A few terrible, modern Wolfenstein 3D clones

I don't doubt you can do neat things with it. There was an early 90s Wolf clone called H.U.R.L. which had you scrubbing dirty animals with soap suds. I remember that despite the orthogonal blocks, the devs were able to imply an outdoor area with parked buses. It was neat. But I think overall it's just a bit too limiting. Take Blake Stone, for instance. That's a potentially great game with a lot of atmosphere that gets weighed down by engine limitations. After a few levels it's difficult to find the motivation to see it through.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, GoatLord said:

I absolutely cannot fathom wanting to make a Wolf-style game at this point.

If you're a one-person gamedev outfit looking to not spend entire years on your assets, cutting out floor/ceiling/sky textures and streamlining the mapping process into a mere grid is a very appealing one, I gotta say. As, you know, a one-person gamedev outfit. ;)

1 person likes this

On 11/11/2017 at 8:47 PM, Lokust Sun said:

this one may be a breath of fresh air I hope:

http://www.facebook.com/projectwarlock

Agreed. It looks like a breath of fresh air to the point I wouldn't consider it a Wolf clone even if its a maze shooter. The effort of the style and the art set it apart.

3 hours ago, GoatLord said:

I absolutely cannot fathom wanting to make a Wolf-style game at this point. It's just too limiting and all of your maps are going to look identical. Just more proof of how polished and relevant Doom is when it comes to psuedo-3D shooters!

As a first project you can do by yourself, it's perfect. Doing a Doom-size game would be a huge undertaking; hell just doing a 32 map wad for Doom is already a lot for one person.

That game appears to have stolen from all the games back then

That enemy in the second screenshot is definitely taken from another game, but I can't tell which one.

Those look great, but  they rely on textured floors and ceilings, which are features wolf lacks

1 hour ago, GoatLord said:

That enemy in the second screenshot is definitely taken from another game, but I can't tell which one.

It looks a bit like a recolor of the Nazi foot soldier from Wolf3D (the brown-uniformed one). It's hard to tell from a pixelated corpse sprite though.

1 minute ago, Megalyth said:

It looks a bit like a recolor of the Nazi foot soldier from Wolf3D (the brown-uniformed one). It's hard to tell from a pixelated corpse sprite though.

Sorry, I meant the third screenshot, but I think you're right about the Wold3D thing.

Just now, GoatLord said:

Sorry, I meant the third screenshot, but I think you're right about the Wold3D thing.

That's the chaos serpent from Hexen.

Its a ecwolf mod for god sake.

7 hours ago, Lokust Sun said:

That game appears to have stolen from all the games back then

It's a EcWolf mod.

2 people like this

Oh shit I'm sorry I thought it was one of the games from steam :o

The screenshots are from Operation Serpent, which as far as I gathered from the readme is a proof-of-concept project to show the modding capabilities of ECWolf. It claims to require the registered version of Wolf3D but runs just fine either with the shareware episode or on its own altogether (using the -iwad parameter).

All the graphical and sound assets used in the game are documented with their sources and credits in the readme file. More info in the release announcement thread at ZDoom forums.

Oh, and I totally liked the sorta tongue-in-cheek premise of the game, it breaks/subverts a few established tropes of the genre :) There's one thing though which made me wonder, it seems that the girl's HUD face (which comes from some old Female Marine Doom mod) might have not been actually intended to be used with aspect ratio correction - you can compare the stretched and unstretched versions because ECWolf doesn't correct the aspect ratio in the main menu, including the difficulty selection screen (which shows various expressions of the HUD face for different settings, similar to Wolf3D).

Edited by MrFlibble
1 person likes this

Maybe I'm biased because of I played it a lot as a kid but, as far as Wolf 3D clones go, I'm rather fond of Nitemare 3D. I actually thought the cliche horror monsters added to its charm and at least it wasn't just trying to be a straight clone of Wolfenstein 3D since it added some mild puzzle elements like destructible walls, movable blocks, and combination safes. The attempt to fake a blackout on the 7th level was also pretty amusing.

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by MetroidJunkie