Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phobus

Major Arlene's Doom WAD Reviews

4 hours ago, Major Arlene said:

Slaughtermaps- nah. They are a ginormous waste of time to review, not to mention boring.

DATE ME!!!!!!!!

@Major Arlene I think that if you bind, "Special Autosave" to a key and make saves after encounters that you'd be more like 90% of other Doom streamers. (Edit: This is not really a huge investment of time. It may be a little more time consuming to do at first, but in the long run it's really going to help you walk through most people's maps.) Using resurrect doesn't build skill. It's essentially IDDQD with extra steps. i was thinking that, at least with saves, it pushes you to bring your A-game and it won't cheapen your victory. The ultimate way to destroy a level is to do UV Max of it. There are people here, @rdwpa is the first person to come to mind that can absolutely smash anything you throw at them. I learned a lot by watching other good players play. I think doing this would would improve your baseline skill level a lot. For me to do a UV Max run it takes hours some times. It's a lot of work. That's why I understand youtubers/streamers who use saves. If you're trying to give a first impression of a map in a review type format, it probably isn't going to cater to your audience by spending all that time learning the level. That's why saves are OK by me.

You have some really great moments in your streams. I particularly think it's great to see your expression when a rocket flies past your head. ...and some of the things your say catch me off guard in an unexpected and funny way. Having watched probably 200+ DWR videos, I feel like I've gotten to know a little bit about your personality which is really cool.

I think your biggest weakness right now is probably the Arkvile. Without being mean, it's the biggest predictor of when you'll be using the resurrect command.

I'd watch this:

If you haven't already.

Again, thank you for all your reviews, and the time and dedication you put in to doing it.

5 hours ago, Major Arlene said:

Slaughtermaps- nah. They are a ginormous waste of time to review, not to mention boring.

You are the first person here who gets me. Thank you!

7 hours ago, Major Arlene said:

MARRY ME.  I don't care if I'm already married, MARRY ME!

*ahem*

Bahaha :D I thought I'd get ripped a new one for saying that about slaughter maps. Good to know I'm not the only one ^-^

2 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

Bahaha :D I thought I'd get ripped a new one for saying that about slaughter maps. Good to know I'm not the only one ^-^

Eh, I kinda like slaughtermaps, but I understand that they are an acquired taste thing...

33 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

Im a bit in between. I have no interest in maps that literally throw hundreds of monsters at you where the only goal is to kill them all and then exit. But maps that have a lot of monsters in between an actual interesting level to progress through, explore and enjoy is something I am more than happy to do. Alien Vendettas mid levels fall into this catergory. One level throws like, thirty cacodemons at you and four cyberdemons, but its done in such a way where its not the main point of the level, once you clear them out you continue on. But I definitely agree with the majority of your statements in your posts.

Theres NOTHING wrong with cheating, Major Arlene! I started playing doom when I was seven years old, and back then I literally only played with cheating. it was only once I was like sixteen that I started playing legit. Cheating for me gives me time to actually explore the level, and while yes I cant check the flow, ammo constraints and such with cheats, it lets me take a good look at the map design.

Welcome to Doomworld, marine.

@Major Arlene, do what I do on blind map playthroughs, which is like 90% of my 1200+ uploads. Use quicksave frequently as this is what I do and I turn off the prompt if I want to overwrite is to it doesn't impede gameplay. If I get stuck looking for something, I halt recording, quickly look in the map in Doom Builder to see what's wrong then I redo the level again so I'm not aimlessly wandering on where the objective is.

If you want to sharpen up your skills on occasion, try playing some OBLIGE maps off-camera. You can get it (7.50) at http://oblige.sourceforge.net and the 7.55 test package can be found on the forum. I wholly recommend my modified set for maximum immersion and variation. Not only do I recommend the program in general but I have been a significant contributor since 2009.

PS: I am Doom Video Vault BTW.

Edited by Glaice

Just now, Glaice said:

Welcome to Doomworld, marine.

@Major Arlene, do what I do on blind map playthroughs, which is like 90% of my 1200+ uploads. Use quicksave frequently as this is what I do and I turn off the prompt if I want to overwrite is to it doesn't impede gameplay. If I get stuck looking for something, I halt recording, quickly look in the map in Doom Builder to see what's wrong then I redo the level again so I'm not aimlessly wandering on where the objective.

If you want to sharpen up your skills on occasion, try playing some OBLIGE maps off-camera. You can get it (7.50) at http://oblige.sourceforge.net and the 7.55 test package can be found on the forum. I wholly recommend my modified set for maximum immersion and variation. Not only do I recommend the program in general but I have been a significant contributor since 2009.

PS: I am Doom Video Vault BTW.

I got several of your comments, I know who you are. Thanks for the advice.

Most slaughter stuff is beyond my skill level, but quite a few modern slaughter maps are so beautiful that I have to at least check them out. I'll give it the college try, but I know I'm going to get stomped, so I usually end up with god mode on.

2 hours ago, Major Arlene said:

I got several of your comments, I know who you are. Thanks for the advice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_burn_centers_in_the_United_States

Practicing off-camera with randomly generated content sounds like a great way to get tired and worn out. Why skip the fun and wonder you're currently having just to reach the grizzled, disinterested, overly critical veteran status faster, eh.

Glad to see you on DW after all this time - You played a few of my wads a year or so ago, I always love seeing how others approach the stuff I make!

Even though the point has been made a few times, I have to echo those saying "keep resurrecting" rather than going back as it really does make it easier to watch. Keep up the good work!

So much talk about difficulty ... I created a little mod that helps you out when you are stuck in a switch-hunt or trapped by Revenants. Just use the fist and beam up to the next level! Doom has infinite custom levels, you will never run out!

EZGameEZLife.zip

I think the argument on saves vs. resurrection comes down to whether the viewer is there to see a player use skill to beat a map, or whether they're there to see what the map is like.

If the player is recording to show off how to beat a map, saves all the way.

If they're there just to give a demonstration of the map, resurrections work nicely.  

@Bauul yep! I'm mostly just about demonstrating a map. I am by no means a completionist or an expert on how to beat a game. I purposely have not made it a point to find secrets because I want my viewers to keep exploring a map beyond what I have. If I just showed them the entire thing, I think they'd be less compelled to play it. 

I happen to really like Major Arlene, and I think she has potential to become a bigger Doom YouTuber. She's not perfect, and heck I'm not perfect either, but I like the way she makes her videos.

Brutal Doom is what got me kickstarted 6 and a half years ago, now I've moved on from that I just use my RDND mod mostly and occasionally showcase other mods.

On 18.7.2017 at 2:25 PM, Major Arlene said:

2. Slaughtermaps- nah. They are a ginormous waste of time to review, not to mention boring.

Whaaaaaaat..? :-(

Try "Newgothic movement 2" map 10 for instance, it is anything but boring, and with some practice you can clear it comfortably in less than 6m:00s. Also some 50shades maps are slaughtermaps...

Why people always gotta hate slaughtermaps?? :-(

Just now, Nine Inch Heels said:

Because some people just have different preferences when it comes to gameplay?

@Nine Inch Heels it is a personal preference, I mean, if it's good, I'll give it a spin for shits and giggles. But generally they just feel boring. My favorite kind of maps are those that have some small puzzles and well placed enemies. I really have to feel a certain way to play them. But I'm open to suggestions, so I may try to play that one :)

1 minute ago, Major Arlene said:

My favorite kind of maps are those that have some small puzzles and well placed enemies.

In this case, also try Newgothic movement 2 map02. It has a teleporter "puzzle". ;-)

Be warned though, Newgothic2 only has UV as a skill setting, so if you want to make things easier, play ITYTD to decrease the damage you take.

I mean, I get that some people may find slaughtermaps tedious, at the same time most of these people never give this sub-genre an actual chance after having played one or two maps for a few minutes.

9 minutes ago, YukiRaven said:

Because some people just have different preferences when it comes to gameplay?

There's a slight difference between preference and prejudice. And most people are prejudiced when it comes to slaughtermaps above anything else. Funnily enough, I can play pretty much everything just fine and enjoy myself while doing so, which is why the hate towards a staple genre of doom mapping is in no way shape or form understandable for me at all.

I was playing Dark Tartarus a few days ago (which is borderline slaughter-type) with a mod and I'm having a blast...and that depends exclusively of the player which megawad wants to play.

Also, hi @Major Arlene. I think I saw some videos of yours.

Edited by leodoom85

3 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Whaaaaaaat..? :-(

Try "Newgothic movement 2" map 10 for instance, it is anything but boring, and with some practice you can clear it comfortably in less than 6m:00s. Also some 50shades maps are slaughtermaps...

I like puzzling out slaughtermaps but I think that the people who suggest Hell Revealed etc whenever someone asks for reccs after finishing Doom II are insane