Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaws In Space

Perdition's Gate Resurgence (Alpha available for testing)

40 minutes ago, Jaws In Space said:

I've avoided mentioning his maps because I didn't plan on accepting any maps done in his style.

why? ;~;

Well I've researched his maps today - he has very tiny maps, lots of moving sectors, start is very frantic, very bland and underdetailed maps, unintuitive progression, loads of high HP monsters even right at the start, not much lighting, exit sector is most of the time a secret, almost no health. That's a very basic description of Avatar's maps. His map in Memento Mori (Kinetics) is much better than these though, with actually alright gameplay.

Been on vacation these past 2 weeks, but I have found time to finish a third map. Bastet'sTemple

I'll get around to compiling the completed maps so far into a single wad sometime next weekend.

On 8/20/2017 at 3:48 PM, bonnie said:

why? ;~;

Because they are the worst that Perdition's Gate has to offer.

1 minute ago, Jaws In Space said:

Because they are the worst that Perdition's Gate has to offer.

:o

what maps did he do??

Okay, so I separated my previous map into 2 smaller ones:

Spelunker:

An all egyptian map.

Spoiler

l4HhFoy.png

Dy7TSfV.png

T8btDwA.png

Download

Troubled Research:

Half egyptian, half techbase.

Spoiler

lNOVfqV.png

ROMR6sx.png

X5TFMJH.png

dPOgEPq.png

Download

Cool, I'll get to playing these maps later today.

Also I said that I wanted to get a demo released this weekend, but at this point since we're so close to having a completed episode I think I'll just hold off on that for a few more weeks. Though the OP has been updated to show how the maps are being ordered thus far.

2 Mapslots are still open to anyone who want's to map for this project, & we are still in need of midi's.

I understand you Jaws, as Avatar's maps were really bad, but if we're already doing a Resurgence project meant to imitate styles of all authors, I think an Avatar map should also be present. That's just my opinion though. 

I think he meant his style won't fit on the first episode of the wad, considering he made the "weird" maps on later levels.

Honestly I was thinking of omitting his style completely in favor of a better author from the same time period. For example Jim Dethlefsen is a front-runner from Team TNT, & there are several good choices from Memento Mori as well. Even after looking at Avatar's maps outside of Perdition's Gate, there really is not much at all in terms of quality.

Also neato I found the real name of Mackey McCandlish on IDGames, it's Fairfax Sheild McCandlish IV. Apparently he was a tester on Call of Duty in 2003 & got a special thanks on Call of Duty: United Offensive in 2004.

Oh better yet he actually gets credited more often by his nickname here's what he's been doing since Perdition's Gate. http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,8802/

Edit again: Holy crap, he was one of the lead designers on Call of Duty Modern Warfare. Now we know who to blame for creating the modern FPS.

Edited by Jaws In Space

I agree about his maps being of bad quality. I did like MAP12 from Memento Mori though :P I have a thing for staircases

On 9/9/2017 at 2:10 PM, Gothic said:

Okay, so I separated my previous map into 2 smaller ones:

Both of these maps could use some more ammo balance. For Troubled Research I was low on ammo constantly throughout the map until I got to the blue door, & from then on I was swimming in ammo all the way to the exit. Spelunker was fine until I got to the yellow key, from then on I was low on ammo until the red key area when I actually ran out & couldn't kill the rest of the monsters on the map, the exit was particularly bad because of the AV.

On 7/1/2017 at 4:48 PM, Jaws In Space said:

The setting for Perditions Gate: Resurgence Maps 1-11

After escaping the Bomb Facility by way of a teleporter, Doomguy finds himself in Egypt in the midst of many ancient alien artifacts & technology. The Demons were going to drill to the center of the Earth to plant their planet destroying bomb. The few remaining demonic stragglers that made it through the gateway prior to it's destruction must be destroyed before they can do any more harm to Earth.

Maps 1-6  - Doomguy must make his way from the gateway teleporter & traverse his way through ancient Egyptian ruins to reach the demonic dig site. Egyptian ruins should be the setting for these maps.
Maps 7-11  - The demonic mine. A mix of Egyptian ruins & Demonic technology.

Two questions:

1. Which map slots are you missing? You laid out two sections, which are ancient ruins and then ruins + demon tech. Which set are you still missing maps for?

2. When are you looking to release Perdition's Gate: Resurgence?

54 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

Two questions:

1. Which map slots are you missing? You laid out two sections, which are ancient ruins and then ruins + demon tech. Which set are you still missing maps for?

2. When are you looking to release Perdition's Gate: Resurgence?

1. Most of the maps submitted thus far have been ruins + demon tech. There's no reason to pick one over the other anymore though.

2. Considering how incredibly slow most community projects take to finish I figured that one episode per year is a good goal to shoot for. So I want this episode completely ready to go by July 2018, but there's no reason why it can't be finished sooner than that.

Dropping a quick screenshot & giving a reminder that this project still need a few mappers to fill out the remaining maps.

TTOgq85.png

Hey, I've got another map here called Sanctuary: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gzk5k0fntw12cm4/PGRsanctuary.wad?dl=0

I created it with the intent of being a possible opening/intro map of sorts with low-tier enemies, since the project was in need of earlier maps. At first I went in with a Tom Mustaine mindset but I think I ended up with a bit more Jimmy Sieben this time around. I also updated my previous entry Mummy Tombs with deathmatch starts since I forgot to insert those the first time: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4kvwxp9ctnob4km/PGRentry.wad?dl=0

The map list on the OP still lists Ruin Escape and the other WIP, when I already divided that map into 2 a few posts ago.

Edited by Gothic

Hey everybody,

Since this project has slowed down to a standstill & we're only waiting on one map I've decided to open up maps 12-20 to be made. What I am wanting for these maps is for people to recreate the tall vertical maps as seen in maps 12-14 of the original Perdition's Gate. The Primary texture scheme here is to use the Grey Perdition's Gate textures & it's variants, several new additions of which have been made by Fuzzball & myself for this project. You can download the resource here or in the OP. Maps 12-20 resource pack. As before there is no claiming of specific spots, I will find the best order for all submitted maps. I'll be making map 15 so no one has to worry about adding a secret exit to their map.

Edited by Jaws In Space

Started working on Map 15 recently, here's an editor shot of what I've got done so far. Layout & detailing are about 75% finished, no things placed yet.

WIP15.png.b89bc777689f81ea516116e7288eaed0.png

Question: Since this is a vanilla wad, should we take in count the character limits for map names?

2 hours ago, Gothic said:

Question: Since this is a vanilla wad, should we take in count the character limits for map names?

Not right now. If map names are too long when I decide the final position I'll let the map author know & well decide weather to just shorten up the name for the automap screen or just change it completely.

12 minutes ago, PepsiBepsi said:

If there are still any slots available, I'd be happy to make one. 

Yeah, there is one space open for the Egyptian Episode & 7 open for the Space Episode.

7 minutes ago, Jaws In Space said:

Yeah, there is one space open for the Egyptian Episode & 7 open for the Space Episode.

Than I guess I'll take one of the space episode slots, perhaps in the style of mustaine. If I get the time to do so, I could also create some midis if you'd like.

19 minutes ago, PepsiBepsi said:

Than I guess I'll take one of the space episode slots, perhaps in the style of mustaine. If I get the time to do so, I could also create some midis if you'd like.

Okay cool, I'll mark you down for one. Be sure to look at maps 13 & 15 for inspiration for your map. And yes, I'd much appreciate some midis for the project.

Is this what you're looking for aesthetically? If not I can change some of the textures. I figured I'd just check with you before I got too far.

image.png.b9b529eafee261ca93110de00edcd7dd.png

image.png.6c4cc531c67346d825c0073b2c9a0b17.png

image.png.bd1936ff90b1806c58edef7d7664cacc.png

image.png.7e946f3b1ab00ef69fd6d3b766b042dc.png

Edited by PepsiBepsi