Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GoneAway

Misc heretic & hexen demos

Hexen: Cleric Hub-1 skill-4 movies:
speed in 15:09
max in 45:37
vanilla format

Cleric much faster than Mage, also, I was able to catch all extra monsters in max, i.e. this is 'absolute' max, heh.

se1c1509.zip

me1c4537.zip

Hexen: Fighter Hub-1 skill-4 movies:
speed in 12:36
max in 39:58
vanilla format

After recording Fighter and Cleric demos - I saw that Mage runs looks very weak, decided to try again, it turned out much faster:
speed in 17:47
max in 49:23

kraflab, take these last Mages demos in base instead of the previous ones, if you agree that in Hexen max'es possible not kill all respawn/extra monsters.

se1f1236.zip

me1f3958.zip

se1m1747.zip

me1m4923.zip

@PVS I'd still upload everything unless you are against it. It's always nice to see the progression :^)

We're slowly catching up with all the demos, a bit over a month behind at the moment.

FYI: heretic doesn't fit as well into the current automation flow for dsda (because we don't have an equivalent prboom+ with levelstat), so there's a small delay on keeping this thread up to date - should be updated soon though :^)

In fact, DSDA now the only one database for Heretic/Hexen demos, even if you update the state less often, 2 times in year - it will still be good for these games. 'because we don't have an equivalent prboom+ with levelstat' - I can't quite understand what do you mean, in details?

Also, just as a suggestion for DSDA - maybe better make a regular "incoming" folder on site, where people would upload demos themselves? It will be easier and faster admin this "incoming" folder, than manually collecting all demos from forum topics.

You found another one good map, even sadly, that it is very small. I even wanted to record more longer demo where the whole map could be seen, heh

Heretic: Candy choppers by Paul Corfiatis:
SM max in 2:17
vanilla format

Pch1m217.zip

We run demos through prboom+ and it prints out a file levelstat.txt, which contains all kinds of info that gets imported into dsda: stats like kills, items, secrets for verifying max submissions, the time, the map, which exit was taken, etc. That all happens without any manual interaction (though there are other things that do require manual attention). There isn't an equivalent tool for heretic right now though. Some of these things are possible with more scripting but the "levelstat" concept doesn't exist for crispy heretic afaik.

As far as folks uploading their own demos, it wouldn't help us unless we develop a hands-off verification system for the demos (which we are, slowly over time). Inevitably certain things need to be checked and done by hand, like uploading new wads. We have a script that scrapes doomworld and downloads all the posts with attached demos already, so collecting everything into one place for processing is actually not a concern currently.

And thanks for the max :^)

Understandably, if you collect demos from forum automatically - then "incoming" folder is not necessary, of course.

Level statistics in Heretic. At the moment for chocolate I have this: then you playback or timedemo in Stdout.txt statistics logged in this form:

Spoiler

DEMO PLAYBACK: start [PCH1M217.lmp]
Info: Exit from map E2M1 <> Level time: 02:17.71
> Level statistics <> Kills: 38/38 Items: 8/8 Secrets: 4/4
DEMO PLAYBACK: finish [PCH1M217.lmp]

If this is what will help you and need - it can be easily done for any port, your crispy for example, it's not difficult at all, I can help with that (if need).

That's great to know! We haven't looked too far into it, so it's mostly a matter of adapting our current scripts to make use of that output as well.

Possible change the text output in a way that is more convenient for your script parser, this is not a problem, I have never really seen PrBoom+ output with this information. Check your PM.

`-levelstat` is now merged into crispy heretic, producing the same output as prboom+. Thanks to PVS for the implementation I adapted!

I can help only for demos in vanilla format, for such you can look these 2 links, this is from the 3rd page of this topic. If you have any questions about vanilla demos - ask, only I don't know anything about ZDoom, GZDoom demorecording.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/94942-misc-heretic-hexen-demos/?do=findComment&comment=2082991

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/94942-misc-heretic-hexen-demos/?do=findComment&comment=2083581

On 2/16/2020 at 12:48 PM, PVS said:

switch to map and see time

The time is shown on the automap.

Thanks @PVS

Also, Happy birthday, Heretic <3!

Edited by kokrean

Not sure if this is the place, but I don't know where else to stick a Heretic demo atm.

Player:          Eric Claus
Sourceport:       DSDA-Doom 0.18.0
IWAD:             Heretic
PWAD:             UnBeliever
Author:           Ryath/scwiba
Map:              E2M1: "Down the Privy"
Category:         SM Max
Time:          1:42.66 (1:42)

une2m1m-142.zip

Description:  I felt it was time to branch out a bit, and with DSDA Doom having reached a point of doing Heretic demos some time ago I wanted to try out Heretic.  I saw dwars play a WAD called UnBeliever and it seemed to have a scythe like vibe to it, so I went ahead and dove into Episode 2.  E2M1 is short and sweet and not a hard map in terms of practice to get a good route, but I was often hitting the 2 minute wall.  I decided to dig deep and play the rng game to get that first Disciple to give up his tome, and when he did I was able to smash my time down to 1:42.  I am no fool and I know it can go lower, but I might be hitting my wall as it took some work to get to this point.  That said I didn't find movement quite as important in the initial breakthroughs so much as decent RNG and some efficient killing at least for this SM Max.  UnBeliever is cool, and I feel good for my first Heretic demo!

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/heretic/s-u/unbeliev

Edited by Eric Claus

Sure, this is the right place for Heretic pwad's/misc/etc demos, also for all Hexen demos, but it is better - if also give a link to pwad, so that it is easier to find it. I remember - I looked at these maps before and I didn't really like them, sometimes maps very short and nothing interesting happens, sometimes they just teach how to play the game, use artifacts, etc.

'layer: Eric Claus' - hm?...

On 5/1/2021 at 1:49 PM, PVS said:

Sure, this is the right place for Heretic pwad's/misc/etc demos, also for all Hexen demos, but it is better - if also give a link to pwad, so that it is easier to find it. I remember - I looked at these maps before and I didn't really like them, sometimes maps very short and nothing interesting happens, sometimes they just teach how to play the game, use artifacts, etc.

'layer: Eric Claus' - hm?...

Yeah meant to throw in the link but spaced out. And the lack of P in player is just my bad copy paste job lol.  Edited my post for a link and stuff.  I could see where these would be less interesting for some, but I tend to like more compact maps with quick action at least when doing runs sometimes.  I plan on branching out a bit too as I get more used to Heretic's differences of course and it's definitely refreshing to play something a bit different.

More vanilla Heretic/HeXen demos are always good! heh
But in my opinion, if demos recorded for pwad's - we can talk about this maps, a little, at the same time.

43 minutes ago, PVS said:

More vanilla Heretic/HeXen demos are always good! heh
But in my opinion, if demos recorded for pwad's - we can talk about this maps, a little, at the same time.

Fair enough I don't have any issues with opinion on anything.  I usually try to include commentary on the maps themselves, and I went with UnBeliever because it seemed like a sort of "Scythe" for Heretic for lack of any better comparison.  I am open to any recommendations as I am not as familiar with heretic wads really, especially more vanilla ones which I am more interested in.

I read your comments in demo txt, of course, I just gave my little opinion about UnBeliever maps.

Vanilla Heretic maps - this is easily, for example, here is a small initial list, by author's:
Ken Phipps '98 - '00: Dark Mountain, Dark Mountain II, Desert Crypt, The Forgotten Portals, Shadowy Forest, Burial Ground

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames//index.php?search=1&field=author&word=Ken+Phipps&sort=time&order=asc&page=1

Jeff Weisend: GULAG '97 (E1M1-E1M5)

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/heretic/g-i/gulag

Jeff Lillie: The Master's Domain '97 (episode)

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/heretic/m-o/mdomain1

Stephen Clark: Shadowcaster '02 (episode)

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/heretic/s-u/shadow

ETTiNGRiNDER '12 - '18: Coven, Valley of Saints, Mountain King's Domain, Tyrant

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames//index.php?search=1&field=author&word=ETTiNGRiNDER&sort=time&order=asc&page=1

Also, you can watch this still unfinished episode, several authors: ENDQUEST

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/119871-endquest-episode-for-heretic-beta-v2-now-available

In the third post you can find ENDQSTv.7z, finished vanilla + limit removing version of this maps, archive also contains my vanilla demos for this episode, maxes, although these are not speedruns, but not slow either. There are big and not easy maps, some demos are an hour long, heh

Some maps in this list required limit removing, but I'm sure this won't be a problem for your port.

Player:          Eric Claus
Sourceport:       DSDA-Doom 0.18.0
IWAD:             Heretic
PWAD:             UnBeliever
Author:           Ryath/scwiba
Map:              E2M2: "Watery Grave"
Category:         SM Max
Time:          2:02.71 (2:02)

une2m2m-202.zip

Description:  Off to E2M2 on the small maps episode.  This one was a bit less fun then the previous since it has that moving water mechanic in some...fun places.  That said I managed to overcome it and find the movement is getting easier to pick up on.  Like the previous map this definitely has a "resource puzzle" feel to it, and when I figured out a good pattern of weapons to use it was easier. The tricky part of getting the time I did was hoping that the disciples didn't fly up into some annoying spot, and that the tome you get was timed to make the most of it to shred as many enemies as possible, that also came with figuring out which enemies to kill when.  The map aesthetic if basic is quite nice to my eyes, but I like water textures which Heretic has some nice ones.  The secrets of these maps always seem to be easy to find in the normal flow of the map, so if you know where they are they are easy to grab without having to run far or work out some weird route.  Straightforward, easy to max, good practice for Heretic running is how I would rate these maps.