DM: None

Difficulty settings: Yes

Music: "Ambiance" by Jimmy

DeHackEd: Yes

Tested in: PrBoom+, ZDoom

Screenshot_Doom_20170704_234435.png

Edited by Obsidian

This is like a breath of fresh air!

I didn't create a demo. For some reason, a demo in the middle throws the GZDoom on the desktop :[
But it was still cool! A small masterpiece, beyond all estimates.

Spoiler

After the running key got released and turned out to be non-collectible by running into it, I came to believe that I'm supposed to chase the key to somewhere where the key will activate some linedef that I can't reach myself, like triggering the red door from the other side by bumping into it from the front side, or going into some hidden alcove with low ceiling with an action linedef in it. After half an hour of chasing the key around the whole map with IDDT on, I gave up and used IDKFA to get past the red door. My mind was blown and I felt silly when I watched Alfonzo's demo revealing that I was supposed to shoot the key. Anyway, without IDKFA and IDDT, I wouldn't be able to pass the next puzzle with switches. The self-reviving Archvile impressed me a lot, I need to see how it's done. In the end, I jumped down the pit and the Archvile with me, I pressed the switches, the Archvile got caged, and then it appeared I was stuck so I was going to quit the game, when the Archvile unexpectedly started getting crushed. Interesting map, good atmosphere, impressive features, but I was seriously turned off by the unintuitiveness of the intended gameplay - the "switches behind timed doors opening when Archvile dies" puzzle in particular, due to the very limited available ammo, seems extremely unlikely to be solved by anyone without either preknowledge, cheating, or endurance for using a bare fist to repeatedly kill a high-HP monster with a strong attack and infinite self-reviving ability.

Edited by scifista42

Played for some. Really cool mood in this map (I also used this great track in a map of mine), liked the vile pictures, the appearance of it from one of them and the RS which escape from you. I don't understand how to kill vile though so I feel I miss a good portion of the map; cool stuff from what I saw

Spoiler

self-resurrecting vile is very great

Pure genius. Only thing I hated was the weapon. Maybe a SSG in medium and easy would be better, it's no fun whittling skinnyman down with a normal shotgun. The lack of ammo makes it pretty hard to find all switches as well.

Funnily enough the original iteration had even less ammo: I know, it's crazy. SSG on easy and medium is a good suggestion though, I'll take it under advisement.

The map has been updated with difficulty settings! Medium and Easy give you a super shotgun and Easy gives you 100 extra health.

Looks like I had missed this completely.

Clever map, here's my FDA if you're interested. I thought I did quite well although it took me a while to figure out the thing with the AV. But I may have done something wrong since it seems I got stuck in the cage in the end?

skinnyman_FDA_Veinen.zip

I didn't watch the whole FDA through (maybe I'm getting lazy in my old age), so I didn't see how you got stuck in the cage at the end. Did the Arch-Vile launch you in there or something? Generally you're supposed to hit the 4 switches behind the red banners and then lure the Vile into the cage: you then close the door and activate the teleporting barrels to kill it for good. If something went wrong then I'm anxious to know.

I managed to hit all 4 switches behind the red banners, and after I hit the fourth one the AV didn't resurrect anymore. So I just dropped into the cage, pressed both switches, barrels teleport in, and then nothing. The bars locking me in didn't raise so I was (seemingly, at least) stuck. I waited there for a couple of minutes before quitting.

So it seems like the problem was that the AV was supposed to resurrect again? I did kill him twice before realizing the switches behind banners thing so did I just run out of Arch-viles? :D

Argh, that is an occasional bug that happens. The Archie is supposed to be only vulnerable in the cage, but for some reason you can kill it in specific areas of the map and it won't resurrect correctly. There's not a whole lot I can do about it. :/