Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
termrork

Port for RPG like game

Some might know that I am working on a Doom RPG using the Diablo 2 engine.

And this by writing a program which extracts all resources out of the doom wads and modifying diablo 2 such that it is really a doom rpg.

Nevertheless, I of course also want to make the reverse, making a doom mod for the diablo 2 universe.

Therefore my questions:

1)

is there a source port which has already a complex item system which can do the following:

monsters drop items more or less randomly. doomguy has an inventory and items can be equipped. items have stats.

Also to fulfill my needs the port has to be open of course and the source code has to be (partially) accessible.

2)

if you do not know of any port which can do this. what port would you suggest to take as a base and code this in by my own?

GZDoom has everything you need for item 1, and is open source as well. ZDoom does too, but it's not maintained anymore.

I believe it also has mouse support on a HUD for a more easy experience with equipping items.

Look for a mod called Guncaster, it has an equippable power suit; Should make for a good example.

10 hours ago, termrork said:

the diablo 2 engine ;)? don't think there is another game with that engine

then how you are using it? i don't think blizzard has make the engine public

21 hours ago, termrork said:

Some might know that I am working on a Doom RPG using the Diablo 2 engine.

And this by writing a program which extracts all resources out of the doom wads and modifying diablo 2 such that it is really a doom rpg.

Nevertheless, I of course also want to make the reverse, making a doom mod for the diablo 2 universe.

Therefore my questions:

1)

is there a source port which has already a complex item system which can do the following:

monsters drop items more or less randomly. doomguy has an inventory and items can be equipped. items have stats.

Also to fulfill my needs the port has to be open of course and the source code has to be (partially) accessible.

2)

if you do not know of any port which can do this. what port would you suggest to take as a base and code this in by my own?

Dude you should check out Wrath Of Chronos. It has RPG elements, equiptable items, and some other fun interesting things.

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=35846

http://www.moddb.com/games/hexen/addons/woc-16c-with-hexercise-1031

@Maisth: of course not, it is blizzard and not idsoftware. but it is possible to mod with it. i.e. consider doom without the source code released, you can still make something like hex quest.

@Jimp Argon: holy moly, I checked a video of it, thanks a lot, this looks really like what I was looking for!

Either GZDoom or Eternity are the two engines you should look at.