Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TootsyBowl

Is there any shame in IDDQDing past a part you can't beat?

Say, when you're playing a hard mod in a mapset that suddenly goes slaughtery, or you get stuck in a fight with low health and bad saves. Or the place is chaingunner hell and you get sick of it.

I regret nothing!

I will do this if it took me a long time to get there. I play to have fun, not to get frustrated, especially if a map doesn't have more than one difficulty level.

Well, there's no shame with IDCLIPing your way out of an inescapable area because of horrible map design.

If a part is too difficult i move onto the next map through the console, if it's a single map wad then I use godmode for that difficult segment

When I'm stuck somewhere because of ramped-up difficulty, I save at that point and use IDDQD to figure out how to get past (or clear) that area. Then I go back and start the saved game to continue. In this way, I use the cheat only to figure out a solution, and then try to make progress without cheats.

I'd rather swallow my pride by cheating temporarily, than being frustrated by a situation in a map, and quitting an otherwise-enjoyable.

THERE IS TOTAL SHAME IN IT, GAMES ARE 100% ABOUT THE BRAGGING RIGHTS ABOUT THE THING YOU DID AND/OR BEAT.

j/k you do you, man. It's entertainment. If there's a thing you can do to keep it entertaining (instead of frustrating beyond that) then by all means do it. Some folk like a difficult grind, some like a scenic walk through.

Ultimately you play doom for fun. If you get stuck in an area, cheating though it isn't a big deal, play for fun.

Since everyone is so supporting, here are some cold hard facts for this hot summer:

Yes.

If it is a popular map, then it has been designed and played by many who could go without cheating. So cheating through this does not mean its un-fair, just that you require extra skill to surpass this. Grind and grind. Only way to success.

Any other indie map, its more of a gray area there but one should strive to be the absolutely fucking best, unless it is some bullshit like 100 Archviles surroundinh you while you only have a shotgun. 99 or less, you should start feeling some shame particles.

Cheats were designed by developers, for themselves. If the developer wanted you to cheat, he would say so.

Technically, no. It's your time, it's your entertainment, do what you like.

Personally though, I hate cheating, and I would hold my manhood cheap if I cheated just to pass a tricky spot. Also, if you cheat past a spot, you better not go around saying "I beat reallyhard.wad" ... 'cuz you didn't really beat it, did you now?

The only time I ever cheated was Resurgence. Starting at level 25, there were a few times I had to use IDDQD just to figure out where I needed to go next for health, ammo, and/or progress. But I always picked up on my last save and played "legit" after that. (Except level 30, which I couldn't finish at all. Too many arch-viles!)

EDIT: I did cheat in some randomly chosen map once because there was a bugged door that I had to noclip through. (Skip to ~15:19 in the video.) But that was the author's fault.

Edited by 42PercentHealth : I am more of a cheater than I thought.

there's an area in Stardate 20X7 which warns you a trap is coming

if you don't type IDDQD there I think that actually makes you a bad player

31 minutes ago, Battle_Kirby said:

Since everyone is so supporting, here are some cold hard facts for this hot summer:

> "cold hard facts"

> posts subjective opinions

Real talk: outside of established set-rules environments (e.g. tournaments, online play, competitive websites/demo scenes et al) there are no hard rules on how to play games. Any games.

For example, I do put a lot of care into my maps; especially with regards ammo and health rationing, monster placement, etc. It's a very delicate and purposely-crafted thing that I do. If someone wants to throw that in the garbage and blaze through after IDDQD'ing (and IDKFA'ing) that shit, it's their call. They're not playing the way I wanted them to, but I didn't write the rules on their experience. They did. And continue to do so.

Now, if I were able to disable the cheat codes entirely (which I would do for my own original games) that's a different story... ;)

I don't like cheating anymore outside of testing stuff (god, notarget, noclip, give all, summon [x], changemap) but prior to doing that I used to IDBEHOLDA when I couldn't find a computer map and was OCD about finding all the secrets in PWADs. Nowadays I just live with my decisions, more replay value that way!

tumblr_inline_myc08rRig11r95fgm.png.fa90053ee6fd2b7a305b6e3d1bb8d712.png

NO FUCKING CHEATING!!!!!!!!!!

only I can do it, because im cute when I cheat.....

seriously though, no, cheating is not ok. if a level is just complete and utter bullshit (MAP30 of Scythe). Then idclev past it if you ABSOLUTELY have to. Other than that, no its not ok, you did not complete the level of you cheated. 

Edited by CzechMate29200

Shame? Nah.

But I will say it's pretty lame if you cheat through UV because you can't beat it, instead of just lowering the difficulty to something more manageable. Difficulty settings are there for a reason.

BUUUT I'll also cop to cheating occasionally if there's an unfair trap or difficulty spike, especially in a really long map.

1 hour ago, Battle_Kirby said:

Any other indie map, its more of a gray area there but one should strive to be the absolutely fucking best.

Cheats were designed by developers, for themselves. If the developer wanted you to cheat, he would say so.

You have to be the absolute fucking best because why?

The developer doesn't get to tell you what to do. If you want to play an FPS with cheats, who cares?

The only time I cheated was in the last level of a Hell Revealed WAD (can't remember which one). I spent like 15 minutes trying to beat that IoS that spawned 5 demons at the same time. I was completely stuck, and it was the last level, for fuck's sake, so IDDQD helped me.

I don't regret it. I know it's possible to beat it, but it's still bullshit IMO.

Edited by KVELLER : More info

3 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

I spend like 15 minutes trying to beat that IoS that spawned 5 demons at the same time.

I think that was HR2. There was a secret which allowed you to  telefrag the cyberdemon and gave you easy access to the romero head. If you didn't find that secret, it's darn near impossible...

Has anyone ever beaten that level without using the secret, I wonder?

Just now, 42PercentHealth said:

I think that was HR2. There was a secret which allowed you to  telefrag the cyberdemon and gave you easy access to the romero head. If you didn't find that secret, it's darn near impossible...

That makes it even worse! You shouldn't be forced to find secrets to beat a level.

9 minutes ago, Not Jabba said:

You have to be the absolute fucking best because why?

The developer doesn't get to tell you what to do. If you want to play an FPS with cheats, who cares?

Because honor. Or something. Pride?

You can suck for I care, but like what @42PercentHealth said, you cannot go around telling people you had "beaten" a reallyfuckingtough.wad if you had to cheat. And how do we beat such wads? By being the absolute fucking best you can. So in the end it was logic. Ha!

Developer doesn't get to tell you because he does not choose to. He can tell you, especially in tutorials. When it comes to cheats, it might be a lazy fix by having a developer leave a note to the players, "just punch in godmode here this is too tough and I cannot balance for shit", but mostly that never happens unless you know the developer as a friend and you are playtesting his shit to see if the ending works or not. Thankfully, now developers work their asses of to have player never use the cheats.

Who cares? If you are playing multiplayer, other players care. A lot. Suprisingly lot actually. In singleplayer, as I said, if you are going to brag with a recording, people will see into it had you used cheats or not. Reminds me of this dude who posted play-throughs of Doom 2016 entirely played with cheats somewhere on Facebook. People were really pissed off. Why? Entertainment? Bragging denial? Who knows. Ya'll've gotta ask yourself, how would you react to this?

Just now, Battle_Kirby said:

Who cares? If you are playing multiplayer, other players care. A lot. Suprisingly lot actually. In singleplayer, as I said, if you are going to brag with a recording, people will see into it had you used cheats or not. Reminds me of this dude who posted play-throughs of Doom 2016 entirely played with cheats somewhere on Facebook. People were really pissed off. Why? Entertainment? Bragging denial? Who knows. Ya'll've gotta ask yourself, how would you react to this?

I'd say that the fact that you're going to piss off people by cheating on multiplayer matches or in public videos is common sense, but no one cares if you cheat in a single player game for your own entertaiment (in other words, not exposing it to the public).

if it's single player - no. But instead of using 'IDDQD', a better approach is to use co-op mode or the 'Resurrect' console command or the 'Give Health' Command. That way you can play as if you were playing normally in a way.

It's not shameful if the tips don't touch.

54 minutes ago, Battle_Kirby said:

<snip>

It seems like you are taking the OP's private gaming choices super personally. I'm not sure where you got this idea that people are running rampant through the community and claiming they're great because they beat something with cheats, but I doubt this is really a big thing. Of course you shouldn't cheat in multiplayer -- that's just basic gaming ethics, but aren't cheats A) forbidden and B) disabled in most multiplayer games/servers anyway?

Kirby and 42 remind me of some nightmare speedruns on youtube where it is very clear the game was modded to make Nightmare run the same as UV or the video got cut and merged with one ran on UV after the player selects UV. (Where is the screen melting hahaha)

Some games That are Old school and new school give you Cheats once you beat the game which is a nice way to encourage the player to experiment and play the game in new ways, what i don't like its when a game Throws everything at you expecting you to beat in 1 way , Something similar happens in Turok 2 since all the levels are enormous even from the start.

You can play however you want. But don't use IDDQD in Heretic :P