Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maisth

Another Little Cool Effect

I was experimenting with scripts and i came up with an idea that when you open a Door it lights up and creates shadows depending of the place, but i wanted it to be repeatable like Duke Nukem 3D Does so this is what it came.

I'll admit I've never used this and don't know if it's any different from what you did, but since you mentioned scripting I'm assuming ZDoom:

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Door_Open

11:Door_Open (tag, speed, lighttag)

tag: Tag of affected sector

speed: How quickly the door opens

lighttag: Tag of sector to perform a gradual lighting effect in

[...]

If lighttag is non-zero a gradual lighting effect is done in the tagged sectors. The light is gradually changed between the darkest neighboring sector when the door is fully closed and the brightest neighboring sector when the door is fully open.

1 hour ago, Albertoni said:

I'll admit I've never used this and don't know if it's any different from what you did, but since you mentioned scripting I'm assuming ZDoom:

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Door_Open

11:Door_Open (tag, speed, lighttag)

tag: Tag of affected sector

speed: How quickly the door opens

lighttag: Tag of sector to perform a gradual lighting effect in

[...]

If lighttag is non-zero a gradual lighting effect is done in the tagged sectors. The light is gradually changed between the darkest neighboring sector when the door is fully closed and the brightest neighboring sector when the door is fully open.

Nope i didn't use Lighttag at the time of this video i didn't even know what it was, i suppose it was function of Changing the current tag to a new one after the event.

1 hour ago, facelessdoomer said:

This is actually sweet, how do you do this?

I used Int (Integer) to manage this 

Edited by Maisth

This effect is actually supported in plain old Boom:

Since a push door (P1/PR) has no use for its tag, BOOM has extended the functionality to include changing any tagged sectors to maximum neighbor lighting on fully opening, then to minimum neighbor lighting on fully closing.

I did something similar in MAP34 of my Doom 64 TC, except I take the door edge into account and change the light against the back wall as the door lowers.

Already seen in a Tomb Raider inspired doom map, I don't remember the name...

I wonder why people comes up with old idea branding them as "new". It is probably because they don't know all the precedents of doom mapping, all the maps created before they were even born, maybe. I think it is fine not to know everything on a subject, but I really see too much rediscovering the hot water (as we say).

9 hours ago, Angry Saint said:

Already seen in a Tomb Raider inspired doom map, I don't remember the name...

I wonder why people comes up with old idea branding them as "new". It is probably because they don't know all the precedents of doom mapping, all the maps created before they were even born, maybe. I think it is fine not to know everything on a subject, but I really see too much rediscovering the hot water (as we say).

I never called it new infact this was in Duke Nukem 3D Before it was in Doom and any other 3D FPS Game, its an old trick but because people forget about it they think its new but its not.