Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
atroche

What I found by watching a twenty-year-old Doom II deathmatch

On 7/4/2017 at 4:57 PM, atroche said:

Hello! I went down a rabbit-hole the last couple of days, getting absorbed in the mid-90s and early 2000s Doom II scene. I was up all night trawling through www.doom2.net and Wayback Machine copies of DoomNation, Doomworld and Planet Quake.

Anyway, it inspired me to make a video about a 1-on-1 deathmatch I found. I'm no expert, and there might be some things I've gotten wrong about deathmatching, so I'd love to get your feedback.

Cheers!

that's a nice time capsule. those were the lans, as i remember them too. we hauled those heavy crt's in someone's basement and fueled our rage with coke and energy drinks. now connections are fast, and mandatory for most games, so everyone remains alone in his basement with a cold piece of pizza.

i have seen those demos of galiu, and the anders / ocelot games and should still have them on my old external disk. together with bahdko's "facility.wad" for practicing deathmatch skills, thanks for that.

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

Man, that video totally blew up, well over 100k hits already

Looks like the YT recommendation algo likes it. Also the comments are an example of why we don't want average "gamers" here.

haha 100k hits or w/e. Good that he cut the video before I lost too bad I guess =p   I get/got fatigued after the 50 frag mark and generally preferred 50 frag games. Galiu preferred these marathon 100 frag games. I didn't play as well in the last half of these 100 frag map1 games. I wonder what the score was when one of us reached 50.

Edited by BahdKo

On 7/8/2017 at 9:07 AM, BahdKo said:

haha aw, ppl watching the old videos :) . I should port the link over to my windows machine and watch/listen.

Hi Bahdko, wonder if you remember me from IRC and playing in Ames in '95. Got into a discussion with one of my old friends I played deathmatch back in those days, searched for some old doom2 lmps, and fount this video from atroche. Mostly wanted to say hi to you, Bahdko, as it's been such a long while.

I noticed, too, atroche missed a few things in the video commentary. I won't forget some of the various discussions we had about game skill, gameplay mechanics, and such, particularly after that piece-of-shit game Quake came out.

6 minutes ago, Sseht said:

particularly after that piece-of-shit game Quake came out.

Is Clan Quake Sucks still active??

13 hours ago, Sseht said:

Hi Bahdko, wonder if you remember me from IRC and playing in Ames in '95. Got into a discussion with one of my old friends I played deathmatch back in those days, searched for some old doom2 lmps, and fount this video from atroche. Mostly wanted to say hi to you, Bahdko, as it's been such a long while.

I noticed, too, atroche missed a few things in the video commentary. I won't forget some of the various discussions we had about game skill, gameplay mechanics, and such, particularly after that piece-of-shit game Quake came out.

Sseht!!!! Wow so there you are. :)  Some ppl hang out in quakenet #nightmare (usually idle tho) if you are up for checking IRC these days. Someone in there pointed me to your post here.

Great to see you peeking around. And, hell, it's been quite some time, yeah.

Oh and on Clan QS: It lives on in our hearts, of course. Because quake will never not suck. It's perma suck. I mean.. core characteristic.

Bahd^QS forever yep

Me and Sseht go back. It's like, he always understood right where I was coming from, and I understood right where he was coming from. We could talk about the same shit and everything made perfect sense to both of us. It was like two people of the same mind. How often do you find someone that you relate to that well? 

So this video popped up for me on youtube. Was shocked to see Bahdkos picture at the start! Thankfully the video had a url to this forum post, so I could stop in and say hi! I see Sseht is here as well! I haven't heard from you in forever! Hope you both are doing well. I cannot believe that I still remember watching that lmp from back then! I miss the old doom days. I still haven't found a game as fast paced as doom. LOL at clan QS! Didn't you have me work on the website for it? I remember doing something with it.

So are either of you still actively playing? Last time I played doom, was with Domains and Tracilords, like a year ago on ZDaemon. The only competitive games I've been playing lately is Street Fighter 5 and Splatoon 2. But I really just play them casually.

Well, hit me up thru private message when you see this and we can catch up! Later!

Wow, Hi Spinal! Thx to Dewww on IRC Quakenet #nightmare for pointing this post out.

Prvmsg sent

CLAN QS FOREVER. Yes I remember you being in Clan QS and pretty sure you had something up on it's little web site. Members generally wrote essays for it, at least.

On 8/28/2017 at 4:33 AM, adoctor said:

Can't believe how young we were. 

Stumbled across this thread/video, drew me to sign up for a new account. 1997 feels like yesterday. That's the crazy thingl.

LOL! That's me drinking something out of a Coke cup at 0:39 in the video (August 2003).

In July 2001, I had the pleasure of watching a chicken stroll around where Zokum was sleeping on the floor (same apartment as the Corn Flakes kitchen).

Good times.

LANs attended (not including those with only local players), at least:

- 2-person LAN at Ocelot's place in Helsinki, Finland (July 2001)
- International LAN in Stavanger, Norway (July 2001)
- International LAN in Rijen, Netherlands (July 2002)
- 2-person LAN with Ocelot at my place in Turku, Finland (August 2002)
- 3-person LAN with Ocelot at my place in Turku, Finland (September 2002)
- MindTrekLAN in Tampere, Finland (November 2002); 2nd place in classic Doom 2 DM tournament - received amazing 100 EUR price.
- International LAN in Virginia, USA (August 2003)
- International LAN at my place in Turku, Finland (July 2005)

I used Win98 + doom2.exe + ipxsetup.exe at all those LANs.

My first deathmatch played over the Internet happened on March 20th, 1994 (dial-up to a Unix server where I was able to run a program called IHHD, then drop to DOS and run sersetup.exe).

To celebrate the 30 year anniversary of Doom, on Dec 10th, I showed the game to my kids (10 & 12 years old) for the first time and let them play it. And now during the x-mas holidays, I connected three Win10 laptops with cat6 ethernet cables and got prboom+ (with complevel 2) running quite nicely. So we've been playing some DM as well as coop with my brother, my kids and one of my brother's kids. Everyone agrees Doom is an awesome game. :D

I can unfortunately confirm the chicken story. It made waking up a rather bizarre experience... I believe this was the party where a barbecue accidentally set a small portion of Anders' parents wooden terrace on fire. _df was quick to quench it with some water. It was then agreed on that _df was short for dutch fireman, him being dutch and all.

I was at Assembly in Helsinki about 1.5 years ago and met up with Bahdko and ocelot. It was a fun trip and a great computer party.