Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Royal_Sir

Those Pentagrams

Know those times hell decides to make you its bitch and spawn in creepy things all the time, even when you thought you were safe? Ever think back to when these occurrences begin to happen?

Think about it. In the beginning, you had an easier time because hell wasn't paying attention to you. You were just another human to be killed. You had breathers.

That changes when you accidently announce your presence to hell.

In Betruger's office, you have to walk over a pentagram in order to progress. Ever since then, it's like hell takes a special notice of you, eyeing your progress, gunning you specifically in their sights.

It's as if intruding on the pentagram alerted them to you, that you were dangerous, or at the very least disrespectful and worthy of special attention.

So, basically if the player could avoid all instances of the pentagram, he would have had better chances at stealthing around without the evil eye of hell focused on him.

They took notice of the marine because he would read out aloud incantations from the Necronomicon and listen to devil music such as The Night Chicago Died.

I think as soon as Doomguy started to actually survive and start taking the Demons out all by himself is when Betruger/The Devil and the Demons took notice. Imagine if you sent in your army and some come back and report some lone enemy solider is wiping out your army. Time to send in the big guns. In fact, I bet the higher tier enemies like the Arch and the Hell Knights might not have needed to go to Mars if it weren't for the Doomguy.

1 hour ago, Caffeine Freak said:

^The UAC logo as well.

I wasn't aware of classic doom guys face being there. Now I'm gonna have to go inspect them again.

Look well, the pentagram itself is incredebile well made. And I even has some easter eggs! 

On 14/9/2017 at 4:17 AM, TFK said:

Betruger's first 'creation'(Jonathan Ishii) was killed. He got angry. He sent pentagrams as stealth machines.

Like, security cameras? 

On 9/16/2017 at 3:53 AM, Anidrex_1009 said:

Like, security cameras? 

They do a poor attempt to scare the shit out of you by showing up from nowhere.

The intensity and priority of pursuit against Doomguy really climbed after the last of Bravo Team died. Sure, there were many lone survivors left still, but most were unarmed scientists in hiding. The only three left that actually posed any threat were Doomguy, Campbell (body guard of Counselor Swan), and Sgt Kelly.

Once Sgt Kelly got converted, things got really bad really fast. I think that's when they decided to call in the big guns and take out the remaining two marines. Mainly because Campbell had the BFG and was proving to be pretty near unstoppable for the majority of the game. Once Kelly took out Campbell, Swan quickly died immediately afterwards.

Sometimes I wonder how different the game would have turned out if Doomguy had actually met up with Campbell and Swan. Remember that mission where you have to make a choice and join a side, in Communications Transfer? It sucks because either way, the outcome remains the same. You can't meet up with the Campbell/Swan crew even if you choose their side because Betruger destroys the bridge leading to their hiding place.

A shame. If the three of them could have united earlier into the game, they'd have probably made for a really great team. Maybe strong enough to have defeated the hell invasion in about half the time.

Actually, if you choose to side with Sgt Kelly in Communications Transfer, you hear his transmission get cut off with static. The sound of enemy Z-Sec soldiers follow. I suspect that this is where Kelly was converted and possessed. You don't hear from him again until much later in the game, and by that point he looks and sounds very different.

That whole Kelly thing still freaks me out. I mean why didn't he just become a regular Z-Sec? He was already an ass but he turned into a super ass once he was converted, and into a damn Strogg tank thing to boot! Like... what?

7 hours ago, RUSH said:

Actually, if you choose to side with Sgt Kelly in Communications Transfer, you hear his transmission get cut off with static. The sound of enemy Z-Sec soldiers follow. I suspect that this is where Kelly was converted and possessed. You don't hear from him again until much later in the game, and by that point he looks and sounds very different.

I seem to recall the opposite: if you choose to defy his orders, his transmission gets cut off in a burst of static. I never took that as meaning he was getting possessed right then, though.

Ahh yeah, you're right. It was after disagreeing. That's the last time you talk to him as an ally though, isn't it?

Doom 3 came out in the Great "Link-Up-With-Other-Soldiers-Whoops-they're-Dead" Era. It would have been fun to run and gun with other soldiers but Doom is about one man on his own against the legions of hell. It's a good theory that somehow violating a pentagram brought him to hell's attention but it was always going to happen. He was wrecking hell's shit every chance he got, they had to deal with him. "That human is running at a hundred miles an hour and punching Hell Knights to death! Deal with him!"

Are pentagrams actually symbols of evil? Doom used popularised ideas of what was satanic without doing any research. For example, upside-down crosses are actually a Christian symbol representing St Peter. This means that morons who spray upside-down crosses on churches are actually contributing to the spiritual well-being of the Christian faith.