Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GoneAway

Misc heretic & hexen demos

This thread is for demos to be uploaded to the new dsda prototype, but that are not hosted on the current dsda. Distinction no longer necessary :^)

This thread is for miscellaneous heretic and hexen pwad demos.

Put vanilla heretic runs fit for heretic-n into the heretic thread!

Heretic Amplified

E7M1 SM Speed in 1:39

ZDoom v2.8.1

h7a1-139.zip

Edited by kraflab

Game: Heretic
Pwad: Arena https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/heretic/a-c/arena
Map : E3M8 'Arena of D'Sparil'
Vanilla demo format:
SM Max - 3:38
BP Max - 4:12
Tyson - 8:13
Tyson - 11:43

For this map remains only pacifist, but I doubt that it is normally possible on this map vs D'Sparil, or there will be a very long demo that is not interesting to watch. Slow tyson maybe not for database, maybe only for someone's interest.

Arena_PVS.zip

Hexen 1.1, Map01, Mage, vanilla demo format:
No monsters - 0:52
Pacifist - 1:07
Speed (skill-4) - 1:00
Speed (skill-5) - 1:03
Max (skill-4) - 3:11
Max (skill-5) - 3:24

For file names I use the classification from Heretic-N, well suited for Hexen too. kraflab, how do you think?
But Hexen have 3 players classes, each class has its own skills names, for this reason I'm not sure how to name speed and Max categories for the database? For NoMo and Pacifist fits good, but other categories - need to think... If try to name it the same way, then for Mage: skill-4 'Warlock' and skill-5 'ArchiMage', then the names can be: WL speed/Max and AM speed/Max :)

It's not very important of course, but it's good to come up with a classification for Hexen too. Respawn/Nightmare category will be empty, I think, because of Hexen specificity. As well as Max - a very conventional category is obtained, because Hexen is constantly respawn monsters during the game.

Hexen01Mage.zip

I'm not sure exactly what the best file name strategy is, but I agree that using the heretic-n ones are fine.  On the site, my plan was to file everything under the same general category (Skill 4 Speed for instance) and just include the chosen class in the note underneath.  Otherwise there would be a ton of categories and it would be harder to judge things, but I'm open to alternative ideas.

Sorry I haven't gone through these and uploaded, I've been lazy / busy lately with work.  I have a huge pack of demos for hexen that opulent gave me that I need to go through as well.

I agree that for Hexen 'Skill 4 Speed + Class' will be better than 'WL speed' etc., otherwise it will be really a lot of obscure categories. Hexen is not very suitable for recording speed demos for single maps, from the original iwad's there are literally several maps suitable for this, but for hub's movies, PWAD's speedruns, etc. - the situation is much better. In any case, Hexen demos will be rare, even compared with Heretic.

In 2014 Opulent recorded demo-pack for Hexen, I've been watching these demos on Hexen+ since then - he did an excellent and difficult job, also very rare! Some time ago, Opulent also sent me more complete archive with Hexen demos, I looked at their, this collection motivated me and now I have one more hobby project :) I looked all Hexen demos from this collection and in general I represent the situation, if you need any help about these demos - maybe I can help, now I have some information.

i recently did this in hexen. is this new? i've never seen anyone do it but it seems like it would save a huge amount of time. most people i've seen play the hub up until raising the staircase, and then would do the classic "jump from the stairs" sequence break to hit the two switches on the side platforms. this, on the other hand, lets you exit the hub immediately (although it's probably a good idea to head over to guardian of ice to get timon's axe first)

EDIT: i accidentally recorded with longtics, so chocolate hexen was required to play the demo. i'll re-record in a demo that should play in vanilla hexen

EDIT 2: here it is

7pskip.zip

Edited by veovisRC

Heh, how did you find this place? I'm wondering - what is this, a map or game engine error? Some time ago I was able to watch a coop demo by JCD & Ch0wW, where they do many similar tricks and go through the whole 5 game hubs in 16 minutes. I understand, find such places on maps and use them - probably interesting and fun, but I do not know - what are you guys doing? Why so mock our game? :)

You record this demo on Chocolate Hexen 2.3.0? If this is important information for you - Chocolate Hexen is not fully compatible with the original game, sometimes you can record a demo which can only be played on Chocolate Hexen. It is better to use Hexen-Plus for movies and lengthy records.

Another, seven years old example, where Andrey Budko passes the third hub in 2 minutes. Oh, poor Hexen ...

hub3_AndreyBudko_147.zip

where can i download hexen-plus? so far, all of the single-level demos i've recorded on chocolate hexen have been compatible with the original game, but i haven't been able to test multi-level demos. i actually wasn't aware such a thing existed.

EDIT: actually, i probably should have just googled it instead of asking. i've downloaded hexen-plus and verified that my full game berserker demo (12:34) syncs all the way through, so i'll post it here. i wasn't sure which naming convention to use since heretic-N doesnt have an equivalent full game demo, so i borrowed the doom 2 d2all naming convention (40bs instead of 30uv). if you have a better naming convention i'll be happy to change it though.

40bs1234.zip

Edited by veovisRC

hey, i had a question. i noticed for hexen on the new dsda you have skill 4/5 speed and skill 4/5 max. my question is, what qualifies as "max" for hexen? there are a ton of respawning enemies in the game, so does it only count enemies that don't respawn? is there any manageable way to track that or do you have to watch every demo intently to make sure it's *actually* max?

Edited by veovisRC

Thanks KD!

As far as hexen max, I thought I read a post about it from Opulent, but I can't seem to find it - or maybe it was in a text file.  Someone else might have an answer.  I don't really know much about hexen running myself.

well, in any case, here's a full game fighter skill 4 run in 9:51. recorded in chocolate hexen 2.3.0, plays back in hexen-plus. probably taking a short break from this game to improve my heretic demos.

40bs-951.zip