Damn, of all the albums I've listened too... I guess I'd pick these

"Disintegration" - The Cure

"Serpentine Gallery" - Switchblade Symphony

"Portrait of An American Family" - Marilyn Manson

"The Downward Spiral" - Nine Inch Nails

"Demon Days" - Gorillaz

London elektricity - "Yikes!"

Meshuggah - obZen

KOAN sound - the adventures of Mr. Fox (Not really an album but hey..)

Florence and the machine - Ceremonials

Editors - unedited

Selecting five albums that I can enjoy the entirety of while allowing myself a good variety of music and forsaking all others is a stringent choice. However, over the years I have encountered such albums:

Connect.Ohm - 9980

MxPx - Slowly Going the Way of the Buffalo

Esselfortium - A Terrible Flood 

Static-X - Wisconsin Death Trip

Cowboy Bebop OST 1

Off the top of my head and without thinking about it too much, I came up with these.

6 hours ago, YukiRaven said:

That is a damn good album.

I love all of their three albums, it was hard to pick. But I think this one is my favorite.

Did you just listened to it, or have you heard it before?

I'd pick VGM exclusively in this case. Probably something like this:

Command & Conquer (Frank Klepacki)

DOOM (Mick Gordon)

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Ludvig Forssell/Various other artists)

Shogo: Mobile Armor Division (Daniel Bernstein/Guy Whitmore)

Blood II: The Chosen (Daniel Bernstein/Guy Whitmore)

Like what @CARRiON did, if the list was for OSTs, mine would be;

Unreal Tournament (1999)

Unreal Tournament 2004

Quake (1996)

Doom (2016)

Civilization III (2001)

4 hours ago, YukiRaven said:

@nxGangGirl Oh I've had the album for a few years now, so I've heard it before.

Ah, I gotcha

Wish You Were Here (1975) - Pink Floyd

Calling All Stations (1997) - Genesis

Foxtrot (1972) - Genesis

Octavarium (2005) - Dream Theater

Ocean (1977) - Eloy

Runner-ups:

Mars Polaris (1999) - Tangerine Dream

The Astonishing (2016) - Dream Theater

Broken China (1995) - Richard Wright

Metallica - ...And Justice For All

Billy Joel - The Essential

The Bealtes - Revolver

Metallica - Hardwired... to Self Destruct

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

MEtallica: Ride the Lightning

Disturbed: The Sickness

Fury: Fury Soundtrack

Godsmack: The Other Side

Andrew Huschult: Doom OST

On 7/3/2017 at 9:01 PM, Mayhem666 said:

Well this is nearly impossible for me to tell, but if it was for the rest of my life, i would need music for my constant mood change...

1. Bathory - Twilight of the Gods (One of my favorite album ever, viking!)

2. Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse (takes me into a dark atmosphere)

3. Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane (My love for this entire black/death melodic genre)

4. Iron Maiden - Killers (A childhood memory classic that i never got tired of after 10 years) 

5. Sodom - Obssessed by Cruelty (For my lust of 80's German raw and thrash violence)

Probably not my top 5 though, because i wouldn't be able to do so. Too much good albums out there.

I really like Obsessed by Cruelty, but I think it's easily one of Sodom's weaker albums (particularly the North American version). If I were to make a list of this nature, Nightside and Storm would also both be on there somewhere, along with Pleasure to Kill. 

edit: Pardon my unintended necromancy. I didn't realize just how old thread is.

Neutral Milk Hotel: In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

Modest Mouse: The Moon and Antarctica

Tom Waits: Mule Variations

Slayer: Reign in Blood

Nomeansno: 0+2=1

In reality I'd probably find the best-ofs for five bands that I consider long-term favourites, particularly if (like the Iron Maiden ones) they're double- or triple-albums. Compilations would also be worth considering for the same reason, particularly as I have quite a few... However, in the spirit of this thread, I'll try and think of proper albums that are both enjoyable in their entirety (or near enough) and sufficiently definitive for me that I wouldn't feel like I was missing much outside of them.

• Eminem - The Eminem Show
    • This was really an easy choice, as it was my first album by him and better than all that's come since, whilst being more enjoyable than either Slim Shady LP or Marshall Mathers LP (although I would certainly miss a few songs off of both, as well as some newer ones)
  • Lamb of God - Sacrament
    • This album just edges out Ashes of the Wake by having Redneck and Descending on it and beats the newer three albums by sounding a bit cleaner, more polished and having more distinctive songs on it
  • Metallica - Master of Puppets
    • Properly difficult here, as picking Metallica in such a small list mean missing Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax to allow for more variety, whilst this particular album has strong competition from Ride the Lightning at the very least. Really would need a multi-disk best-of here, which would probably include most of this album anyway
  • Steel Panther - Feel the Steel
    • It's either this or Balls Out; both are fantastic, fun and full of good old-fashioned heavy metal
  • Yashin - Put Your Hands Where I Can See Them
    • It's a feel-good album mixing softer sections and heavier bits. I don't think there's a single song I don't like on here and quite a few that I love

That's actually pretty agonising. I could probably name twenty albums on a one-per-band basis and still feel like I'm missing out massively. Likewise, if I had to write a list like this tomorrow, only The Eminem Show would be safe as a representative of a different genre. Really, I'd want Five Finger Death Punch, Disturbed, Iron Maiden, some sort of Melodic Death Metal, something like A Day To Remember... I could go on forever.

Turbonegro - Apocalypse Dudes. This is the one by far, but I'll pick four more since I have the luxury! My favorite album, incredible incredible stuff.

Motörhead - No Remorse. Picking just one album of Motorhead's is an impossible task. This is a compilation from the 80s with four original songs as well, including the great Killed By Death.

Electric Six - Señor Smoke. Tough to pick one album, and their debut Fire has a lot of their classics like Gay Bar and Danger High Voltage. But this second album for me really sums up their sound over the years, really hits the spot for me. Includes a Queen cover too, which is nice to have.

Chromeo - White Women. Sometimes you gotta get smooth and funky, so hanging out with these two Canadian Casanovas would make that island a paradise. If this was a deserted on an island kind of thing.

Kavinsky - OutRun. I would need something awesome that is instrumental (less vocals) on the island as well, less distracting and whatnot in some ways, and it's just a great album. I'm just choosing to live the rest of my life on an island, to make other music albums less tempting.

Edited by PsychoGoatee

This is absurdly difficult....

Frank Zappa - Apostrophe

Alice in Chains - Facelift

NIN - Pretty Hate Machine

Best of the 80s featuring Paul Young, Pet Shop Boys and Genesis (HA! You didn't say anything about compilations! Bendin' those rules!)

Edge Of Sanity - Crimson

Albums that I would literally be crying over losing if this happened:

The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour, Rubber Soul and Revolver

Literally Zappa's entire discography

A lot of Weird Al's stuff

A bunch of misc songs I've loved over the years, even by artists I'm not that big on overall.

I'd fucking die if that was all I had for the rest of my life! Like Maisth said, I'd definitely be making more of my own music if it came to this.

Edited by Doomkid

Non-VGM spin:

Chelsea Wolfe - Hiss Spun

Crystal Castles - III

$uicideboy$- Eternal Grey

Sidewalks & Skeletons - Future Ghosts

Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile

I'd miss my Crim3s, H09909, Bring Me the Horizon and many, many others though... :(

Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress

Metallica - Ride The Lightning 

Eiffel 65 - Europop

Ice Cube - Death Certificate 

John Anderson - Seminole Wind

On 7/4/2017 at 1:50 AM, Nevander said:

4. Lost Horizon - Awakening the World

5. Lost Horizon - A Flame to the Ground Beneath

Yay!

As for me:

Judas Priest - Painkiller

Dio - The Last In Line

Darkthrone - Under A Funeral Moon

Lost Horizon - Awakening the World

Lost Horizon - A Flame to the Ground Beneath

amongst others, of course

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon

Supertramp - Crime on the century

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing (lol)

Ozric Tentacles - Technicians of the Sacred

Big Big Train - English Eletric

Radiohead- OK Computer

Tame Impala- Lonerism

Bjork- Homogenic

U2- Achtung Baby

Arcade Fire- Funeral

Time and time again I've answered this question with different answers. I think I'd be more likely to end myself than to allow such a limitation, heh. Music is something that means a lot to me - the emotions it can make me feel, coupled with the memories I attach to different pieces of music means that music not only defines who I am, but in a way it can remind me of who I was and the important times in my life.

That said, based on my current mood / who I am today I would probably pick the following albums, assuming compilations and OSTs are allowed:

Coheed & Cambria - Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV: From Fear Through The Eyes of Madness

- This is probably the only album I can say without any hesitation that I want for the rest of my life. <3

Kerrang! Album 2
    - This is a 2 disc compilation of all the good shit I enjoyed when I was growing up)

CHON - Grow
    - This album is nearly word-less but the music consistently makes me feel good and I've got good memories attached to it.

Rush - Hemispheres

- A shame this album is only 30ish minutes long, because it's a fucking masterpiece!

The full OST of Grandia

- I've clung to this OST for a long time. Certain pieces of music from it have gained meaning for me well outside of the game it's from and is my go to when I need to focus and/or need to calm down.

Interesting thread to necro btw. :)

This is a damn difficult choice since I like hundreds of albums, literally.

But to really force it, I think I'd choose the following but obviously still not be satisfied with the result, it's impossible to choose only 5 (and no death, doom, and thrash + other non-metal genres I like?):

1. Immortal - Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism.

2. Antaeus - Blood Libels/Cut Your Flesh and Worship Satan.

3. Bathory - The Return.... .

4. Armagedda - Ond Spiritism.

5. Ancient Rites - The Diabolic Serenades.

On 7/3/2017 at 6:25 PM, Neurosis said:

Basically like the video game thread, if you had only 5 musical albums to choose which would they be? and remember these albums are going to be your only source of music and you have to listen to them for the rest of your life, so make it count!

so basically a top 5 albums thread.

1. Akira Yamaoka - Silent Hill 3 OST

2. Lana Del Rey - Honeymoon

3. Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks

4. The Birthday Massacre - Walking With Strangers

5. 2814 - 新しい日の誕生

DUDE....The Birthday Massacre is awesome....You're the only other person I've seen on here who likes them. Cool beans.

On 7/4/2017 at 0:58 PM, Nine Inch Heels said:

London elektricity - "Yikes!"

Meshuggah - obZen

KOAN sound - the adventures of Mr. Fox (Not really an album but hey..)

Florence and the machine - Ceremonials

Editors - unedited

Love me some Meshuggah.... Bleed and Pravus are my faves from that album.

Kate Bush - Hounds Of Love*

Accept - Balls To The Wall

Peter Gabriel - So

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Ozzy Osbourne - Ozzmosis

*In my childhood I played Quake with this music. Because they fit perfectly together (in my opinion). 

Hmmm, this is such a fascinating subject. And I think for a lot of people, their "top 5s" or "5 albums you would listen to for (insert length of time here)" would/could change from week to week or year to year. So here's my 5 albums at this moment, in no particular order:

1.) The Birthday Massacre, "Under Your Spell"

2.) Tool, "Aenima"

3.) Rammstein, "Rosenrot"

4.) Terhen, "Eyes Unfolded"

5.) Amesoeurs, "Amesoeurs"

That was brutally agonizing. It wouldn't be so bad if I could make like mix tapes or greatest hits of each band listed into 1 album each, but oh well. Honorable mentions go to Amon Amarth, A Perfect Circle, Eminem, Kataklysm and Keep Shelly In Athens. This is/was an awesome thread.

1 hour ago, Chewyninja69 said:

Kataklysm

No Krisiun as well, I always found them better than Kataklysm, especially in the vocal department.