Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GoneAway

Misc heretic & hexen demos

If w1f2p122 always playback well for you, but for me not - means there is something that we do not know about ZDoom :)

w1f2p120 playback fine for me too. It would be great to see more longer demos, for example NoMo100S or even better - Max'es, this maps is good, but from speed demos they are almost invisible, heh

Thanks for the Heretic demos, kraflab. I like wings-pacifist and max's.

If in the future you will record demos for vanilla compatible pwad's - I'm personally would be glad to see demos in the vanilla format, for this, for example, can be used Chocolate Heretic with -demoextend parameter or vvHeretic4.

Dec. 20 1994 was released 3-level Heretic Beta version. I congratulate everyone who has not forgotten and still plays this game. 25 Years of Heretic!

I would also be glad to see that, but I haven't had much luck working with chocolate in the past. I can try getting it working again and see if anything comes of it. I would really love a prboom+ for heretic... 😅

Six seconds - this demo can be watched only in slow mo :)
What problem do you have with Chocolate port? Maybe I can help.

Heretic Amplified
E7M3 SM Speed in 0:51

E7M3 Pacifist in 1:59

ZDoom v2.8.1

PVS: the port itself runs, but the mouse control feels a bit wrong for me, like there's a small delay. I could probably get used to that, but since I use prboom+ for doom I don't really want to be switching back and forth between the different controls. I'm hoping to get a new laptop next year so maybe new hardware will fix the problem.

h7a3-051.zip

h7a3p159.zip

Edited by kraflab : Forgot the attachments...

If you use Windows Choco version - for tests, you can try turning off 'mouse acceleration' in the general OS mouse settings, in Windows control panel. This may help if the mouse problem happens for Choco. For me, some mouse problems also happens on some PCs and OS, but for the old 2.3.0 version. I hope, that more newer 3.x versions on SDL2 do not have this problem, but I can’t check it myself.

Shadows of Chronos

MAP01 Skill 4 Fighter Speed in 2:31

Should be vanilla compatible but I used Chocolate-Hexen specifically.

This is my favorite Hexen map set and I couldn't find any demos of it, so I decided to make one of my own. I eventually want to make a full hub run but I kinda suck and it's actually a pretty hard hub, so I'll start with some MAP01 stuff.

I timed this using my phone's stop watch unfortunately. Is there a tool to generate a time from a demo? Hexen doesn't have intermission screen times.

kf01-0231.zip

Your correct time is 2:30.60. What Chocolate-Hexen version did you use for recording?

You can use old command line tool (in attachment) for timing vanilla Hexen demos, see example in a bat-file. There is still a primitive method - Hexen shows time on the auto map, while demoplayback you can switch to map and see time, but on original engine it works poorly - you need press Tab-Tab-Esc for open the map normally while playing the demo, heh

Yes, this Kaiser hub is very good, I like it too. Hexen is not very suitable for recording demos for separate maps, but I don’t remember already - this hub maps is suitable for this task or not? A couple of years ago, Opulent tried to record vanilla demo for this hub, something close to max, you can read about it here:
http://opulentdemos.us/fpsdemos/viewtopic.php?p=74#p74

Messages about this hub are scattered on that topic, there are Opulent test demos, also we still looking there - how to open a secret map in the normal way, Kaiser hid it well. Maybe you will be interested to read this info.

LmpFid14.zip

Edited by PVS

The only maps you could feasibly do separate maps for are MAP01 and MAP04, but there might not be enough firepower for MAP04 to be interesting. The hub itself is very interconnected so it's not possible to do very much on a single map trip.

I used Chocolate Hexen 3.0.0 linux build. When I get access to a Windows pc I'll try that program.

Edit: Also I can't get the demos on that site, how would I get them?

Edited by duvel

I did not think about Linux, then, you can get the correct demo time yourself, manually. Use -timedemo command instead -playdemo, after timedemo process you will get the result, where you need to get demo gametics quantity (not realtics), your demo have 5270 gametics, further divide 5270/35 = 150,57 - this is demo time in seconds, i.e. 2:30.57

On the Opulent forum need register for download attachments, well, I'll send you his Kaiser28 test demos in PM.

Shadows of Chronos

MAP01 Skill 4 Speed Fighter in 1:59

Chocolate Hexen 3.0.0 used

I went back and shaved 30 seconds off easily. Thanks again PVS for giving me a good timing method. It might be a bit but I'm gonna try and do a full game demo now.

kf01-0159.zip

Good run! I like it. I think, record a full hub demo will be hard, good luck!
(p.s. both of your demos playback normally on vanilla Hexen 1.1)

Try to keep you company, recorded a Cleric speed demo on 2:35. Also I tried record Mage demo, but found a bug: somewhere after buttons puzzle - stop working all teleports on the map, it is impossible finish map if play in Mage class. On ZDoom everything works, on the any vanilla engines - not.

k01c-235.zip

Edited by PVS

What a bizarre bug! I only ran into it while recording as mage. I also had a similar bug where the lever to activate the pillar puzzle wouldn't show itself even after killing all the monsters in the area. I wonder what causes it?

I'm running into a different strange bug while trying to record my full hub playthrough. I will get through the first level fine with -demoextend on and then on the second level I am immediately killed by an unknown damage source. This seems to be a Chocolate Hexen 3.0.0 specific bug as I tried it with Hexen-Plus and it seemed to be fine, so I may be switching to that, which has its own share of problems as I can't figure out how to get full turning radius in dosbox on my setup while in fullscreen. It's especially strange because when I play the demo I record back it just shows me standing there unharmed at the level start.

I do not quite understand what problem you have under DOS - low mouse sensitivity or what?

Chocolate Hexen: I know this problem when recording multi-level demos, you can solve this manually, but the solution is very funny - always keep empty Choco save folder! For example, before recording multi-level demo - delete all save files from 'hexndata' folder, start recording. Before next attempt - delete the save files again, then start record demo2, etc. I wrote about this problem several years ago, here:
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/1907392

Also, maybe you don’t know - the original Heretic/Hexen have another problem - turning left is little slower than turning right, this is only happens when recording demos. For fix this in Choco you need add -shortticfix command when recording demos.

Finally it happened! :)
Vanilla Heretic 1.3 like your demos and playback them normally. Crispy Heretic is good, I tested it less than Chocolate, but I don’t remember compatibility issues. I more wonder how you found the correct demo time, without an intermission screen? heh

Edit:
I forgot, it can be done as -timedemo in vanilla exe or -timedemo without -demoextend on Crispy, yes.

Edited by PVS

You get the intermission screen in crispy (chocolate too?) with -demoextend. For the exact time I used -timedemo to count the frames.