out of place in this episode, so a few changes may be needed in that department. Otherwise no real issues stood out to me.

Im thinking of exiting this comunity project for the record

and also sorry for giving a bump to just give the bad news, but i wanted to clean that up

Map name: Ruin Escape

Inspired by: Tom Mustaine

Screens:

Spoiler

yM3AWoO.png

lf1R9v4.png

B7BPP9D.png

Jx4A1cY.png

OIuR5Q7.png

rc24xDI.png

Download

UV only for the moment, co-op and dm not implemented yet.

5 hours ago, Gothic said:

Hi, I did an FDA for this.

A well made map, texturing and layout are firmly perdgatian. Lots of nice encounters and setpieces. Really liked the blue key. However, I found it to be maybe three times as long as it should have been and with a severe case of monster bloat. The highest monster count in Perdgate was 158 on MAP16, a Tom Mustaine map. You map clocks in with a whopping 386 monsters, more than twice MAP16. 

A lot of this is because the map is much more sprawling than anything in Perdgate. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. I certainly wasn't bored through my play. There are lots of neat traps and you definitely bring in the PG:R themes, the clashing tech and Egyptian areas. Considering Tom's penchant for compact maps I think a lot of the map could be pared down and some of the other sections could be used for separate maps.

If everything up to and including the Baron fight (so the red and blue key areas) were its own map and it ended after the Baron that would be around 175 monsters, higher than a Perdgate map but not too much. The back half of the map has a lot of really interesting encounters. The AV behind the blue armor is such a Perdgate moment and is really good. I think the back half could easily be its own map, too. 

I know there's really nothing in Jaws's OP about keeping the maps to under a certain size or monster count, but I think both for the sake of fun and in making it more like the original Perdition's Gate this map could be edited down into two fun and punchy maps. 

GTHPerdFDA.zip

23 hours ago, Gothic said:

As far as individual rooms & texturing goes, this map is pretty spot on with Tom Mustaine's style. On the other hand the overall layout is pretty far off. First thing that immediately struck me is that this map is way too big, this really ought to be cut down into two or even three maps. The second problem with the layout is that it is very spread out, whereas Mustaine maps are for the most part very compact. Thirdly there is a lot of go here & then go back when it comes to all three key areas, in Perditions Gate the maps can be approached from many different directions. In this regard some of your rooms are correct, such as the whole starting area, the area past the red & blue key doors, & the exit room.

Here's how I would personally break down this map, take the area in red, cut out the key doors & make them normal doors, then attach the exit room to the north end of the map. The area outlined in orange would be a second map, it's still not quite right, that area is rather sprawling as far as a Perdition's Gate map is concerned, but I can't think of any immediate fixes for that. If you can find a way of compacting it down a bit that would be great, but I wouldn't throw it out if you can't. As for the the red & blue key areas to the south, they would need to be part of a possible third map.

Gothic.png.a893e060ae0e967050a057ab4210efef.png

Hi. Could I claim an Egyptian map?

In a bit of a haze I did a speed map and then I realized it would work as a PG map. I think it has a Tom Mustaine vibe to it so I'll go for that. Screenshots will be coming in a few days as the map is pretty bare right now.

On 2017-07-01 at 10:48 PM, Jaws In Space said:

RROCK03,

I can't find this one texture in the pg resurge texture wad for some reason. Only GROCK07 and GROCK08.

34 minutes ago, NeedHealth said:

I can't find this one texture in the pg resurge texture wad for some reason. Only GROCK07 and GROCK08.

It's a Doom 2 FLAT.

Double post. Sorry.

Beta version done. No name yet.

Supported difficulty is Walk in the park and Flaming death to all. No multiplayer starts added.

Download

MfJEStn.png

On 8/8/2017 at 2:04 PM, NeedHealth said:

Double post. Sorry.

Beta version done. No name yet.

Supported difficulty is Walk in the park and Flaming death to all. No multiplayer starts added.

Download

There is a Perdition's Gate map in here somewhere, but the map as is needs a bit of work to get it there. First things first, there's a lot of meat in this map, I'd remove 1 Baron, things 23 & 74, then the 2 hell knights & a few of the demons by the blue key should be hitscanners of imps. Items should be placed in corners or along walls.

Then here's some screenshots of a few problems.

Spoiler

Texture issues here.

iA09g4a.png

And here.

MD02kJd.png

These Shotgun guys are pretty worthless as the monster blocking lines prevent them from doing anything.

z4cHTEG.png

These lights are bit over detailed for Tom Mustaine. A simple inserted square is better.

40hKxiE.png

zfeZKvu.png

This weird arrow thing with the sky doesn't need to be there.

ybg36Iv.png

Thanks. I'll get to edit my map according to your suggestions soon enough.  For some reason, the trick with two joined invisible squares to active monster closets stopped working on this map therefor an long 8 wide hallway...

Again double post. I realized I have never tested this map for bullet proof vanilla compability but it should work. I can see nothing that should cause this map to bomb out, other than rage quit.

Fixed all the error Jaws in Space pointed out. Added some semblance of difficulty difference(Some monsters at key positions are absent on higher difficulty) Added 4 deathmatch starts. Added a plasma gun and a rocket launcher in mulitplayer.  Odd bits and bobs. Tried not to go overboard with details but failed horribly (these can be removed with no angst, if so asked)

Actually, I did most of these changes yesterday night so there might be more I've changed but can't remember ...  but I feel the map is better now and that feeling is good.

Name is The Ra-Moons Curse.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=67298179817019195343

Also I might do one or two .lmps of Jaws in Spaces maps.

e - fixed a small visual glitch.

Edited by NeedHealth

19 hours ago, Jaws In Space said:

With the permission of NeedHealth I have gone through his map & altered it in many ways to make it feel a bit more like a Perdition's Gate map.

<snip>

Looks good, that which you have created.

e - what happened to the switchtrigger behind the archvile, it seems misplaced. I would like to keep this encounter as it is a kind of "oh shit moment" which brings you out of balance, especially if this maps ends up as not the first map. An extra evil is that it also has the possibility of the archvile running hog wild across the level if you do not contain the situation.

Edited by NeedHealth

@Jaws In Space

I had a very interesting run on your Lighthouse of Alexandria and boy am I glad it is saved for posterity. Highlights includes a rocket battle against a revenant, and more.

Preface - I am not a good doom player. I first played on 3rd difficulty and failed horribly about 6-7 times, that's why i go look for a medikit that isn't there in this demo. Then I played on 1st difficulty in this demo and almost survived. Capital letters on almost. I think I was down at 1-2 hp at one point. I had to pause to wipe my hands because they were sweaty. In the end I forgot where the red bars was so I went around and looked for it for awhile before I found the exit. Completely forgot to look for secrets, go me.

Thoughts:

The first door you come across has the same texture as the altar with the yellow key. I think you should change one of those to some other texture.. Also, it might be me but I thought that same first door was a secret on my absolute first try. The monsters that teleport in to the yellow key room also seem to be bit slow in getting to their teleport lines. I was about 5 steps away from being telefrag'ed here.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=27099762347829182183

Edited by NeedHealth

4 hours ago, NeedHealth said:

What do you think of my solution to the archvile trap, in The Ra-Moons Curse?

I've spent a bit of time studying Jimmy Siebens maps, which is the style your maps fits the most, & I can't really support the change. First problem is that Jimmy doesn't place more than 1 armor in his maps outside of his two largest, maps 10 & 27, and this is not a large map. In regards to the Arch-Vile simply being behind a closed door, this is very much in line with Jimmy, look to maps 10 & 19 to see examples of this. Thirdly you removed some instant-pop monsters, which again goes against what Jimmy did in his maps.

Also I see that you "Fixed" the misaligned texture by the Soul Sphere secret that I added, again looking at many of Jimmy's maps you will notice that this wasn't a bug, a lot of the secrets in Jimmy's maps are marked by vertically misaligned textures.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=05794912351844054336

Actually, those pop up ssg guys was added on a whim as was the archvile behind the door. I didn't know it was in j siebens style at all therfore I had no problems changing that around when I fixed the broken trigger behind the archvile and some texture misalignments.

You're right. Lets keep it as it was. I could probably have made it easier to spot the soul sphere secret door, I was trying to remove bumps in the texture there that is repeated a number of time.

2rm9l6a.png

I went back and made the texture on the secret soul sphere door the same as above, fixed all the texture misalignments I found. The archvile and the ssg pop up guys are the same as before. The only thing I did remove was the switch trigger wall placed behind the archvile, it only activated two dummy object in the void as far as I could see. If those dummy sectors had some use after all,  it would trivial for me to add them again.

Edited by NeedHealth

Hey! If you don't mind me asking, which maps were done by McCandlish? 

2 hours ago, DoomLover234 said:

Hey! If you don't mind me asking, which maps were done by McCandlish? 

Parts of maps 13 & 15. Then all of maps 22, 24, 25, 31, & 32.

Alright, I'm going to attempt to recreate an Avatar map. I noticed some of his distinctions, and hey, nobody's done it yet.