Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AdirBlaz

ProjectBrutality or BrutalDoom?

I find that PB goes way too much away from regular doom, it's bloated. BD feels like a general upgrade to the game but gets old eventually.

I haven't played either of them for ages. I think I enjoyed BDv19 the most. The recoil on the SSG and RL in v20 felt really jarring. I liked the imps climbing along ceiling and revenants with jet packs in PB, but I thought it used too many random monster variants to still feel like doom.

The only mod that is actually fun and yet different is D4T.

And if I feel like doing something mildly spicy, I load up Parkour.

I really liked PB due to the more satisfying and varied weapons as well as different enemy types that show up. It's like BD + Complex Doom without the silly stuff like BFG Zombies to one-shot you. I'm looking forward to both BD v21 and PB 3.0 when they come out. Although my go-to gameplay mod has been D4T 2.0 recently.

I used to play these mods, but now I'm just tired of them, so I play plain vanilla mostly. Also, I found PB zombie taunts distracting and annoying after few maps, it would be better without them. 

I haven't played PB but I did give BD a try recently with the Hell on Earth starter pack wad.  At first it was cheeky, over the top, and kind of fun.  I stopped playing at around map 14-15, the novelty wore off and the slow gameplay of a tactical, military shooter started to become evident.

I never played Project Brutality, but I have played Brutal Doom.  Typically, I'd say "no" to both options, but If someone were to force me to play one of the mods at gunpoint, I'd go with Project Brutality.  This is only because of the fact that I already know what to expect with Brutal Doom.  Although, I have a feeling that I'll become more dissatisfied with Project Brutality the further I get into it because of how it already seems too overbloated with content from the gameplay footage that I've seen.  In fact, just glancing at all of the content makes Project Brutality almost feel as if it's an entirely new game meant to appeal to that one demographic of COD kids that want to pretend that they play "classic" games (when in reality, they play versions that are extremely modded to the point where it feels nothing like vanilla Doom).

17 minutes ago, (this user does not exist) said:

If someone were to force me to play one of the mods at gunpoint, I'd go with Project Brutality.

Someone comes up and say, "do you want to be the guy who rips and tears, or do you want to be the guy who got ripped and torn?" XD

Things Brutal Doom did better:

-Consistency, no wondering if the sergeant trap ahead will unleash submachine gunners or automatic shotgunners

-Less lag

-Destructible corpses

-Weapons like the single shotgun and the minigun feeling and sounding better

-More classic-style chainsaw

-Feels more like an evolution of classic Doom

-Arsenal is as versatile as it needs to be, avoiding PB's problem of having to press the same key several times to get the weapon you want

Things it did wrong (most of these also extend to PB):

-Voice that seems more gravelly and hammy than it needs to be

-Can get boring with the lower variety

-Reloading the single shotgun is a pain. At least when it fires it feels magnificent

-BFG sucks (at least that's getting fixed in v21)

Things that Project Brutality did better:

-More variety, keeps you from getting bored

-Monsters have interesting abilities

-You keep seeing new stuff up until the end of the megawad you're playing

-More executions, more player abilities, more monster deaths

-A goddamn shrink ray! Always fun

-The Carbine. That thing is godlike.

Things that PB did wrong:

-Some enemies can be BS, such as being surrounded by cyberknights that spam you with rockets

-Arsenal can be a pain to navigate

-Sometimes feels like too much-was the machete attack really necessary?

-Need to bind crapton of keys

-No destructible corpses

If you want to play Project Brutality, I recommend Project Brutality Mutators, which you can find on ModDB. Aside from a few hiccups like an error with the Imp randomization system, it does a great job of refining PB and adds even more weapons and elements to gameplay, such as an Unmaker than you assemble piece by piece throughout the campaign. It's also best to read the manual which comes with the original PB download. I personally have ditched PB for plain ol' Brutal Doom with Tomtefar's Extension. This mod adds a few weapons to make it a little more interesting without being annoying, and gives the Barons and Hell Knights green blood. Why Sgt Mark IV ditched the green blood in the first place is beyond me.

12 hours ago, Argent Agent said:

I think Complex DooM is better than both of them; it's even better than vanilla.

Complex DooM is really good, sadly I forget about it a lot.

1 hour ago, Synndra said:

Heard something about it not working with the latest GzDoom. Is that true?

1 minute ago, TootsyBowl said:

Heard something about it not working with the latest GzDoom. Is that true?

Ran okay for me in GZDOOM 3.1.0 however i did get a few errors in the console however. All still functioned fine though.

1 hour ago, Synndra said:

Ran okay for me in GZDOOM 3.1.0 however i did get a few errors in the console however. All still functioned fine though.

Sometimes it can crash at any moment. That's why it's better played on Zandronum...

Now that I look at it, yeah PB is pretty stuffed to the brim with content. Too much content. I guess I just don't notice stuff when I get into a game, I just sit and enjoy it.

3 minutes ago, AdirBlaz said:

Now that I look at it, yeah PB is pretty stuffed to the brim with content. Too much content. I guess I just don't notice stuff when I get into a game, I just sit and enjoy it.

In BD v21 Mark's bringing back the old Skulltag weapons as well as a pistol (using mostly vanilla sprites, surprisingly), a submachine gun, an AA12, and an axe. Enough content to be interesting but not enough to be overwhelming like PB sometimes is. Anyways, a few more gripes I have with PB:

-The Cyber Bruiser, a variant of the Hell Knight, has a hitscan attack while it spawns in places where there not guaranteed to be cover

-Many weapons use different ammo types, resulting in, say, a shortage of rockets because you keep finding grenades. And the two grenade launchers use different types of ammo!

-Sometimes it goes overboard with the alt-fires. Does the Super Grenade Launcher need six different fire modes?

-Much of the stuff eventually goes unused-I never really used the Sentry Guns, and in Mutators where they give you portable stimpacks I was always carrying 30+ of them around

-Vast majority of the variants are zombies, while all imps just become dark imps in the later levels

Granted you can turn a lot of the stuff off, but complaining is fun.

20 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

Like in YT channels...

I'm pretty sure Youtube channels use everything to gain free exposure.

Edited by geo

29 minutes ago, geo said:

I'm pretty sure Youtube channels use everything to gain free exposure.

Pretty sure? 200% sure that they'll do it no matter the cost :D

4 hours ago, TootsyBowl said:

-Much of the stuff eventually goes unused-I never really used the Sentry Guns, and in Mutators where they give you portable stimpacks I was always carrying 30+ of them around

Sounds like he's just borrowing features from Complex Doom :V

23 hours ago, Synndra said:

Well, I played Complex Doom. I found it underwhelming.

Also it's kind of stupid that every goddamn zombie has an auto shotgun, a plasma gun, a railgun, or a super shotgun.

4 hours ago, TootsyBowl said:

Well, I played Complex Doom. I found it underwhelming.

Also it's kind of stupid that every goddamn zombie has an auto shotgun, a plasma gun, a railgun, or a super shotgun.

Try playing with the LCA addon next time...you'll have some fun or frustration :P

On 7/12/2017 at 10:15 AM, AdirBlaz said:

aren't there options that let you turn off certain stuff?