Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TootsyBowl

On the Usage of Possesed UAC Soldiers, also known as Zombies

Alright, now that we've got the flamboyant title out of the way let's get to the meat of the subject.

Those gun toting zombies are everywhere, aren't they? Even in the deepest pits of Hell they seem to outnumber the actual demons. In Doom 2016 they explained it by explicitly stating that the zombies in Hell were serving the demons. (Disclaimer: I have not played Doom 2016 and all I know about it is from the wiki.) In more techbase-y or urban levels like the first 2 episodes of Doom and Doom 2, it makes sense as humans were there before. Once you get to Hell though, you continue to see them in large numbers, still wearing their old military equipment. Sure they're fun to fight and their hitscan attacks make effective threats, but why are they there? Did the demons transport them en masse to Hell to act as their primary combat force or something?

I made a topic on cannon fodder enemies earlier, and it's obvious that there's a lack of variety when the alternative is fighting armies of Imps. That's boring. So people continue to place these completely out-of-place enemies into levels. If it's clear that they're there to serve the demons, that's fine, but these are soldiers fully decked out in military gear and obviously there to only fight the players.

So should the role of weak enemies fall to the Imp, and the Imp only, in maps set in Hell?

Maps are generally pretty abstract, so I don't mind the lack of story cohesion there. But in more atmosphere/story driven levels it would be a fun touch if they replaced the Zombie/Soldier sprite with something that fits their idea better. Maybe a more demonic looking soldier or something, but same gameplay wise. But it's all good.

Don't forget that zombies also act as sources of ammo and/or weapons. Removing them also requires tweaking the pickups.

Neither Doom 3 nor Doom 2016 feature the zombie soldiers in hell levels. Their hell levels do feature boney zombies that are obviously native to hell, though(or at the very least, have been there an extremely long time.)

Doesn't UAC send multiple expeditions into hell before the invasions? Safe to assume not everyone managed to get out alive while the idiots at UAC continued to send people to hell. 

2 minutes ago, Piper Maru said:

When there is no more room left in hell the dead shall walk the earth or mars.

Sure. The Apocalypse shall wreck evrything in its way!!(including you..)

1 hour ago, Pegg said:

Doesn't UAC send multiple expeditions into hell before the invasions? Safe to assume not everyone managed to get out alive while the idiots at UAC continued to send people to hell. 

I hadn't really thought of that before. Good point.

1 hour ago, Caffeine Freak said:

I hadn't really thought of that before. Good point.

That happened? I thought Deimos just disappeared one day, then the portals went apeshit and the demons attacked.

as a level designer I have a tendency to select the most fitting monster that performs the sort of a role I want it to do. So if I make a large courtyard that I want to player to have a big battle in, I'm not going to fill the place with wimpy zombiemen that will all drop in a few seconds when it would be much more fun to get chased by homing revenant missiles.

ive seen all the monsters in all sorts of environments so I'm not particularly bothered when military commandos are in a burning river of fire or if ghastly lost souls are in a UAC bathroom stall.

19 minutes ago, 40oz said:

ive seen all the monsters in all sorts of environments so I'm not particularly bothered when military commandos are in a burning river of fire or if ghastly lost souls are in a UAC bathroom stall.

Someone should make a map in which there are bathrooms, and if you search the bathroom for items you may stumble upon a Hell Knight or something taking a shit.

38 minutes ago, TootsyBowl said:

That happened? I thought Deimos just disappeared one day, then the portals went apeshit and the demons attacked.

I might've mixed up Doom 1's story with the one from Doom 3. in Doom 1 the teleporters between the moons weren't acting normally for a while yet UAC didn't care and continued using them. Deimos disappears when the invasion starts while everyone on Phobos get slaughtered, Doomguy gets sent with his squad from mars to investigate. (The idiots leave the best marine behind to guard their ship while they all get slaughtered haha)

It kinda doesn't make sense off the first 2 Dooms why possessed marines are that deep in hell (Especially in Doom 2's last episode) but seeing as Doom 3 tried to fill out a lot of the gaps in the older plots it might be canon for them as well.

6 hours ago, TootsyBowl said:

Someone should make a map in which there are bathrooms, and if you search the bathroom for items you may stumble upon a Hell Knight or something taking a shit.

BYHAE Map 14

Given the climate of a place like hell, I always figured it would've been more appropriate to see burnt/roasted variants of the former human soldiers. A way to make them for fitting in such a place would be allowing the Archvile, Barons, or something that could resurrect their corpses into Revenants.  

yeah, I wondered about that too in Doom 1/2. Theres none in Doom 3 and the ones in Doom 16 look like half human/demon things. But really, hitscanners are a big part in the Doom enemy lineup, so maybe that's why they are there

Can someone make a cybernetic Imp lineup that have their arms replaced by hitscan weapons? Other than Imp health they behave identical to the zombies.

16 hours ago, TootsyBowl said:

Perhaps related?

18 hours ago, TootsyBowl said:

Relevant