Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NinjaLiquidator

Harvest - on /idgames

- 7 maps

- play on skill 1, everything else is a suicide

- supposed to be played as a pack, not separate maps (no pistol starts)

- consider plain surviving as a WIN, nobody has yet suceeded to uv-max

This is just beta, I can do fixes when you mention something. Tested on Zdoom 2.6.1.

I NEED TESTERS FOR PrBoom 2.5.1.4. IF YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEM WITH MAP SOLUTIONS, PM ME - THEY ALL ARE POSSIBLE

Screenz:

speedmap_doom.thumb.PNG.c6f2d34a3887e0fdcaebd7435cb8ce1c.PNG

Screenshot_Doom_20170422_153749.png.a520c85c2958de9662b67cc7ca185b51.png

Version 1 (dont play this):

https://ulozto.net/!dkUqO9wq1O7P/harvest-betar1-zip

Version 2 (dont play this):

https://uloz.to/!sT23lIjgilYh/harvest-betar2-wad

Version 3 (dont play this):

https://uloz.to/!cBXXhGjZ7I67/harvest-betar3-rar

Version 4 (dont play this):

https://uloz.to/!IRbTKojAU63c/harvest-betar4-wad

Final:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/g-i/harvestx

b.PNG

Edited by NinjaLiquidator : change of truth

I suggest you to change your double pistol sprites to these ones, in which both pistols have a shadow on the right side, whereas yours are just mirrored and each has a shadow on a different side, unnaturally.

I'll give this a go when I get home this evening, the screenshots look interesting.

Edit: I've played the first map and I like the layout. It took me a few goes to get past the first section, but after that the rest of the map was relatively straight forward. I did find myself getting snagged on some of the walls (like either side of the first switch, triggering the first trap). This is more of an annoyance than a bug though.

Overall I really liked the map! I'll look forward to seeing the next one. 

Edited by Relinquished

I've only played map 1 so far (PrBoom+ complevel 9, UV, a few saves after difficult battles), here are my thoughts on it:

The ideas are solid throughout, but the execution is lacking in some places.

The first area's layout is great and it forces the player to keep moving while fighting, as there aren't really any natural chokepoints or safe corners, but the progression in it after pressing the button is way too confusing. I'm still not sure if it's badly timed or if there are easily missable trigger lines, but my experience was: open up a set of monster closets, run around killing everything, wander for a minute or two in the empty room, get ambushed by enemies from newly opened closets I didn't even hear, repeat a few times, wander around for five minutes, then suddenly the megasphere secret opens up and when I clean it out, the way forward is open.

The next room is the best in my opinion. I couldn't see any real flaws in it. The Cyberdemon is a real threat, with the uneven but generally open floor making it hard to kite him, and the gallery full of enemies forcing you to split your attention, making you vulnerable. Even when I decided to just rush into the orange corridor and let the herd thin itself out behind me, when I returned it was still a difficult room to clear.

The corridor itself is kind of bland. The gimmick of teleporting the enemies as well as the player between its two halves doesn't quite work and makes the Pain Elementals that eventually show up much less of a threat than they could otherwise be.

The yellow key room is the biggest letdown. There are a lot of small architectural details to get stuck on, but if you can avoid those, cleaning out the initial population of enemies is trivially easy. Pressing the switch to lower the YK does teleport in a much more threatening array of monsters, but if you're quick enough, you can run back and reach a cubbyhole in one of the walls before they all arrive, allowing you to alert them at your own leisure and plasma them to death in bite-sized pieces.

In general, despite my complaints, I really enjoyed the map. I hope the rest are at least as good. One thing that didn't affect my enjoyment at all but might be considered a bit of a problem is that I saw a lot of small nodebuilder errors, like thin slimetrails or weird seams between linedefs that were only visible for a split second when I was walking in a certain direction.

@Solarn a) First room teleporting doesnt happen in order of minutes in Zdoom. Can be caused by PrBoom compatibility shit with conveyor belts. I need to look at it, cause the closets are supposed to open in faster pace, like 30s after each other. My mistake.

b) I am glad you like the second room, but in my opinion its the weakest place. Brings no new architecture, and also you can skip the battle by run through enemies right to yellow corridor (and do the same after return with yellow key)

c) Yellow key room is suppossed to be the cherry on the top. Nicest detail and easier gameplay. Its a reward after fights before :D

d) Nodebuilder errors arent in my competence so fuck them

e) Thanks for detailed review and I hope you will play also the next maps. The first one was best, others are just speedmaps but nice. Please let me know how the other maps went ;-)

If this were tested in PrBoom+ you'd notice the wall texture you tried to use as a flat in the opening of map 3 where rocket is picked up(both sides).  The final fight of map 3 is clearly meant for infinite height turned off and room to be creative with zdoom flying monster slide.  I tried the final fight for an hour over two days and stopped, not even going to bother with map 4.  

If you're going to make a wad for a sourceport, test it in that actual port instead of saying you did.  Perhaps you could provide a demo of gameplay?  Not youtube video, an actual lmp recorded in PrBoom+.

@loveless I noted mentioned issues, thanks. Map3 textures will be fixed.

But even through I am playing hard maps on Zdoom, I cant play a shit in PrBoom (even easy maps!). I always give it a chance, but I always ragequit that shit after few mins. It just doesnt feel right. The movement, the damage. Hits that are supposed to hit, are missing, and so. By "tested" I actually meant "IDDQDd through to make a check that it works".

Btw, map3 and map4 are supposed to be unplayable. It is a new style of maps, that are meant to be only TASed. I consider it a surprise that there is a way to do them at least in Zdoom. Do you play on skill 1? For sure you must save all plasma for the final fight in map3, but I dont know the next step :D

5 hours ago, NinjaLiquidator said:

By "tested" I actually meant "IDDQDd through to make a check that it works".

Btw, map3 and map4 are supposed to be unplayable. It is a new style of maps, that are meant to be only TASed. I consider it a surprise that there is a way to do them at least in Zdoom. Do you play on skill 1? For sure you must save all plasma for the final fight in map3, but I dont know the next step :D

Just chiming in here to point out that I find the highlighted parts somewhat concerning. If even the mapper does not know how things could be done in TAS (in maps which are supposedly TAS-exclusive), then I don't know why someone else should actually look at that difficulty setting to begin with, let alone consider TASing it.

What you basically say is that you were making maps which are meant to be TASed (while also being joke maps at the same time?), but then you say that you don't actually know how things would need to unfold in a map which you yourself made. Colour me confused, deeply confused even. I mean, there's a "plan" for those maps, right? Like, you designed them with an actual solution in mind, right? Or is this "TAS-difficulty" based mostly on "guesstimation"?

Usually, "impossible" maps are discovered to be possible, when tested enough. Some time back, I designed puzzles like that - with no clue if they are possible, and always found a way (sometimes after a WEEK).

I occassionally play through those maps for fun, cause I like how it increases skill. And I just did 49 minutes / 93 deaths on UV. I discovered that Map03 couldnt be that big problém if you save enough plasma, and quite safe way to do Map04 mirror fight. Only thing that remains with question mark, is Map04 final fight (that is still savescumming and cost me 70 deaths). And I have to say my Doom skills are mediocre. So someone better could definitely do that, no doubt.

Update. I just did 41 minutes / 31 deaths (but that is mainly caused by massive 20-death TILT on Map01). I am still not sure if its maxable, but

FOR SURE IT IS UV-SPEEDABLE,

when you play Map01-04 (not separate maps). No brute force, just brain. Strategy and saving your resources. Trying to brute force through maps will result in your rage quits. I can post you a solution on request, but trust me you can do it.

Also, now I can change the top post...

Map05 has no exit :D found it out. Fix later.

Latest test result for original 4 maps: 37 mins /31 deaths, while 29 of deaths was Map01 flesh room AGAIN. Whats wrong with you, that easiest part for you is hardest for me?

I just downloaded this. Somehow, I missed this last summer. Cool screenshots. As is my wont, I looked inside the wad.

1st - You have two Dehacked entries. I'm not sure pr-boom will load more than one. You should probably combine them.

2nd - When you loaded the graphics into your wad, you also loaded a copy of cc4-tex.wad. Removing the 13MB entry would make your download a lot smaller.

@EffinghamHuffnagel

1) Dehacked entries arent even PrBoom compatible at all :D - I think those are some custom weapons from time when I thought it will be no problém. Just ignore them.

2) Cc4tex is here because I need it :P and I always hate when somebody uploads a map, and I must seek for external resources, so I do the opposite thing. 13MB isnt that big deal in age of Terabytes, its better to have it all-in-one. My decision.

I look forward to your review of actual maps...

Quick question: Can I play this with Zandronum 3.0/ GZDoom? And is Map 05 fixed in the beta R2?

@Zulk RS I have fixed it but cant upload cause I am visiting parents and internet there sucks :D just play the first 4 for start, I think it will be enough hard for you.

First 4 should be OK. Map05 and map30 are just additions, can be buggy.

MAP01: I played this on HMP with moderate save-scumming (I play almost everything with save-scumming). It wasn't too bad. It was frustrating at times though because the weird shape of the map kept getting in the way of my movement and my rockets. That problem wasn't too prominent outside the first room however. Overall, not bad.

@Zulk RSThats cool, next maps are EVIL BITCHES, prepare.

Also, those are all speedmaps.

Map01 = 16 hours total

Map02 = 3 hours

Map03 = 4h 30min

Map04 = 4 hours

Map05 = 2h 30min

and

Map30 = 3h 30min

PS: I am just working on 7th one

MAP02 Complete. I liked how this one looked. Creative use of textures. This one was a lot easier than MAP01 and I had a lot of fun shooting the cacos and the archvile through the bars. The map was a lot less cramped and didn't get in my way. I liked this one a lot more than MAP01.

MAP03 Complete. This map was a little rough at the start but overall not too bad. I kinda cheesed the Caco fight by holing up in the vent and thinning their numbers with rockets. Only when it was too late did I realize that I could've probably just exited the map easily without having to kill everything. In that regard, the map probably seemed a lot tougher than it actually was. Ah well... I'll pay more attention next time. As for the design, it is very colorful and overall sorta pretty to look at.

I'm afraid I didn't. Also, it's kinda hard to notice so I ended up killing all the monsters in the map.

Damn! I screwed myself over on MAP04. Will have to replay the wad. I think I'll skip MAP01 though.