Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NinjaLiquidator

Looking for FPS that plays like challenge slaughter

I just check the gap on market. Question is clear: has somebody ever created FPS that reminds Deus Vult, Sunder, Sunlust, Stardate by gameplay? If you dont know any, name the closest. I cannot name even one :D

Just now, KVELLER said:

...Serious Sam?

That game isn't anywhere near the quality and depth of Deus Vult or SunLust...

Frankly, I don't think you're gonna find anything, which is mostly due to how modern FPSs are different in their "behaviour". Physics and game mechanics aside, anything that gets close to being slaughtery while also being a modern FPS will most likely be too much for most home-computers. What's more is that slaughtery stuff is considered niche within the confines of this very community, so unless someone doesn't care about spending years on developing a game that is going to sell less than a thousand copies over a decade, you're out of luck.

Just now, Nine Inch Heels said:

Oh, ok. I was just thinking about a game with big hordes of enemies.

6 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I don't think that's what he's asking for, I think he's looking for games that throw high count of enemies at you, Best ones I can think of are Painkiller games, even then the number of enemies isn't very high, but it's somewhat as difficult.

43 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

so unless someone doesn't care about spending years on developing a game that is going to sell less than a thousand copies over a decade, you're out of luck.

Build it and they will come. I bet if a newer single play release came out with Gameplay close to doom alone it would sell well (if done properly), and to double down on that and make it a "hardcore" title would draw many customers in. All in all I think if a new game game tried to accurately replicate Slaughter gameplay it would actually Do quite well.

24 minutes ago, MrGlide said:

Build it and they will come. I bet if a newer single play release came out with Gameplay close to doom alone it would sell well (if done properly), and to double down on that and make it a "hardcore" title would draw many customers in. All in all I think if a new game game tried to accurately replicate Slaughter gameplay it would actually Do quite well.

I think the idea of products finding their audience has some merit to it. On the other hand many a title claimed to be hardcore, only to get shat upon. Hmm... Not sure how I feel about this anymore. If Ribbiks made it, I'd buy it though. ;-)

Ya, The problem with that is many games claim to be something they are trying to be yet fail. In order to accurately replicate good slaughter gameplay it would have to have at least all the depth and nuances of Doom, which few games come even close.

Painkiller: Recurring Evil has over 6k enemies total in just 5 longer levels. The challenge is also definitely there on higher difficulty settings but it doesn't have the best critical responses unlike the original. A big part of the reason for that however is also the fact that it has that slaughterish gameplay with barely any story behind it.

I don't want to be that guy but painkillers gameplay is pretty cake, and isn't very complicated.

Thanks for replies, I was just wondering if somebody ever made something barely similar. I am working on approx Quake3 with approx first-half-of-Sunlust gameplay. So far I have functional engine and next step is to make a game from it - design maps, enemies, weapons - and after thinking about it, Sunlust style seems like a good choice. I am not promising anything, I am not saying any big words. A lot of work waits for me. After actually finishing something, I will post it there.

24 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

Honestly, check out Devil Daggers. It isn't like Sunlust etc as there is no level-based progression in this game. Progression is getting further into the same sequence thanks to your actual skill as a player. It feels insanely rewarding to progress nonetheless.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/422970/Devil_Daggers/

This is more like Grid Wars in 3D but good monsters!

They've really nailed the movement in this game, huge quake-1 vibes. If you can pick it up while it's on sale (right now :P) I'd say it's totally worth the buy. :)

Some Postal 2 mods or higher difficulty levels can be "slaughter" by any definition of the term.

L4D2 is on sale for 2 dollars right now. It's a co-op arcade FPS where you go from safehouse to safehouse dealing with waves of AI zombies and zombies with special abilities that can be controlled by other players or the AI. There are dozens of gamemodes and mutations along with modifications.

When it's out, of course (Coraline and team are doing their best on the Dreamcast port, and I'm excited for when it will be done <3 ). Being as it is a de facto first-person interpretation of Robotron 2084 et al, SLaVE gets kinda micro-slaughter later on; if not through numbers of enemies (I doubt a single wave ever gets close to triple figures) but through forcing the player to clear space to manoeuvre, etc.

So @NinjaLiquidator you're making a slaughter-ish FPS? Awesome. I'll tell you the single most important thing I learned making 50 maps for SLaVE (and then 50 remixed versions of those maps, heh): learn to prevent the player from idly circle-strafing a herd of enemies neatly corralled into the center of an area. I used platforms, death pits, and enemies blocked from entering the center to do this. I'm sure you'll think of something. ;)

2 hours ago, Jayextee said:

@NinjaLiquidator you're making a slaughter-ish FPS? Awesome. I'll tell you the single most important thing I learned making 50 maps for SLaVE (and then 50 remixed versions of those maps, heh):  I used platforms, death pits, and enemies blocked from entering the center to do this. I'm sure you'll think of something. ;)

This cannot happen in my one cause the movement is stricly on AI traces. But the different-sized monsters/ flying monsters that will be added later, will complicate it a bit, for sure :)

Seriously, if you find yourself employing any one strategy to beat multiple levels (with SLaVE I found I was circling the outside track and firing 'inwards' a lot to beat early maps when I tested), then make it your job as game designer to start putting barriers in the way; to stop them exploiting the one thing and experimenting with other gameplay styles. If your level design can't do this, then your monsters should; and vice versa. Ideally, both will.

I know what you talk about - this happened when I enabled AI for all enemies - you just stayed in door and kept waiting till they come. After that I added skipping AI to those who you dont see, and fight setups became very interesting even when I have only hitscanners so far :D.

I guess it will be a lot of fun to design the maps and monsters. Demo had only 3 maps - map1 short and easy, map2 big and easy, and map3 big and hard. It was fun when we were testing it. First time I thought I cant beat map3 by different way than camping, but after a lot of tests I learned it so good that I yoloed map without dying. It will become even more challenging when I will add Archvile and Revenant equivalents ;)

Serious sam

Postal 2 (Sometimes shit gets real and alot of action gets thrown at the player)

ANY Dead Rising

Doom 2016 (Sometimes)

Slaughterish gameplay in Postal 2 is obvious because the engine is quite unoptimized for modern PCs and the framerate takes a big dive.

Is there any slaughter map that doesn't devolve into rocket/plasma/BFG spam? IMO Serious Sam does slaughter better due to the variety of enemies and weapons (even the Tommygun, which is basically Doom's chaingun but with perfect accuracy, remains useful against faraway enemies and large groups of Beheaded), less hitscan, and no monster infighting so you can't just run in circles around the horde and hope for the best. Friendly fire does happen though and when it happens it's always funny.

variety of enemies and weapons? all i remember seeing from someone playing the last level of the first game on Serious difficulty was minigun spam and not using anything else at all against things that charges at you all the time.

24 minutes ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

variety of enemies and weapons? all i remember seeing from someone playing the last level of the first game on Serious difficulty was minigun spam and not using anything else at all against things that charges at you all the time.

Was it the HD version? In HD the minigun uses half ammo for same DPS and on Serious you get double ammo to compensate for you taking a lot of damage whenever you get hit. Sure the Great Pyramid was mostly kleer and bull spam, but if you wanted you could have used the cannon, the laser gun, the rocket launcher, or the grenade launcher. Minigun is great though. Just runs out of ammo way too fast in the Classics and in the new Fusion ports.

1 hour ago, TootsyBowl said:

Is there any slaughter map that doesn't devolve into rocket/plasma/BFG spam?

The first HR actually pulled this off successfully in a couple of places -even forcing the player to use the chainsaw -not even berserker packs- to hold back hordes of pinkies, rather than cheapening out and handing him a BFG, SSG with plentiful ammo or rockets.

35 minutes ago, TootsyBowl said:

Was it the HD version? In HD the minigun uses half ammo for same DPS and on Serious you get double ammo to compensate for you taking a lot of damage whenever you get hit. Sure the Great Pyramid was mostly kleer and bull spam, but if you wanted you could have used the cannon, the laser gun, the rocket launcher, or the grenade launcher. Minigun is great though. Just runs out of ammo way too fast in the Classics and in the new Fusion ports.

huh. i didn't actually know that. nevertheless though, i could've sworn that the minigun in the original First Encounter used up the same amount of ammo as the tommygun, while also retaining the same accuracy, and dealing more damage per bullet compared to the tommygun.