Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UglyStru

What keeps people hooked on Overwatch?

22 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

What keeps people hooked on POE (eventhough none of the following can be applied to it)?

I mean, I played the hell out of POE when I was speedrunning it... But...

It just isn't fun running shaped strand-maps all day long to level to 100 like the rest of the racers using an OP-meta-build, and kiss the league goodbye when done.

See what I did there? ;-)

Come on, why do you always have to derail these threads? I enjoy PoE because of the endless builds, complex and fluctuating in-game economy, the ridiculous algorithms to calculate DPS, and of course the dark-fantasy atmosphere. 

Please don't get on my ass again for the "just go ES-CI-GR-VP-ZO and run shaped strand" shit. I never did that. I always ran weird builds like Blight Spell Totem or Siege Ballista shit to see how much of the Atlas I could complete :p and yeah, that kinda takes time when you aren't power leveling in Dried Lake or Shaped Strand. Next thing you know, I've got 1000 hours in. I'm also an achievement whore and have all but 3 achievements completed (no way am I beating merciless malachai on hardcore mode, i'll wait for that achievement to go bye bye). 

1 minute ago, stru said:

Come on, why do you always have to derail these threads?

I'm not derailing anything. The fact of the matter is that some people play Overwatch "for nothing", others play POE "for nothing", somebody else plays Doom "for nothing" and that's about all there is to it.

12 hours ago, Arctangent said:

That's either a helluva lot of spite, or a dismissal of a helluva lot of people as sub-human degenerates, neither of which is a particularly nice path to go down.

I mean... @nxGangGirl kinda hit the nail right on the head with that post... It's a more pessimistic approach but he's kinda right ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

9 hours ago, stru said:

This game isn't a perfect 10 / 10 for me? Fuck everyone who worked on it and plays it, then! It should be wiped from existence - I know there's no true problem with the game for something that extreme, but nobody should be able to have fun with something I don't have fun with!

21 hours ago, Arctangent said:

this sure is a healthy and not at all completely sociopathic reaction to something you don't enjoy

On 7/16/2017 at 2:20 AM, Arctangent said:

stru said:

Wrongfully quoting someone is the worst thing you can do on a forum. 

It's not exactly "wrongful" when it's exactly what you saying, just without the pretense of trying to look less dickish than you're actually being.

POE has achievements beside killing Malachai and doing random shit like summoning a skeleton army or hoarding useless yet pretty items?

13 minutes ago, Pegg said:

POE has achievements beside killing Malachai and doing random shit like summoning a skeleton army or hoarding useless yet pretty items?

Steam achievements, yes. Quite a handful of them as a matter of fact. I'm an achievement whore. I will not stop until I see 100%. This is also why I spent days fishing in Terraria for the damn angler. 

4 hours ago, Pegg said:

Most of POE's achievements are pretty retarded though. Like: Find a unique on normal twilight strand. Have fun creating new characters all the time to "grind" for that, if you didn't get that achievement during a race or so. Some dude on my friends list in POE had 2.000 hours in and still didn't get that achievement, I'm about 3.000 in just by way of speedrunning and racing alone, and got uniques there like 10 times by now or so.

Also, beat Merciless Malachai on a hardcore character. All you need to do is grind Dried Lake until you hate yourself and then stomp him.

None of POE's achievements revolve around anything skill based, it's only "grind" or "get lucky" or in a few rare cases "play with a retarded passive tree" if you want things like the "overcharged" achievement which states you need to have 15 charges of whatever total.

aight I play the game because it's a quick timesink to play a couple games with friends if there's nothing else to do. It's not really a bad game, but I respect people who don't like it for whatever reason they choose to not like it for. I think that it's a game that anyone can get into, and that could be considered a good thing or a bad thing depending on where you stand on "casualization". Other than that, I played the game when it was in its beta, enjoyed it, and got it and I've been playing since. If anyone currently has the game and doesn't find much enjoyment out of it, I'd recommend grabbing a friend or two to play along with you. Makes the experience a whole lot better, alleviates some of the "you against some random people you don't know" problem. 

But yeah, if you're playing on your own in Overwatch, it really isn't the best game. But with some friends, you have the ultimate time-waster when you're bored of Doom or... whatever else you're playing. 

On 7/17/2017 at 4:17 PM, Nine Inch Heels said:

Most of POE's achievements are pretty retarded though. Like: Find a unique on normal twilight strand. Have fun creating new characters all the time to "grind" for that, if you didn't get that achievement during a race or so. Some dude on my friends list in POE had 2.000 hours in and still didn't get that achievement, I'm about 3.000 in just by way of speedrunning and racing alone, and got uniques there like 10 times by now or so.

Also, beat Merciless Malachai on a hardcore character. All you need to do is grind Dried Lake until you hate yourself and then stomp him.

None of POE's achievements revolve around anything skill based, it's only "grind" or "get lucky" or in a few rare cases "play with a retarded passive tree" if you want things like the "overcharged" achievement which states you need to have 15 charges of whatever total.

I like the in-game challenges for temp leagues better than the Steam achievements. Problem is they vary every 3 months and they can't do that for Steam achievements. They are reworking Steam achievements for 3.0 but I'm sure the retarded ones are still gonna be there.

6 hours ago, stru said:

I like the in-game challenges for temp leagues better than the Steam achievements.

I never understood the mentality behind RNG being considered a challenge. I never will. Most of the "challenges" in temp leagues were relatively likely to automatically get completed. If people didn't at least get their 25/40 "challenges" automatically, they were newbies without a clue. Then there is shit like in breach league, where some people were unable to complete challenges revolving around certain spawns or item drops, which have nothing to do with skill at all. The simple reality is that people hamster-wheel the everliving shit out of their maps, in hopes of getting lucky.

Since you can't manipulate RNG by way of skill: RNG based achievements =/= challenge.

Nobody with at least a moderate degree of sanity, would consider rolling a six sided dice in hopes of landing a 6 over and over to be challenging. In POE some dices have a couple hundredthousand sides, and the only actual challenge is not to get depressive after having done the same thing thousands and thousands of times without any result at all.

On 7/20/2017 at 7:36 PM, Nine Inch Heels said:

I never understood the mentality behind RNG being considered a challenge. I never will. Most of the "challenges" in temp leagues were relatively likely to automatically get completed. If people didn't at least get their 25/40 "challenges" automatically, they were newbies without a clue. Then there is shit like in breach league, where some people were unable to complete challenges revolving around certain spawns or item drops, which have nothing to do with skill at all. The simple reality is that people hamster-wheel the everliving shit out of their maps, in hopes of getting lucky.

Since you can't manipulate RNG by way of skill: RNG based achievements =/= challenge.

Nobody with at least a moderate degree of sanity, would consider rolling a six sided dice in hopes of landing a 6 over and over to be challenging. In POE some dices have a couple hundredthousand sides, and the only actual challenge is not to get depressive after having done the same thing thousands and thousands of times without any result at all.

Thing is, most RNG heavy games still aren't literally just rolling a dice several times. You've still got plenty of space to adapt to RNG and there are a lot of games where you can just flat-out route to minimize RNG. Plus, if you're rolling RNG thousands of times throughout a run, you'd have to have truly shitty luck for it to not even out by the end, and your opponents that start off with strong RNG are just as likely to get hit with a poor roll right where it hurts later on.

I mean, Doom is actually very heavily RNG with its pretty unpredictable enemies ( which can heavily influence how they "spawn" from teleport traps ) and wide damage ranges, so ... :v

19 minutes ago, Arctangent said:

Thing is, most RNG heavy games still aren't literally just rolling a dice several times. You've still got plenty of space to adapt to RNG and there are a lot of games where you can just flat-out route to minimize RNG. Plus, if you're rolling RNG thousands of times throughout a run, you'd have to have truly shitty luck for it to not even out by the end, and your opponents that start off with strong RNG are just as likely to get hit with a poor roll right where it hurts later on.

Thing is, you don't need to tell me anything about how the RNG, in some cases, is simply utterly fucked (especially in path of exile because I've successfully been spreedrunning that game for about 2 1/2 years, meaning racing for the first level 100 character in a league and usually placing well) and totally not in favour of the player, even if a dice has been rolled for millions of times.

In case of some "challenges" in POE, players had to get lucky to get a certain spawn when opening up a new map, which you don't do millions of times during a league, because maps can take a couple minutes to clear. That random spawn dropped items which you needed 100 of IIRC, to be able to complete a particular challenge in the first place. However, one spawn did not drop 100 shards, getting 20 was something you could consider good. If you were fortunate enough to accumulate that many shards by way of item drops (highly unlikely for most people by default because it requires simply too much time) you were then able to start the actual challenge, which still could go wrong due to time constraints, if the player in question was unlucky wrt to where mobs spawned, since part of the challenge was a clearspeed-race in which a timer could simply run out if the player didn't kill enough randomly placed things.

Nothing here involves any actual skill, it is 100% pure RNG. What makes it different to doom? In doom skill makes a difference, in POE it's either luck, no-lifing with impunity, or ripping players off by way of "trading" one way or another. So while there are methods to either go faster in the game, or making profitable "deals", the actual RNG dependency is still there, because shit has to drop before it can be traded for. If not your own RNG, it's someone else's, simple as that.