Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spooner5020

The 13th Doctor is a woman.

I really hope this doesn't turn into another Ghostbusters disaster.

To be honest i never really watched the newer series of Doctor who.  I more or less watched the older series from the 80's and 70's on VHS When i was little. But i do think that this will end up similar to what happened to Ghostbusters.

Edited by MrD!zone

Don't like it? Stop watching Dr. Who. Simple as that.

I am sure the real Dr. Who fans will be happy not to count you among them any more - no real loss!

Remember, anyone can be a doctor, even women.

Men can be nurses, too!

I'm completely out of the loop for Dr. Who and I have a basic understanding that the Doctor (and other characters?) changes actors every couple seasons; is it ever aknowledged in the show? Are jokes usually made? I can see some comedic stuff coming from this, like when Saints Row 2 allowed you to be a woman while the first one didn't but the story is a continuation, the characters just kinda go "...did you cut your hair or something?"

I don't watch Dr. Who, but from my understanding the Doctor is an alien life form so it can take the shape of any human form it likes. 

Saints Row 2, and Dr. Who, Ghostbusters, and a lot of other things all prove one MAJOR thing: It matters the person and their actions, not their gender, in the end.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

I don't watch Dr. Who, but from my understanding the Doctor is an alien life form so it can take the shape of any human form it likes. 

It isn't quite like that. For the most part, he can't choose what he looks like after a regeneration (with a few exceptions of course). Also, male->female regenerations have been done before, just not with the Doctor until now (never mind Curse of Fatal Death). The Master being the most notable one. Also, female->male, just not on screen.

If I was a fan I would be excited. Seems like a simple and effective way to do something very fresh with a show that's been going on for decades.

I'm totally fine with the 13th Doctor being female since its been establish since the David Tennant episodes(if I'm not mistaken) that Time Lords can regenerate into a different gender.

I like Dr. Who, but haven't seen more than maybe about 25 episodes. I wasn't sure if Time Lords could regenerate into different genders, but now I know that they can. And with that, I don't see anything wrong with this. I also don't find anything the least bit surprising about it.

7 minutes ago, Ichor said:

It isn't quite like that. For the most part, he can't choose what he looks like after a regeneration (with a few exceptions of course). Also, male->female regenerations have been done before, just not with the Doctor until now (never mind Curse of Fatal Death). The Master being the most notable one. Also, female->male, just not on screen.

So not only was it possible to be a completely different race and gender, but it's happened before with other characters in the show?

This is a completely established rule in the series then and literally has no reasoning for it not to happen.

You can make arguments for something like James Bond, but that's something else entirely.

Well TBF, we already knew the 13th Doctor was a woman since 1999.

Doctor: *Turns on Sonic Screwdriver* "Oh look! It has three settings!"

In all seriousness, the title for this thread should be the 14th Doctor, 12th actually numbered

since the War Doctor and the Meta Crisis Doctor weren't numbered

I think the reason it upsets me so much is because the BBC blatantly lied about it not being a woman. I read an article about Kris Marshall being the 13th Doctor and they said they wanted someone in the vein of Tennant and that if they went with a female Doctor the show would lose viewers. I may have been ok if they kept it a secret and just gave little hints about it possibly being a female,but they didn't. Mind you I was looking forward to Kris Marshall being the Doctor.

Also I do agree I think this will be another Ghostbusters 2016 situation mixed with the Paul Mcgann Doctor. 

I just don't see why they just didn't do a female timelord spin off. That way fans can be happy. Sarah Jane adventures was pretty much the female Doctor Who and that was pretty good.

Oh for fuck sake.

I'm not a whovian anymore and I haven't been for about four years so I don't care. But I can't help but think how awkward it would it would be for all the straight women the doctor has kissed. Other then that, I don't think it matters.

Also I wonder if they'll reference this:

The Doctor becoming a woman was something they threw around as far back as the first or second regeneration, but never actually went through with it for whatever reason. It was only a matter of time before they used up every other variation of "weird smarty British person." Who knows, maybe next time they'll make a ginger doctor and finally put that gag to rest.

Personally I stopped watching Doctor Who at around the 11th regen anyways since the writing only seemed to get shitter and shitter with the occasional spike of shitness whenever Steven Moffat was the one writing the episode.

1 hour ago, Spooner5020 said:

I'm speechless. I can't believe they actually went through with a female Doctor.

I am genuinely happy about this, because now I can finally enjoy having a male Doctor Who sidekick to adore, while also having a female Doctor Who to adore as well... Love it!

I'm excited.  I used to be obsessed with Doctor Who,  but stopped watching because I got tired of Steven Moffat and his contrived,   hole-filled plots and weirdly dated gender stereotypes. His first series was great but the quality drastically dropped every season,  and I had stopped watching midway through Peter Capaldi's first series.  The new writer already shows that he wants to take things in a bold direction, but I await to see how his writing stands up, as some of the episodes he's written for Doctor Who already I've found a bit meh. (The Power of Three has one of the worst endings to an otherwise great episode and wonderful throwback to the RTD era, which I found overall more entertaining)

Also the new Ghostbusters being female is such a stupid thing to point to, it failed because it wasn't a good movie, not because of the ridiculously overblown controversy of e casting choice.  If you seriously think women aren't funny go watch some Parks and Rec or 30 Rock.

Meh, I don't care, I don't really watch doctor who and don't get the appeal. Also, 13 seasons ? really ?

William Hartnell is the only Doctor; all others are impostors.

I think it's awesome they're going this direction, it should make the show a bit more interesting. This could get me back into it but I don't think I'm ready yet to give them another chance after how they mishandled a certain favorite character of mine at the end of Series 9. At least Moffat is gone.

It's funny how Moffat wrote some of the best episodes (IMO) of the Eccleston/Tennant era; it should have been amazing when he took over leading the show. Matt Smith's first series was pretty good, then I lost interest during the following series. As for Capaldi, he will always be Malcolm to me :P

She's pretty good looking. I have no idea what this show is (I have never watched it) but I'd rather stare at her, than some ugly dude.

Plus women can be awesome protagonists, like Ripley from Alien. Seems like a good opportunity to reinvigorate the show and get some attention for ratings. Do something different. After like, forty years. May as well. Could always go back to a male again next time. Get some variety going.

The 13th doctor isn't a doctor at wall!!!! She's a witch!

Whatever gets people talking. One day the doctor will be a CGI person.

I've never seen the show. All I know is doctor changes and blue phone booth. I looked up the phone booth. Its a police phone booth.

As long as she's a good Doctor, it's whatever. I just hope it isn't forced like a certain movie mentioned previously.