Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaws In Space

Perdition's Gate Resurgence (Alpha available for testing)

I'm in. I'm playing some Mustaine maps, seems like that guy really loved The Inmost Dens.

yesyesyesyesyes

you said there was no claiming of specific maps, but am i allowed to just reserve a spot in the project in general? or is it just whoever submits their maps first? i really wanna map for this but i can't yet because i have another project that i need to finish my map for within like 2 weeks so i don't know if it's gonna be a heckin race here to submit your maps in order to get into the project :c

i dont know who i wanna emulate either, so i'll pick tommy mustaine for now c:

also, when's the deadline?

edit: BONUS QUESTION: @Jaws In Space should we at least say which part we wanna map for? like maps 1-6 or 7-11? in case you get like 11 demonic mine maps, ya know. if so, i'll probably just do one for the first part, maps 1-6, for now.

Edited by bonnie

2 minutes ago, bonnie said:

yesyesyesyesyes

you said there was no claiming of specific maps, but am i allowed to just reserve a spot in the project in general?

also, when's the deadline?

Yup by making a post saying you want to map you are reserving a spot in the project. Also quick note there is no limit to how many maps someone can make. For now there is no deadline, I'll set one up once we get a few more mappers involved & maps start coming in.

I'm working with gzdoom at the moment, and need a vanilla break.  I'm in if there's still room

Plenty of room to join, welcome aboard dt_.

Also thanks to a graphic 40oz posted in the pre development thread, I've started working on an M_DOOM. I've only just started working on it, the finished product will be similar in concept to the M_DOOM in Perdition's Gate, but with a different texture theme.

M_Dooo.png.0c290f8c6ae6e10094aab5aa34942712.png

Call me stupid, but I'm having a bit of trouble with the textures in game, zdoom displaying a few of the textures as black, (something about missing patches) and boom won't load at all.  Am I doing something wrong? All display fine in db2

3 hours ago, dt_ said:

Call me stupid, but I'm having a bit of trouble with the textures in game, zdoom displaying a few of the textures as black, (something about missing patches) and boom won't load at all.  Am I doing something wrong? All display fine in db2

Okay so I solved the issue of PRBoom crashing by fixing a problem with the flats. I'm not seeing any problems with the wall textures though, which ones are giving you issues?

Texture pack link in op updated with fix for FLATS issue.

Also since I'm here, a few WIP shots.

Screenshot_Doom_20170705_205631.png.d89e8ecc43497045730b95fca07ec612.pngScreenshot_Doom_20170705_205657.png.f348eec392fa273208520bbbe5a6c4f1.png

im interested in this

Seems fun 

Im gonna emulate Tom Mustaine's way

hopefully this will go nicely

Edited by Redead-ITA

Okay everybody I had to update the texture pack in the OP one final time. I've gone through & looked at every flat & texture in vanilla to be sure that everything works properly now. I had messed things up by having some patches & some flats share the same name. To fix this problem I went through & renamed the problem flats. For those of you already working on maps, you can either fix these flats yourself, or once your map is finished just send it to me & I will fix them for you.

These are the Flats that have been renamed

ALLBLACK in now BLACK
CROCK01 is now CRROCK01
CROCK11 is now CRROCK11
EBRICK01 is now FBRICK01
EBRICK02 is now FBRICK02
EBRICK03 is now FBRICK03
EBRICK04 is now FBRICK04
EBRICK05 is now FBRICK05
EBRICK06 is now FBRICK06
ESTONE01 is now FSTONE01
ESTONE02 is now FSTONE02
ESTONE03 is now FSTONE03
ESTONE04 is now FSTONE04
ESTONE05 is now FSTONE05
ESTONE06 is now FSTONE06
ESTONE07 is now FSTONE07
ESTONE08 is now FSTONE08

----------------------------------

I finished my first map if anyone want's to give it a play through. Not sure if I'll end up using this, I went a bit heavy with recreating some rooms from Perdition's Gate, though one could say that's exactly what Tom Mustaine would do :D

Also trying to come up with a good map name, I just picked a famous landmark & went with that for now, again not sure if that's what I'll stick with though.

Mortuary Temple of Hatshepsut

I've a map for testing if you've got a free min, it's sort of an egyptian tech vibe, probably better suited to the first episode

I've gone for some kind of Jimmy Sieben vibe, drawing a bit of inspiration from some of his TNT work aswell.  I did find it hard to tag a specific style to him, looked at his other limited released work to find that most of it was deathmatch maps, so have used a flowing deathmatch style layout to try to keep the player on his/her toes

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qjgo0jaqa6sjpsz/dtperdgate1.wad?dl=1

ysonfKY.png

egeYDUn.png

2b9LqY0.png

On 7/9/2017 at 2:46 PM, dt_ said:

I've a map for testing if you've got a free min, it's sort of an egyptian tech vibe, probably better suited to the first episode

I've gone for some kind of Jimmy Sieben vibe, drawing a bit of inspiration from some of his TNT work aswell.  I did find it hard to tag a specific style to him, looked at his other limited released work to find that most of it was deathmatch maps, so have used a flowing deathmatch style layout to try to keep the player on his/her toes

Ah good I was hoping someone would have a go at a Jimmy Sieben styled map. While pretty fun, there are a few things about the map that made it feel not quite right though. The gradient lighting was one of the first thing that I noticed, there are examples of Jimmy using it here or there in his maps, but he mostly stuck with pretty hard edges when it comes to light and shadows. Also I felt that there weren't enough low tier enemies here, in your map it seemed as though I spent more time fighting mid tier enemies rather than plowing my way through cannon fodder to get to the objectives. Another big thing I noticed about your map is that it's pretty compacted & very squarish. Jimmy certainly used a fair share of 90 & 45 degree angles in his maps, but there was also a lot more of an organic approach to his maps, similar to a Doom E1 style. Then for just a general complaint, the automatic doors at the start were pretty annoying, kinda reminded me of Icarus: Alien Vanguard where I you are constantly running up to a door only to close it.

4shockblast has also played your map & has a few things to say about it as well. He'll be doing a write up on the submitted maps when he has the time.

Hey, cheers for playing.  I've just looked through Jimmy's maps in perdgate, especially the later ones, and am seeing quite compact, sometimes cramped layouts that are not especially organic featuring a reasonable mix of mid tier enemies including a cyberdemon, so I'm not sure which maps you're looking at when you are saying that mine does not look right, maybe you could offer me up some more Jimmy Sieben content to look at in greater detail.

with regards to light gradients, I hear you.  His lighting on reflection (haha) is pretty flat throughout, so can definitely be toned down, but having thought on, would Jimmy still have such an attitude to lighting if he was still active today, and mapping with the ease and flexibility of doom builder?

obviously still a work in progress, maybe the hot start can go, I suppose it's not something that would be present in one of his maps, the idea was to propel the player directly into the map and have him/her run around like crazy until it was done.

Just posting to say I am super excited about hearing about this project! I absolutely loved Perdition's Gate and am happy to hear you are making a fan made sequel!

I am expecting great things from you and the others contributing to this project. Just make sure you use some killer music tracks like the first Perdition's Gate had for its levels. Best of luck with everything.

^Hey, just played this map, tried to FDA it but got stuck in the red key room on the right due to the door closing and the door's DR linedef is facing the wrong way (press F in DB)

Also, just so you know, nothing else works in the map as the doors further on in the map are opened with untagged S1 linedefs used in the same manner as a DR linedef- you need to tag the line to the relevant sector for it to perform the action. DR linedefs are the only ones that will work without tags.  Zdoom will work this out, but older ports, and especially the original (vanilla) doom will not.

5 hours ago, Redead-ITA said:

i dunno what you mean by FDA but i fixed the door problem

As for the Other i tried to give all the linedefs and Sector the tags in order to work 

thanks for pointing that out

heres the fixes

History repeats itself.zip

Going to have to decline using this map. Far too simple in design even compared to the most basic of Perdition's Gate maps. Except for some texturing it hardly resembles Tom Mustaine's style. I noticed several bugs in PRBoom past the red door due to use of 0 as a tag on a lift, in addition textures are bleeding into the floor. Also because of the 0 tag this map crashes vanilla.

9 hours ago, dt_ said:

Hey, cheers for playing.  I've just looked through Jimmy's maps in perdgate, especially the later ones, and am seeing quite compact, sometimes cramped layouts that are not especially organic featuring a reasonable mix of mid tier enemies including a cyberdemon, so I'm not sure which maps you're looking at when you are saying that mine does not look right, maybe you could offer me up some more Jimmy Sieben content to look at in greater detail.

with regards to light gradients, I hear you.  His lighting on reflection (haha) is pretty flat throughout, so can definitely be toned down, but having thought on, would Jimmy still have such an attitude to lighting if he was still active today, and mapping with the ease and flexibility of doom builder?

obviously still a work in progress, maybe the hot start can go, I suppose it's not something that would be present in one of his maps, the idea was to propel the player directly into the map and have him/her run around like crazy until it was done.

27 Does come to mind when bringing up examples of squarish cramped Jimmy Sieben maps, but I would say that one is an exception & not the rule, being by far and away the longest map in Perdition's Gate. Jimmy's style is a bit harder to pinpoint due to having a wider range of mapping styles across PG & TNT. I had the earlier PG maps in mind like 10 & 14 along with TNT map 10 which have their fair share on non 90° walls and such.

On the lighting, I'm more interested in keeping with what the PG authors did do, rather than what they might be doing today, that line of thinking can lead the project in the wrong direction. I don't want to this to end up like Plutonia 2, which was quite far from the Casali's style of mapping in Plutonia.

Ok, I'm with you.  Perdgate map10 stuck out in my mind as one of the more exciting and challenging early maps, especially when pistol starting, I quite liked the styling aswell.  

What are we saying about my submission then? Should we retract it and have me work on a fresh one, or do you think we can work it in somehow?  I enjoyed making it regardless and would be happy to contribute a second map should you decide it's ok to stay in.  I'd be interested in looking a bit further into map 10 and emulating this style a bit closer 

8 hours ago, Jaws In Space said:

Going to have to decline using this map. Far too simple in design even compared to the most basic of Perdition's Gate maps. Except for some texturing it hardly resembles Tom Mustaine's style. I noticed several bugs in PRBoom past the red door due to use of 0 as a tag on a lift, in addition textures are bleeding into the floor. Also because of the 0 tag this map crashes vanilla.

That will teach me to test a vanilla Compatible map with gzdoom

i moved to chocodoom for these type of testing now and i fixed the thing you pointed out

while i understand that it Hardly resembles the style of tom mustaine i will try to change the map look to be more Into his style and make it slightly more deathmatchy seeing that was the wad focus if it wasn't already

This thread contains something I've wanted to address for a while, the fact that people believe that because Perdition's Gate was commercially released, linking to a download would be taboo. I'm pretty sure that's not the case, because Tom Mustaine's website offers the whole thing for free. I just wanted more people to know that it's that simple so that they can realize what they've been missing out on. But unfortunately, Hell to Pay seems to remain in limbo.

20 hours ago, dt_ said:

Ok, I'm with you.  Perdgate map10 stuck out in my mind as one of the more exciting and challenging early maps, especially when pistol starting, I quite liked the styling aswell.  

What are we saying about my submission then? Should we retract it and have me work on a fresh one, or do you think we can work it in somehow?  I enjoyed making it regardless and would be happy to contribute a second map should you decide it's ok to stay in.  I'd be interested in looking a bit further into map 10 and emulating this style a bit closer 

No need to cut this map at this time, if a surplus of more appropriate gets submitted in the future then perhaps. In the meantime feel free to work on a new map if you would like to.