Name 5 Albums That You Would Listen To For The Rest Of Your Life

1. Haken - Aquarius
  2. Haken - Visions
  3. Haken - The Mountain
  4. Haken - Restoration
  5. Haken - Affinity

Piece of cake.

17 hours ago, Ajora said:

I really like Obsessed by Cruelty, but I think it's easily one of Sodom's weaker albums (particularly the North American version). If I were to make a list of this nature, Nightside and Storm would also both be on there somewhere, along with Pleasure to Kill. 

edit: Pardon my unintended necromancy. I didn't realize just how old thread is.

I respect your opinion about that, I can't argue about the awesomeness of all the 80's Sodom's records, they're all masterpieces and among my favorite albums ever. I just have a little preference for Obssessed by cruelty for its low-fi, raw and dirty sound. Otherwise, I would have took Endless Pain or Infernal Overkill.

Hmm... quite the challenge. If I have to pick 5 albums, I'll probably go for:

1. Celldweller - "Wish Upon a Blackstar"

2. Stephen - "Sincerely"

3. Linkin Park - "Hybrid Theory"

4. Various Artists - Bloodborne OST

5. 3TEETH - "3TEETH"

In no particular order of course.

1. Metallica - Black Album

2. Kid Rock - Devil Without a Cause

3. Eminem - Marshall Mathers LP

4. Alice in Chains - Dirt

5. Alice in Chains - Unplugged

8 minutes ago, Mayhem666 said:

I respect your opinion about that, I can't argue about the awesomeness of all the 80's Sodom's records, they're all masterpieces and among my favorite albums ever. I just have a little preference for Obssessed by cruelty for its low-fi, raw and dirty sound. Otherwise, I would have took Endless Pain or Infernal Overkill.

One of the things I love so much about Sodom is just how eclectic their discography is, and yet every album has always maintained a signature war-like, guttural feeling to it. I love all eras of the band roughly about the same, and singling out a favourite album is a tough order.  

2 minutes ago, Ajora said:

One of the things I love so much about Sodom is just how eclectic their discography is, and yet every album has always maintained a signature war-like, guttural feeling to it. I love all eras of the band roughly about the same, and singling out a favourite album is a tough order.  

I honestly divide Sodom in simply 2 eras: black metal and thrash metal. From the first era In the Sign of Evil, and from the latter Persecution Mania.

They most likely maintained their signature due to Tom, being pretty much the only constant in the band.

1.) Symphony X - V: The New Mythology Suite

2.) Queensryche - Empire

3.) Alice in Chains - Dirt

4.) Tool - Undertow

5.) Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral

1) Tago Mago / Can

2) In Somniphobia / Sigh

3) First Come, First Served / Dr. Dooom (Kool Keith)

4) Slates EP / The Fall

5) Hank Williams Sr. singles collection

Artists I couldn't include that I would most miss: Three 6 Mafia, Frank Zappa, Emperor, The Residents, Magma, Cluster, Iannis Xenakis, Prince, Loretta Lynn, Gucci Mane

1 hour ago, SGS Man said:

3. Linkin Park - "Hybrid Theory"

This was number 6 for me, but since Crawling was on the compilation CD I chose I gave it a miss. :P LP was huge for me in my late childhood / early teens.

9 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

This was number 6 for me, but since Crawling was on the compilation CD I chose I gave it a miss. :P LP was huge for me in my late childhood / early teens.

Same.

HT and Meteora will always be what LP means or used to mean, too bad they turned into shit afterwards... it was great while it lasted.

22 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

Funnily enough, I somewhat like "Crawling". That being said, "Hybrid Theory" is the only good LP album in my opinion.

But damn it, it's nothing short of fantastic!

4 hours ago, Agent6 said:

No Krisiun as well, I always found them better than Kataklysm, especially in the vocal department.

I don't have any of their music but my brother does....they are pretty brutal, especially since it's just 3 members.

2 hours ago, Agent6 said:

I honestly divide Sodom in simply 2 eras: black metal and thrash metal. From the first era In the Sign of Evil, and from the latter Persecution Mania.

They most likely maintained their signature due to Tom, being pretty much the only constant in the band.

I have quite a difficult time calling this black metal though, like early Bathory, it has nothing to do with the typical black metal we have today, it's more like 80's version of black metal, people like Varg also called those bands thrash back in time.

7 hours ago, Chewyninja69 said:

DUDE....The Birthday Massacre is awesome....You're the only other person I've seen on here who likes them. Cool beans.

Hi there.

Spoiler

0egRy7H.jpg

Moksha - Mindworx 97-99

Moving Shadow 99.1

DJ Basilisk - Earthfest 2015

Return to the Source - The Chakra Journey

Entheogenic - Spontaneous Illumination

Most of them are double cd's so there's plenty of music. Also they're what I've been listening to recently a lot. Don't seem to get bored of them. I could flip the Entheogenic for Jam & Spoon - Tripomatic Fairytales 2001, because the 2nd cd in RTTS is kinda similar chillout music, so there'd be more variety. Alternatively it could also be some mix tape album with some other favourite songs.

13 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress

Metallica - Ride The Lightning 

Eiffel 65 - Europop

Ice Cube - Death Certificate 

John Anderson - Seminole Wind

Death Certificate over Lethal Injection.  Heresy, says I!

(And that is quite an odd assortment of musical variety.  The venn diagrams of those music genres do not overlap.)

5 is not many. Staying away from listing any non-original albums.

Rice/Webber - Jesus Christ Superstar (soundtrack) (1973)
Phil Ochs - Rehearsals for Retirement(1968)
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway(1974)
Adam Ant - Dirk Wears White Sox(1979)
Renaissance - Scheherazade and other Stories(1975)

Maybe, just maybe, that shows my age....  If I re-chose these tomorrow, I might swap out a couple.  It is a tough balance between "Desert Island Disc" choices and personal favorites.  Certainly some musicals and diverse albums(like the Beatles White Album) are attractive choices due to their varied content... of course that depends upon your musical taste.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Metal Gear Solid V - The Phantom Pain Extended Soundtrack

Rise of the Triad OST

cirka.mid

Death - Symbolic

In Flames - Colony

35 minutes ago, Opulent said:

(And that is quite an odd assortment of musical variety.  The venn diagrams of those music genres do not overlap.)

I gotta have some variety. It'd be easier for me to pick 5 metal albums but I can't spend the next 70 years listening to chugga chuggas

On 7/3/2017 at 7:21 PM, Egg Boy said:

What a tough question!

1. Aesop Rock - The Impossible Kid

2. Mos Def - The Ecstatic

3. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly

4. Gorillaz - Plastic Beach (Really close to putting Demon Days here)

5. MF DOOM - MM...FOOD

I'm a huge MF Doom fanboy, but for the sake of variety (y'know, since this is would be my only source of music) I put some other favorites up there.

Really interested in seeing other peoples' choices.

ohhh shit me too! great picks, here's mine:

1. Tool - Lateralus

2. Kendrick Lamar- good kid, m.a.a.d city

3. MF DOOM - Operation Doomsday

4. Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92

5. BROCKHAMPTON - Saturation 3

This is just off the top of my head, there's probably better ones I could've chosen, but it's got variety and I like it. 

8 hours ago, Mayhem666 said:

I have quite a difficult time calling this black metal though, like early Bathory, it has nothing to do with the typical black metal we have today, it's more like 80's version of black metal, people like Varg also called those bands thrash back in time.

For its time, In the Sign of Evil was very much pure bm, but then they got much thrashier on Obssessed and changed the style completely afterwards. Still, even for today I find labelling the EP anything less that '80s bm blasphemy lol. But of course nowadays bm sounds pretty different from how it did at the time, despite the existence of plenty old school bands. In fact a while ago I've read there's also a so-called third wave with bands like Judas Iscariot and Demoncy. That doesn't make any sense to me however, if I am to find a third wave that's easily going to be post Deathspell Omega works since their style was very different from what other bands did at the time Paracletus came out. But honestly I was never too much into DsO, and I prefer Negative Plane's Stained Glass Revelations over Paracletus anytime.

Early Bathory as in around and at the time of the debut album yes, in comparison they were just a much darker and rawer kind of thrash. Real bm Bathory came into being only with The Return.

8 hours ago, Chewyninja69 said:

I don't have any of their music but my brother does....they are pretty brutal, especially since it's just 3 members.

Then go get some m8, what are ya waitin' for, Black Force Domain and Conquerors of Armageddon are masterpieces, easily putting anything Kataklysm did to shame.

3 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Then go get some m8, what are ya waitin' for, Black Force Domain and Conquerors of Armageddon are masterpieces, easily putting anything Kataklysm did to shame.

I've listened to their stuff before; I like it alot. I can get it from my brother anytime. But, Kataklysm man. It would take a Herculean effort by anyone to put them to shame, imo. Not saying Krisiun could or couldn't. As an aside, I met Maurizio (vocalist) and Stéphane (bassist) from Kataklysm at the only show of theirs that I've been to. And I was totally star-struck. It's weird because they're not famous in the sense of, like, being movie stars or athletes. They play a specific kind of music that only a certain kind of people like.

Anyway, the show I seen them at was very small venue and I seen them mingle into the tiny crowd and said to my friend who went with me, "Dude, look over there. It's the fucking vocalist and bassist of Kataklysm!" And NO ONE was around them. They were just standing there, conversing, looking at the stage. No one was fanboying/girling out. It felt wrong, so we went over and introduced ourselves and shook their hands. And they were the most soft-spoken, nicest guys you could imagine; a 180 from their "perceived" stage act. Oh yeah, almost forgot. The show was on 6/6/06....lol, kinda funny.

On 2/21/2018 at 8:23 PM, bioshockfan90 said:

ohhh shit me too! great picks, here's mine:

1. Tool - Lateralus

2. Kendrick Lamar- good kid, m.a.a.d city

3. MF DOOM - Operation Doomsday

4. Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92

5. BROCKHAMPTON - Saturation 3

This is just off the top of my head, there's probably better ones I could've chosen, but it's got variety and I like it. 

haha, BROCKHAMPTON might be somewhere on mine now, as well. I think if I were to rewrite this now, Tyler, The Creator's Flower Boy would replace the Ecstatic, and Demon Days would replace Plastic Beach (but those 2 could go either way for me, tbh) I might also replace The Impossible Kid with Atrocity Exhibition (Danny Brown) or Doris (Earl Sweatshirt). The Doom album is also interchangeable with Madvillainy. I'd likely never change To Pimp a Butterfly because it's my favorite album of all time. Good picks though, can't say I've listened to a lot of Tool or Aphex Twin.

1 hour ago, Egg Boy said:

haha, BROCKHAMPTON might be somewhere on mine now, as well. I think if I were to rewrite this now, Tyler, The Creator's Flower Boy would replace the Ecstatic, and Demon Days would replace Plastic Beach (but those 2 could go either way for me, tbh) I might also replace The Impossible Kid with Atrocity Exhibition (Danny Brown) or Doris (Earl Sweatshirt). The Doom album is also interchangeable with Madvillainy. I'd likely never change To Pimp a Butterfly because it's my favorite album of all time. Good picks though, can't say I've listened to a lot of Tool or Aphex Twin.

I enjoy all of those albums. Pretty rare to see someone with musical tastes outside of OSTs, metal, or electronic music on these forums. I'd gush about music all day but that'd be derailing the thread. PM me sometime if you wanna talk music, I'm down!

Every album becomes nothing more than a repetitive noise after hearing it 100+ times. And every song gives the emotion just after long time of not hearing it. It must "charge". So I would say the longest, most songs-in-one albums of mixed genres are the right answer.

What? I definitely listened to some records more than 100 times and it still brings me the same nostalgic feelings and emotions as when I first heard them years ago.

5 hours ago, Mayhem666 said:

What? I definitely listened to some records more than 100 times and it still brings me the same nostalgic feelings and emotions as when I first heard them years ago.

This is especially true for classics.

One can pretty much listen to them a million times and they'd still feel fresh and nostalgic compared to everything done nowadays due to the missing magic and spirit these releases had.

Probably any album by Sabaton, World Painted Blood by Slayer, The Nexus by Amaranthe, Deadache by Lordi, and uhhhhh does the Duke Nukem 3D OST count as an album? Because I'd go with that as well. It's hard to choose tbh, my ears are a musical dumpster, I enjoy too much stuff to make a definitive choice.

5 hours ago, Agent6 said:

This is especially true for classics.

One can pretty much listen to them a million times and they'd still feel fresh and nostalgic compared to everything done nowadays due to the missing magic and spirit these releases had.

There's a few songs for me approaching the million times listened to... lol