Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
killerklown

Text Screens in GZDoom Builder (bugfix)

Hi guys!
I'm learning how to mod D2 and I've got stuck on what apparently is a really simple thing to achieve: showing a text screen ( https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Text_screen ). I'd like to show one of those text screen D2 showed when the story needed to be explained. Using print doesnt seems to me a good idea since it looks more like a function for small and fast in-game text totally related to gameplay.
I'm using GZDB bugfix + DOOM2 (UDMF) + ZDOOM ACS.
Can someone help me?

So, I read all your (very useful!) links and I was wondering... basically I can show text screens just between two maps (= when the player find the exit of the level)? What if I just want to make the player read a document like one of those walking simulators? The player finds a book on the floor and I want him to read a page of some dead-man diary. How can I possibly do it?
I think teleporting in and out of a map would respawn all the enemies and that's not cool... Maybe I can put a background image under the HudMessage text? But how?
Any ideas?

HudMessage can indeed show an image. So you could script it so that a page like graphic comes up, text on the book prints out, player presses keys to continue the script, and then close the book. Heck, you could even do what Elder Scrolls does and make many different graphics of a book closing and show each one in sequence with a tiny delay between. Very script heavy, but it would be cool to see in Doom.

3 minutes ago, Nevander said:

HudMessage can indeed show an image. So you could script it so that a page like graphic comes up, text on the book prints out, player presses keys to continue the script, and then close the book. Heck, you could even do what Elder Scrolls does and make many different graphics of a book closing and show each one in sequence with a tiny delay between. Very script heavy, but it would be cool to see in Doom.

That's totally what I had in mind! I want to create lore books and stuff like that that can enhance the user experience and make the player enjoy more the campaign :)