Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TootsyBowl

Help with Slade-Editing MetaDoom

So earlier I asked Kinsie for a monsters-only version of his mod. His response: "DIY". Okay. So I open up Slade and...

slade.PNG.5a73b4b4109ccc61bbdfd774478804f4.PNG

...fuck. Where do I start?

Edit: oops

Edited by TootsyBowl

Thread title implies that you want to remove monsters and keep everything else, but the post implies the opposite, that you want to keep monsters and remove everything else - so which do you want?

2 hours ago, scifista42 said:

Thread title implies that you want to remove monsters and keep everything else, but the post implies the opposite, that you want to keep monsters and remove everything else - so which do you want?

Keeping the monsters so that they will be compatible with most if not all weapon mods. Changed the title.

Edited by TootsyBowl

It's better to start from scratch.
====
Since I'm not interested in MetaDoom nor do I have the knowledge of MetaDoom's inner workings, I'll point out some basics. Of course I could check the GutHub repo on the fly, but fuck it. Not interested.

1. Find the lump called "decorate" and look inside it. It's a txt file. You should find a lot of lines like this:

#include "actors/weapons/gun.txt"

So you go into the directory /actor/weapons/ and look inside gun.txt. This file has all the necessary code.

2. Inside the lump called "decorate", locate all the monster related #includes eg

#include "actors/monsters/D4imp.txt"

and keep them in mind.

3. Check that each monster definition file (the txt files mentioned in "decorate") don't have something related to other stuff eg dummy inventory items related to weapons.

4. Prepare your eyeballs for some comprehensive ZDoomWiki reading.

5. Experiment again and again until you get your flow.

==
It's still better to work from scratch. It's not easy (at all) to modify a (big) mod that has been worked on for a long time. The mod maker knows the mod inside out, while you have to deal with all of it, at the same time. It's overwhelming, as you've implied in the original post.

Dumb question alert: What is MetaDoom? It's a gameplay mod, right? (At first, I thought it was a new source port)

1 hour ago, kb1 said:

Dumb question alert: What is MetaDoom? It's a gameplay mod, right? (At first, I thought it was a new source port)

Gameplay mod by Kinsie that aims to take gameplay elements from all the Dooms and put them together in a cohesive mass. Tons of new monsters from all over the Doom series. Also non-hitscan zombies. I want to separate those from the rest of the mod so that you can run any weapon mod with it.