Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AdirBlaz

ProjectBrutality or BrutalDoom?

12 minutes ago, TootsyBowl said:

Don't they hate Brutal Doom even more than you guys?

Me personally, I don't see there being any reason to dedicate an entire "subforum" to a gameplay mod "just because" (And I personally do not care the slightest how popular some people think Brutal Doom is).

The fact of the matter is that there are many other TCs which people have spent a lot of time and effort on as well. That being said, I am personally against the idea of catering to one particular mod, while all the others would be getting left behind as a result. Treating them equally is best.

If, for some reason, you think that Brutal Doom needs more outlets than it already has, you're free to fire up a facebook fanpage, or whatever else you can think of, because, you know, somebody's gotta moderate that place and stuff, so why not do it yourself?

Well we've got a Discord server. I guess it works.

Let's stop talking about this before someone gets mad.

I made a BD dedicated wad and I always bring it up.

But seriously I do want more people to map for it. BD seems to attract more of the Doom "casuals" than the dedicated fans and I believe minimal wads designed specifically for BD as a result. And even if some say they are just for BD, it often doesn't utilize any of its features or mechanics.

4 hours ago, Chezza said:

But seriously I do want more people to map for it. BD seems to attract more of the Doom "casuals" than the dedicated fans and I believe minimal wads designed specifically for BD as a result. And even if some say they are just for BD, it often doesn't utilize any of its features or mechanics.

Just wondering, what would a Brutal Doom specific WAD be like? Would it just like a regular GzDoom wad with slopes and 3D floors and stuff? Using Brutal Doom's damage types? Using custom enemies with the gore system? More long-range combat? The custom monsters included in the Brutal Doom pk3?

Is there a link to your WAD, too? You got me interested.

1 hour ago, TootsyBowl said:

Just wondering, what would a Brutal Doom specific WAD be like? Would it just like a regular GzDoom wad with slopes and 3D floors and stuff? Using Brutal Doom's damage types? Using custom enemies with the gore system? More long-range combat? The custom monsters included in the Brutal Doom pk3?

Is there a link to your WAD, too? You got me interested.

Close actually. I do think more long range encounters should be used in BD wads. Also the ammo available should be adjusted for the deadly grenades, headshots and kicks the player can do. Hitscan enemies need to be in lesser numbers. It should utilize GZDoom features and script in some BD unique scenarios such as monster reactions and attacks. You will see a variety of these examples in my wad. Overall there is a change in balance within BD and maps need to be designed around it.

Here is a link to my wad - it's not perfect but it is my first ever wad and I put a stupid amount of effort in it.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/addons/operation-uac#comments

22 hours ago, Chezza said:

Well, there is a PB mapset in the works. It's looking really good and I may make a post on it.

Speaking of, I vastly prefer Project Brutality. Brutal Doom is nice too but the quality overall of the mod is mixed. Project Brutality fixes the problems Brutal Doom has and then some.

On 7/22/2017 at 3:07 PM, TootsyBowl said:

Let's stop talking about this before someone gets mad.

Isn't that kinda sad?

I do have a legit question regarding Project Brutality:

Is there anything in the Options menu that turns off those gosh-awful zombie/possessed voices? While I'm certainly not against using Brutal Doom or Project Brutality for a mapset that recommends its use, the zombie/possessed voices in Project Brutality are fucking awful to me, both in how unnecessarily loud they are and in how bad the vocals are. I'd probably give Project Brutality a try if I could turn those voices off.

As it stands though, I'd rather just stick with Brutal Doom or, better yet, Johnny Doom.

Edited by Nems : Forgot to mention Johnny Doom lol

1 hour ago, Nems said:

Is there anything in the Options menu that turns off those gosh-awful zombie/possessed voices? While I'm certainly not against using Brutal Doom or Project Brutality for a mapset that recommends its use, the zombie/possessed voices in Project Brutality are fucking awful to me, both in how unnecessarily loud they are and in how bad the vocals are. I'd probably give Project Brutality a try if I could turn those voices off.

As it stands though, I'd rather just stick with Brutal Doom or, better yet, Johnny Doom.

I'm afraid you'll need a separate file for that. It should be in the Project Brutality zip folder.

First, look up the zombiemen DECORATE info.
Note down the sounds used, then the delete the action that plays the sound (should be A_PlaySound).

Then open SNDINFO and find the line that defines that sound.
Delete the line.

Now you can choose to either delete the sound files entirely or be lazy and keep it there anyway.

Project Brutality by far. Everything in it is just so much more satisfying than BD imo.

PB was pretty fun for awhile. I like D4D, Guncaster, MetaDOOM, Hearts of Demons Baron, and several other mods way better.

On 7/23/2017 at 6:28 PM, Nems said:

The sound in BD and PB is mixed horribly and some of the FX are just crap. The taunts are obnoxious.

6 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

None.

Hey nice relevant contribution.

On a side note, If I had to choose which dragon ball series I would watch, it would be none.

1 hour ago, Chezza said:

Hey nice relevant contribution.

On a side note, If I had to choose which dragon ball series I would watch, it would be none.

Sorry m8, just my honest opinion as well as yours.

6 hours ago, Ajora said:

This thread is genital herpes in digital form. 

And like every BD thread, it keeps getting revived

I play bits and pieces of v20b here; it feels like it's closest to vanilla to me. v21 offers weird stuff like the font, way too many new weapons, and worst of all zombie infights make those nice squadrons in the Starter Pack fall apart immediately.

Personally I prefer vanilla Doom with a patch replacing either the pistol or chaingun with an assault rifle. I like how Doom keeps the weaker weapons conventional and the stronger ones sci-fi, so the chaingun being a light anti-humanoid automatic would better befit an AR in my opinion.

I only played Brutal Doom v20b. Honestly, that's about as far as I'm going to get on the Brutal series, and the best version of Brutal Doom before it started to go in a edgier, more stupider direction. I didn't like Project Brutality, since it's stuffed in it's own bloated features. 

I have fun with Brutal Doom, and I still do, but the original is still the better one. 

3 hours ago, DMPhobos said:

And like every BD thread, it keeps getting revived

You can blame that person who didn't look at the date above my last post in this thread.

2 hours ago, Starkiller said:

I only played Brutal Doom v20b. Honestly, that's about as far as I'm going to get on the Brutal series, and the best version of Brutal Doom before it started to go in a edgier, more stupider direction. I didn't like Project Brutality, since it's stuffed in it's own bloated features. 

I have fun with Brutal Doom, and I still do, but the original is still the better one. 

I'd recommend using this fork to the unofficial '20c' version. Fixes all the 20b bugs, since a fair few people disliked v21, myself included, due to the feature creep.

Occasionally its good to bring out Brutal Doom. Maligned as it is here, it did bring alot of people back into the community. Myself included; I'd forgotten about doom ports for a good while after finding Doomsday rather meh, way way back, even though Doom was a big part of my childhood.