Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pan

Demon Forest - adventure/slaughter map for Doom 2

Hello,

The Story

Your outpost in the forest has been overrun by demons. You do not have enough ammo to subdue the hordes,
so you must enter the labyrinthine forest and look for means of escape. Use the maze to confuse and
out maneuver the demons.

Useful items are hidden amongst the trees, but find them quickly or the demon horde will surround you.
The forest is already littered with your fallen comrades, but the stragglers will assist you as best
they can.

Your objective is to find the yellow key card to the river exit, and follow the river to the main base and
heavy reinforcements. Unfortunately your General has issued an order to stand and fight, forbidding retreat.
He has instructed some of his men to hide the security keys needed to escape through the river exit.

You are not ready to die today, so find the keys and escape to the river before you are eaten alive!

System requirements:

- Doom 2 wad.

- Demon Forest works well on Zdoom, bit laggy on GZ Doom (this is a big map).

- I didn't use any limit removing stuff, this is just a normal vanilla doom 2 map.

- Load  both the wad file and the music wad file in ZDoom at the same time for the custom music
(I don't know how to combine these into 1 wad file yet).

The song name is 'Leading To All The Living Things' by Paneye
from the album Remote Summer Clouds.

Gameplay rules:

- This map was made for No Jumping. Turn your jump configuration off.
- If you beat Demon Forest on UV difficulty, you win my respect. If you finish with 100% items, then i'll worship you.

Hints:

- This map will probably take multiple attempts until you are victorious. You will have to quickly memories the location
of each item and pathway through the maze as the demons close in. Speed in the forest is essential. Once you
memorize the useful locations, Demon Forest is easy....but on your first attempts it may seem impossible!

- This map is very hard to finish with 100% items and kills on UV, and the puzzles are difficult.
But I assure you that if you solve the puzzles you will be rewarded with an interesting moment at the end of the map.
So don't give up and best of luck!

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/byyrp5b682z76f2/Demon+Forest.zip

Screen Shots;

http://imgur.com/a/wya6m

http://imgur.com/a/lK9Et

http://imgur.com/a/dvXRw

Edited by Pan

Thanks! Hope it's not too difficult. By the way there was a small bug (nothing game breaking). I have replace the mediafire link. It should all work perfectly now.

Cheers :) there's actually more than enough ammo to kill all the monsters if you know where it is located. Also, once you unlock the chain gunner room then they can do most of the work to mow down and thin out the hordes for you.

I'm impressed you were able to finish it and find all the keys. I thought I had done a good job hiding them.

Yeah, don't go into the river or you will be trapped! And yes that's my music, glad you dig it.

there will be a final update for this wad. I have learned how to combine the custom music and map into a single pk3 file, for convenience. I have also discovered that Demon Forest looks much better with a Random Decorations and Deaths modification, which I will also combine into the pk3 (still trying to work that out). I have been playing this on Complex Doom which adds an ungodly challenge to the experience (highly recommended). I'll post the final version here shortly.

2 hours ago, Pan said:

there will be a final update for this wad. I have learned how to combine the custom music and map into a single pk3 file, for convenience. I have also discovered that Demon Forest looks much better with a Random Decorations and Deaths modification, which I will also combine into the pk3 (still trying to work that out). I have been playing this on Complex Doom which adds an ungodly challenge to the experience (highly recommended). I'll post the final version here shortly.

If I were you, I wouldn't include custom modifications in wad/pk3 without author's permission and leave this unmodded in case if people want run this with their mods. Or create second version if you still want go with that route. 

On 5.7.2017 at 2:28 PM, Pan said:

- Doom 2 wad.

- Demon Forest works well on Zdoom, bit laggy on GZ Doom (this is a big map).

- I didn't use any limit removing stuff, this is just a normal vanilla doom 2 map.

- Load  both the wad file and the music wad file in ZDoom at the same time for the custom music
(I don't know how to combine these into 1 wad file yet).

The song name is 'Leading To All The Living Things' by Paneye
from the album Remote Summer Clouds.

So we have like an 800kb map, with a 7MB "music-wad". That is already something that some people might be interested in for different reasons. Personally, I feel like mp3s don't go well with maps that aren't highly detailed, or use high resolution textures for that matter. But that's just my taste.

That aside, it is not just a "vanilla doom2 map", because you mapped in hexen format, which means the wad is limited to Zdoom based ports, and can't be run on PrBoom+, which may be interesting/important for some folks around here. By the looks of it, you haven't used any of the hexen-format specific mapping features, meaning that the use of the port limiting mapping format is unnecessary. But as I said, I gave it a brief idclip look, so I might have missed something.

The reason your map lags is because you rampacked large areas with hundreds or even thousands of things like trees etc, instead of limiting thing use to a degree that is reasonable. If it wasn't for the insane amount of trees, your map would consist mostly out of orthogonal, empty rooms. People made dense forests with less than a quarter of the stuff you jammed in there. Lighting is also very much the same throughout the entire map, which is a shame since you can make forests a lot more spooky by making them darker.

Unless the mods you want to add directly affect gameplay from a mechanical perspective, meaning your maps is balanced around specific mods, don't add them to your wad. Let people have a choice is what I'm saying here. Also, don't add a mod to a wad if there's a chance most people already have it as a standalone, because some people, like yours truly, don't like to download the same things several times over.

Thanks for the feedback. The insane amount of trees are necessary for the labyrinth exploration. A thin forest would make it too easy to find your way. I have added a random decorations mod to give the trees more variation (in the original Doom 2 decorations pack, there are only 2 tree variants, which is a bit too bland).

It actually doesn't lag much at all in GZDoom, only when I tried to play it on Brutal Doom.

I don't know why I saved it in hexen format. But it seems I can't resave it in Doom format. Oh well. I guess GZDoom is the best way to play to this map and sorry to the PRBoom users.

Here's the final version, with the mod I recommend for an enhanced experience packaged separately:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/byyrp5b682z76f2/Demon+Forest.zip

Edited by Pan

14 minutes ago, Pan said:

The insane amount of trees are necessary for the labyrinth exploration. A thin forest would make it too easy to find your way.

Not to argue about this too much, but I am very confident that you could cut the quantity of trees in half comfortably, because there is an insane amount of things that the players will never see from any point in the map, while the engine still has to handle all that graphical load. If you used ligthing better, and also worked with terrain instead of things only, you could probably cut 2/3 of what you have currently placed. Not only would that be a lot more player friendly, it would also save you the effort of having to copy+paste sections of things, while it also makes your map look more interesting.

I think you're right. On my next map I'll take onboard your advice.

I have a crappy Asus laptop and this map runs fine on that, so I don't think there'll be many people with graphical load issues.

You're right though, I got carried away with the scale of this map. I wanted to create something big, but perhaps I overdid it a bit.