Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

A few terrible, modern Wolfenstein 3D clones

I don't doubt you can do neat things with it. There was an early 90s Wolf clone called H.U.R.L. which had you scrubbing dirty animals with soap suds. I remember that despite the orthogonal blocks, the devs were able to imply an outdoor area with parked buses. It was neat. But I think overall it's just a bit too limiting. Take Blake Stone, for instance. That's a potentially great game with a lot of atmosphere that gets weighed down by engine limitations. After a few levels it's difficult to find the motivation to see it through.

3 hours ago, GoatLord said:

I absolutely cannot fathom wanting to make a Wolf-style game at this point.

If you're a one-person gamedev outfit looking to not spend entire years on your assets, cutting out floor/ceiling/sky textures and streamlining the mapping process into a mere grid is a very appealing one, I gotta say. As, you know, a one-person gamedev outfit. ;)

On 11/11/2017 at 8:47 PM, Lokust Sun said:

this one may be a breath of fresh air I hope:

http://www.facebook.com/projectwarlock

Agreed. It looks like a breath of fresh air to the point I wouldn't consider it a Wolf clone even if its a maze shooter. The effort of the style and the art set it apart.

3 hours ago, GoatLord said:

I absolutely cannot fathom wanting to make a Wolf-style game at this point. It's just too limiting and all of your maps are going to look identical. Just more proof of how polished and relevant Doom is when it comes to psuedo-3D shooters!

As a first project you can do by yourself, it's perfect. Doing a Doom-size game would be a huge undertaking; hell just doing a 32 map wad for Doom is already a lot for one person.

8 hours ago, scifista42 said:

^ I remember @Woolie Wool made some great posts about the good points of Wolf mapping, I couldn't find them at the moment, though.

http://tankermottind.tumblr.com/post/149946753775/woolies-wolfenstein-level-design-tips-1

In which I explain how to account for the AI when placing your guards for better gameplay.

9 hours ago, GoatLord said:

It's just too limiting and all of your maps are going to look identical.

Demonstrably false.

tumblr_or9hjvE4H21ua9qwwo1_1280.png

tumblr_or9hjvE4H21ua9qwwo2_1280.png

tumblr_or9hjvE4H21ua9qwwo3_1280.png

Those look great, but  they rely on textured floors and ceilings, which are features wolf lacks

1 hour ago, GoatLord said:

That enemy in the second screenshot is definitely taken from another game, but I can't tell which one.

It looks a bit like a recolor of the Nazi foot soldier from Wolf3D (the brown-uniformed one). It's hard to tell from a pixelated corpse sprite though.

1 minute ago, Megalyth said:

It looks a bit like a recolor of the Nazi foot soldier from Wolf3D (the brown-uniformed one). It's hard to tell from a pixelated corpse sprite though.

Sorry, I meant the third screenshot, but I think you're right about the Wold3D thing.

Just now, GoatLord said:

Sorry, I meant the third screenshot, but I think you're right about the Wold3D thing.

That's the chaos serpent from Hexen.

Its a ecwolf mod for god sake.

7 hours ago, Lokust Sun said:

That game appears to have stolen from all the games back then

It's a EcWolf mod.

The screenshots are from Operation Serpent, which as far as I gathered from the readme is a proof-of-concept project to show the modding capabilities of ECWolf. It claims to require the registered version of Wolf3D but runs just fine either with the shareware episode or on its own altogether (using the -iwad parameter).

All the graphical and sound assets used in the game are documented with their sources and credits in the readme file. More info in the release announcement thread at ZDoom forums.

Oh, and I totally liked the sorta tongue-in-cheek premise of the game, it breaks/subverts a few established tropes of the genre :) There's one thing though which made me wonder, it seems that the girl's HUD face (which comes from some old Female Marine Doom mod) might have not been actually intended to be used with aspect ratio correction - you can compare the stretched and unstretched versions because ECWolf doesn't correct the aspect ratio in the main menu, including the difficulty selection screen (which shows various expressions of the HUD face for different settings, similar to Wolf3D).

Maybe I'm biased because of I played it a lot as a kid but, as far as Wolf 3D clones go, I'm rather fond of Nitemare 3D. I actually thought the cliche horror monsters added to its charm and at least it wasn't just trying to be a straight clone of Wolfenstein 3D since it added some mild puzzle elements like destructible walls, movable blocks, and combination safes. The attempt to fake a blackout on the 7th level was also pretty amusing.

hqdefault.jpg

On 11/18/2017 at 4:04 AM, MrFlibble said:

The screenshots are from Operation Serpent, which as far as I gathered from the readme is a proof-of-concept project to show the modding capabilities of ECWolf. It claims to require the registered version of Wolf3D but runs just fine either with the shareware episode or on its own altogether (using the -iwad parameter).

Nope, it was meant as a precursor to a later 30-level version of Operation Serpent, but it is a self-contained adventure that takes about 5-12 hours to complete depending on how good you are at navigating huge maps.

E: Also I should stress that using Operation Serpent as an iwad is completely untested! The mod was designed to be used with a legitimate registered or retail copy of Wolf3D and all testing was done that way.

Edited by Woolie Wool

On 2017-11-20 at 3:08 AM, MetroidJunkie said:

Maybe I'm biased because of I played it a lot as a kid but, as far as Wolf 3D clones go, I'm rather fond of Nitemare 3D. I actually thought the cliche horror monsters added to its charm and at least it wasn't just trying to be a straight clone of Wolfenstein 3D since it added some mild puzzle elements like destructible walls, movable blocks, and combination safes. The attempt to fake a blackout on the 7th level was also pretty amusing.

hqdefault.jpg

oh man, that one level though. i distinctly remember it as the only level in the game where you can make the level entirely unwinnable by moving a block into the wrong spot, blocking the path to progression with no way of circumventing it. if you could restart the level from scratch, it wouldn't be a problem, but the only way to save progress is manually, and younger me didn't save properly then, so had to replay the entire game over again. ugh.

there's also the fact that the game gets a massive difficulty spike as early as the second level in, with witches and skeletons having hitscan attacks that can wipe you out easily. what makes it worse is that you don't get a better weapon until the level after it, which is a pain because the witches in particular don't die right away, and their attacks can deal as much as 50% of your health at point-blank range. guess what the game liked to put in front of ladders? that's not even counting the massive amount of skeletons in the graveyard, which you have to deal with flimsy projectiles that gets weaker the longer distance it travels.

i also never coud beat the shareware, because the final level was incredibly cryptic to figure out. i wanted to revisit the full game at some point, but i heard it didn't get much better in the other episodes, so... fun shareware version and all, and it does get a bit better with subsequent levels, mostly because you get better weapons from the 3rd level in, but it had some things that griped me. the music was pretty good, though.

On 20.11.2017 at 5:08 AM, MetroidJunkie said:

Maybe I'm biased because of I played it a lot as a kid but, as far as Wolf 3D clones go, I'm rather fond of Nitemare 3D. I actually thought the cliche horror monsters added to its charm and at least it wasn't just trying to be a straight clone of Wolfenstein 3D since it added some mild puzzle elements like destructible walls, movable blocks, and combination safes.

I liked the game although admittedly I only played a bit, for some reason it feels very nostalgic for me although I did not know about it back when it was new. Personally I prefer the pre-v2.0 releases which have hand-drawn monsters, the new pre-rendered sprites only brought art style inconsistencies and they aren't really better aesthetically.

On 27.11.2017 at 6:07 AM, MrD!zone said:

Every game that was made using the pie in the sky game engine is terrible. No matter what.

I know what you're talking about, but I found Chemical Warfare quite well designed and pretty challenging. It's absolutely different from all those stock 3DGCS games floating around, give it a try.

Castle Werewolf 3D
Merger 3D
German Fortress 3D
Mad Sector
Skyfall
Western FPS

made with RGM. It's very popular game constructor in Russia. My RGM free game Duke Nukem 2.5

Edited by Ezepov

I'm shocked that people are even selling Raycasting Game Maker games anywhere, let alone on steam. It oughta be illegal. And these graphics artists should be getting work on projects that are worth a shit.

Basically all the games mentioned (especially in the post above) are all the exact same game with different graphics and level layouts. That's all RGM is: a template with almost no customizability. It's a garbage engine that isn't even really an engine.

There are Wolf3D clones made with Unity and Game Maker that these don't even hold a candle to.

On 11/19/2017 at 7:08 PM, MetroidJunkie said:

hqdefault.jpg

I dug the shareware episode of this and liked it for the same reasons. Problems started with the registered version adding two very bland and uninteresting filler episodes on top of the first. They blew their wad on the haunted house episode.

Here's one I'm so fond of, I created the only fan site dedicated to it: Killing Time.

sm%20kt046.png

sm%20kt012.png

sm%20kt032.png

What really sells this game is the story, design, and atmosphere; and what sells that is the attention to detail. Everything is there for a reason. The ammo pickups are all over the island because Duncan ran out of storage space. The storeroom is on fire because the thugs moving Duncan's arsenal had a smoke break next to a volatile container (implied by a ghost scene and the skeletal nicotine addicts). You need an RSVP to enter the mansion because everyone died during a party. All the monsters have their origins in the mansion as guests, pests, or Egyptian treasures. Even the dates and implied events in the manual suggest a vast history that gives the Conway Estate and its inhabitants an incredible amount of depth and personality: more than the average shooter ever had. It's a shame Killing Time never really had its time in the spotlight.

Edited by Impie

Something about that makes me think of a poor mans Outlaws despite the fact that is not set in a Old Western time.

8 hours ago, Impie said:

I'm shocked that people are even selling Raycasting Game Maker games anywhere, let alone on steam. It oughta be illegal. And these graphics artists should be getting work on projects that are worth a shit.

Basically all the games mentioned (especially in the post above) are all the exact same game with different graphics and level layouts. That's all RGM is: a template with almost no customizability. It's a garbage engine that isn't even really an engine.

There are Wolf3D clones made with Unity and Game Maker that these don't even hold a candle to.

I dug the shareware episode of this and liked it for the same reasons. Problems started with the registered version adding two very bland and uninteresting filler episodes on top of the first. They blew their wad on the haunted house episode.

Here's one I'm so fond of, I created the only fan site dedicated to it: Killing Time.

sm%20kt046.png

sm%20kt012.png

sm%20kt032.png

What really sells this game is the story, design, and atmosphere; and what sells that is the attention to detail. Everything is there for a reason. The ammo pickups are all over the island because Duncan ran out of storage space. The storeroom is on fire because the thugs moving Duncan's arsenal had a smoke break next to a volatile container (implied by a ghost scene and the skeletal nicotine addicts). You need an RSVP to enter the mansion because everyone died during a party. All the monsters have their origins in the mansion as guests, pests, or Egyptian treasures. Even the dates and implied events in the manual suggest a vast history that gives the Conway Estate and its inhabitants an incredible amount of depth and personality: more than the average shooter ever had. It's a shame Killing Time never really had its time in the spotlight.

I had a friend who had the pc version of Killing Time. It was a completely different game from the 3do version.

5 hours ago, MrD!zone said:

I had a friend who had the pc version of Killing Time. It was a completely different game from the 3do version.

Yeah, which is actually playable on modern machines now through steam and zoom. It featured maps that better resembled real locations, but were still cramped, repetitive, and suffered poor monster placement. I still prefer the 3DO version.

5 hours ago, Woolie Wool said:

Oh hey, is that Bad '80s Greenscreen Music Video Simulator?

I think that was actually a series of games on the 3DO, come to think of it.

22 hours ago, Impie said:

Yeah, which is actually playable on modern machines now through steam and zoom. It featured maps that better resembled real locations, but were still cramped, repetitive, and suffered poor monster placement. I still prefer the 3DO version.

I think that was actually a series of games on the 3DO, come to think of it.

Hey I have a question for you. I completely forgot about Killing Time, I saw ads for it when I was a kid, but it was on 3DO, which I didn't have. I read your Zoom review, and looked at their site, and it looks like the graphics are from the 3DO version, the PC version had pretty crap sprites and the weapons don't look as good. Did they use the original 3DO graphics for it? And did they use the 3DO levels or the PC ones?

I'm just kind of curious, if it's the 3DO graphics and PC levels I'll probably get it. Hell, I'll probably get it anyway, I've wanted to play that game since I was a wee lad.

Edit: Eh, I just rewatched the video and realized the weapons are the PC sprites. Not sure why I thought they were the original ones. But still, the enemies look better in the video on Zoom.

Edited by Jello

Nitemare 3D was completely awesome. I love the puzzles in it and played it even not as a kid, as a 14 yo

I remember finding this on a shareware CD, 1001 in 1 games or something. There was a readme screen talking about buying the registered version and I remember wondering why the hell I would want to. There was also a hidden nudie poster in one of the levels, which was exciting to 10 year old me.