Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrGlide

Let's talk about Quake 1!

Do you play Quake 1? If not, then why? If you do play, Do you play custom maps, or use quake injector? What are your opinions on the source ports, and which is your favorite? What are your favorite maps? Let's talk Quake!

Quake is one of my favorite games of all time, and by far the best of the franchise. I love the gritty visuals, the intense gameplay, the haunting soundtrack by Trent Reznor, and the influence of H.P. Lovecraft. I would have to say my favorite map is E4M8: The Nameless City, the secret map from The Elder World episode. I really wish id Software would revisit the original Quake game.

Quake 1 is freakin' amazing, and has supplanted Doom as my favorite game.  For me, it's the only true 3D game that has felt truly Doom-like, and not just "I'm going to throw a bunch of monsters at you all at once and call it Doom-like."

I don't think I have a single favorite map, at least in the original game.  Pretty much all of American McGee's were gorgeous and very well designed, as were Peterson's and Romero's.  I generally hate Tim Willits's maps, though.  When it comes to community-made maps, mappi2 is by far my favorite.

Speaking of which, I play some custom maps - more than I do Doom, for sure.  Quakespasm has become my go-to port since it works well, supports the high res texture pack, and seems very stable.  Never tried the Quake Injector, though.  I'm so used to being on the command line that I just do everything there or in the console.  I mean, doing "quakespasm -game awesomemod" or "quake +map myawesomebspfile" is pretty damned easy once you understand how Quake handles addons.

Editing for Quake has been an interesting experience, and not just because of the move to using brushes in 3D.  It's like in some ways, Quake is more advanced than Doom, such as how it works with entities and how much I can do without ever touching QuakeC.  Having a fully-featured editor that works on Linux is also a HUGE turn on for me.  But in other areas it's lagging behind, such as adding custom 24-bit any-resolution textures easily and seeing them in the editor.  Information on editing in the wikis also feels lacking compared to ZDoom's wiki.  But overall, I think I prefer Quake.

I don't know how I feel about quake, other than I like it a lot, for that matter.

One thing quake does well is creating good gameplay with relatively low monstercounts, whereas doom is much superior in creating good gameplay with higher monstercounts (high in comparison that is). Eventhough you can get away with slaughtery stuff in quake, provided there is enough real estate or a quad-dmg somewhere, applying the quake kind of gameplay to doom doesn't work so well. So depending on what I'm in the mood for I play one over the other, but generally I prefer doomII over quake for its different kind of pace.

I Haven't played Quake 1 yet because i need to buy it, though i would like to since i also would like to design some maps for it.

Favorite Map : the one full of shit jumping everywhere while a vore's missile chases you to hell, yes. All of the maps that have that. Obligatory : OH GOD IT IS A SHAMBLER I'LL RUN INSTEAD OF CHEESING HIS MELEE ATTACK AND DIE.

I am new to Quake, but from the little I have played of Quake 1 (beaten one episode and its crazy low gravity secret level), I love it! I appreciate good atmosphere in games, as I already said in previous threads and this one is no exception. Add to that, id's gameplay and exploration for secrets and you have said everything that needs to be said. Quake 1 will go at the same position with Hexen, on my favourite FPS games list (second) and is probably my favourite from the whole series.

I have also seen gameplay of Quake 2, but it didn't feel the same. It was a lot brighter actually. There's just something about Quake 1's atmosphere that was never surpassed. It is dark and foreboding, like I think it should have always been with all the SP games from the series.

Then, Quake 3 must be one of the most balanced multiplayer games ever.

And Quake 4 was average (played it a year ago). It got some things right (weapons and simple story), while it downright failed in others (slow movement and tedious gameplay from time to time).

That is my current opinion on the series and I wish to play more of those games (if only I hadn't started playing a dozen other games simultaneously).

Lucky person :), Quake 1's later parts are (imo) way more fun than the early parts, You get introduced to a ton of nice fellas. 

I love the first Quake, easily the best one out of the series, recently finished it + both mission packs around 3 hours each on hard and had a blast. I also dabbled in quite a sizable portion of the SP content for it back in the early 00's. I used FitzQuake for a while and now use Quakespasm as it's a solid port. I would consider Quake to be the 3D Doom as it has a great balance of enemies, weapons and pickups as well as fast, brutal and satisfying combat. Excellent art direction, sound design and music too. It's just all very tightly designed.

E: Oh yeah, I also don't have a favorite map or episode, I think they're all great though the fourth episode gets really, really hard at times. I also think both expansions are on par with the original game and are mandatory to play for the full Q1 experience.

To this day the Shambler is still one of the scariest video game monsters ever. For something of that size, it can sure move fast and ruin your day in a heartbeat. 

Quake 1's max difficulty is hidden, it turns the game into a metal concert where you dance with remorseless monsters. Give it a try you won't regret it :P.

15 minutes ago, Pegg said:

You get introduced to a ton of nice fellas.

Ahh yes, wonderfully nice fellas such as the Vore and those goddamn blobs *shudders*

Quake's episode 1, to me, feels like a good introduction, but the real magic is in the other three episodes.  The second one is very medieval, and was done by Romero.  Episode three is very gothic, metallic, and done mostly by American McGee.  Episode for is a son of a gun to beat, is creepy as hell, and was done by Peterson.  I get scared every time I play through the game and make it to episode four.

One thing I've been wondering just for fun lately is, if the Doomguy was put into Ranger's shoes, how well would he fare?  How well would Ranger fare in the world of Doom 1 and 2?  Assuming they got to keep their weapons and powerups, I'd imagine Doom to feel like a cakewalk for Ranger, and Quake to feel just a tad bit harder for Doomguy.

If you went by weapon stats, Doomguy would stomp much more ass, as the SG & SSG in Doom2 is far stronger than the Quake one. Replace the lighting gun with plasma, I'm not sure. But in that defense, The Super NailGun is far stronger than the chaingun. So Ranger has better Time with Bullets/nails, and Doomguy does better with Shells.

19 minutes ago, YukiRaven said:

One thing I've been wondering just for fun lately is, if the Doomguy was put into Ranger's shoes, how well would he fare?  How well would Ranger fare in the world of Doom 1 and 2?  Assuming they got to keep their weapons and powerups, I'd imagine Doom to feel like a cakewalk for Ranger, and Quake to feel just a tad bit harder for Doomguy.

Doomguy should do pretty well in quakeI assuming he would be able to jump where it is required, and aim up/down for that matter. Problem is the vastly slower SSG, but once there's rockets and plasma gun (which imo should replace the super nail gun in that case) things should be nice and easy. Shamblers and vores you just BFG, because why bother at all...?

If we're sticking to iwads, they should be a cakewalk for ranger as well, especially because of the faster shotgun/SSG and shooting grenades around corners would also help a lot.

Basically I don't see a problem in both cases as long as we're talking original Id content. Put ranger in a doomII slaughter.wad, that's calling for trouble though...

Here's my take on the series (the main four games)

• Quake 1 is a masterpiece. The last great game from Id Software, in my opinion. The level design and architecture was fantastic. It looked great and was dripping with atmosphere. While some of the traps seemed a little off, and a few areas could have been done better, every level is fabulous. The mashed up of various themes works in the way that makes the player feel they are in a place they aren't meant to be in or understand adds to the fear factor and experience. It's a shame episodes 2 through 4 didn't have a proper boss fight. The monster roster is a step up from Doom's. The different types of enemies are all unique from each other and makes fights more dynamic and dangerous in some areas. Each of the weapons, while are mostly taken from Doom's lineup, are fun to use and all function the way they are expected, with some twists to make them a little unique (like the pump action double barreled shotgun or the nail gun instead of a machine gun). One of the things that takes the cake for me is the sound design, and the guy behind it. The sound design is wonderful and memorable, even if some of the monsters don't entirely make the sound you'd think they should make. And the ambient tracks in place of music works perfectly within every level. And even outside of Quake it still works for any horror atmosphere. The only thing I think could have been done better there was it needed more variety in sound, but for something made in the last minute, it still sounds great. Overall Quake is probably my favorite singleplayer FPS. My level design is heavily inspired by it, and I would love to see more games that successfully take Quake's style get made in the future. 

• Unfortunately, for the series itself and the other games, they are lackluster compared to the first. Quake 2 and 3 should never have been given the title. Quake 2 has nothing to do with 1 (other then the fact Ranger and Bitterman make the same jump sounds). The entire game was pretty boring and tedious to get through. None of the levels were really that interesting, if they were. The monsters were pretty dull and uninspired, and most of them looked ugly (not in an demonic way, more like something Frankstein himself would not approve), and fights against them were pretty dull. Most noticeable with boss fights. The weapon lineup was just completely rehashed from Doom and Quake 1, and somehow aren't as fun or satisfying to use. The only thing that was really good about the game was a soundtrack. Trent Reznor himself told Id Quake 2 didn't have the same atmosphere was Quake 1 so he refused to work on anther soundtrack. Sonic Mayhem's industrial metal tunes were really good, and great to listen to. Though frankly they are way to short to be placed in the levels and sometimes don't fit. As a whole, I think Quake 2 was the weakest game of the series, and after finishing it, I have no reason or desire to play it again.

• Quake 3 was a decent game, though again it shouldn't have been called Quake since it's got very little to do with Quake 1. I saw someone say before it should have been called "Id Software Arena". That is a much more fitting name. It's a pretty good game, and can be pretty fun and damn fast. The weapons, while dull, have their uses, and the levels are designed well and look good. The soundtrack again was done well. Some of the tracks are kinda boring, and Sonic Mayhem's Noise Album for the game had tracks that were better than some of the ones in the game itself. Though all the tracks worked great with the levels. However the game itself is squashed by Unreal Tournament, the superior arena shooter. UT had more unique weapons, better looking graphics (in my honest opinion), better levels, completely customizable games/matches with it's own mutators the player can put as they please, a better campaign (for the people who do play those), and had way more maps to offer for the core game alone. Also, I find that Quake 3 Arena fans are irritating as all hell and arguing with them is like arguing with an arrogant brick wall. Maybe that's just me.

• Lastly, Quake 4 was pretty much a Doom 3 clone, but with less horror and more sci fi elements, as well as team mates that back you up through the linear levels. Thankfully for the game I really liked Doom 3 which is probably part of the reason why I liked Quake 4, even though it was pretty mediocre. Other than these main four games, I have no comment for any of the couple others in the series.

It's one of the best games ever made. The atmosphere is thoroughly absorbing, the action is intense, the sound design is magnificent, and the weapons and enemies are perfectly balanced. 

To be honest, I don't like Quake 1 itself very much. Not sure why, I just found it rather boring. 

The modding community, however, is top notch.

Love Quake 1, hate the last episode and skip it every play through.

Quake 2 MP was groundbreaking at the time of release, especially when CTF was released and gamespy was around.

Q3 still is Arena Master.  And I find the atmosphere more akin to Q1.

I like Quake 1 because of the immersive atmosphere that the game brings to you. Pretty hard too compared to Quake 2 imo...I even had a original CD of Quake 1 that I found casually in the street but I think that I lost it :'(.

Quake 2 was really fun, lots of hours spent on that game...even on the PSX version.

And Quake 3 was a beast too when the direct competitor UT99 was there. Fun times, played on LAN with my cousin and brother. Good memories.

The only Quake that I didn't played was the 4th one...

As for the other games, Q2 is far better when you learn to strafe jump, but I still prefer 1 over it. Q3 is cool in all, but I still prefer Unreal. Q4 is way to slow. I didn't get to finish it, uninstalled.

The only things I'm not fond of in Quake 1 are the shotguns, and lack of endgame monsters. I've been playing a lot and the Vore and Shambler feel pretty (high)Mid tier for me, I wish there were more creative, and highly dangerous enemies like the archvile, Pain elemental, CyberDemon. I'v checked out many of the custom monsters that are available and many of them feel pretty out of place, though I've seen some nice additions to (strogg? Mind controlled space marines?).

1 minute ago, MrGlide said:

Q4 is way to slow. I didn't get to finish it, uninstalled.

to be fair, when you get turned into a strogg, you move a lot faster than before. That aside, quake4's pace is pretty sluggish compared to its predecessors.

The thing about Vores and Shamblers is that location and number matters more with them than it does with boss level monsters in Doom.  The expected amount ammo the player will have when they encounter also matters a lot more.  If you just place a Shambler in a room with pillars, even when the player has only the shotgun, he's an annoyance at best.  Place him on a platform directly above the player, which the player has to reach in order to continue, and things change quite a bit.  With Vores, one around the corner at the end of a hallway is also just an annoyance.  But make them spawn around the player in the open, with very little cover, and they're going to have a bad time.

Quake 4 isn't bad, and I liked how it was similar to Doom 3 (which I loved), but it wasn't too memorable.  But regardless of whether you like it or not, you have to at least admit that the Stroggification process is a damn fun and memorable scene.

Quake 2 is pretty good, but at the same time feels... I dunno, sorta bland?  It's where Id games started feeling more like glorified tech demos to advertise their engines than serious games.  I did enjoy the higher number of hitscanners, though.  Especially the one whose head you can blow off and he falls down firing his gun.

Quake 3 is good, but its single player feels all over the place.  Some of the bots are stupidly easy to kill, regardless of difficulty or what tier they appear in, while some are frustratingly hard.  I definitely had a much more fun time playing it in multiplayer back in the day, on the various instagib servers.

5 minutes ago, YukiRaven said:

The thing about Vores and Shamblers is that location and number matters more with them than it does with boss level monsters in Doom.

This is something I will have to disagree with. If you ever play speed of doom's "Cliffside siege" you'll know how much of a pain in the ass one single SMM can be throughout half a map. That SMM is easily one of the best SMMs in all of doom modding just for the sheer number of people it has pissed off over the years. ;-)

The irritating thing about shamblers and vores actually is that they're considered boss monsters, when they're not really something that would qualify as such in many other games. If I were to put a shambler in a tier of enemies that corresponds with doom, he wouldn't be much more than a cheeseable archvile in most cases, kind of like an archvile/revenant hybrid because of melee cheesing. Of course everything changes when you have them turreted.

11 minutes ago, YukiRaven said:

Quake 4 isn't bad, and I liked how it was similar to Doom 3 (which I loved), but it wasn't too memorable.  But regardless of whether you like it or not, you have to at least admit that the Stroggification process is a damn fun and memorable scene.

This, I will have to 100% agree with.

Funnily enough, I liked the non-FPS-ish stuff in quake 4 more than the actual gunplay, just because it was a nice change of pace. Like those sequences where you were in one of those mechs, or run strogg over with a hovertank.

18 minutes ago, YukiRaven said:

But make them spawn around the player in the open, with very little cover, and they're going to have a bad time.

Comically, I'v an easy time against vore in open spaces. All you have to do is do a small circle strafe in front of them, and that will collect their missiles for you. It's kinda like kitting in Nazi Zombies. and then rub them off on an edge or nuke the next monster you can find.

But I guess my overall statement on quakes end game in comparisons to Doom, is it has less variety. Also left over pellets not peircing enemies simplifies the shotgun play a bit to much for my tastes.

13 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

The irritating thing about shamblers and vores actually is that they're considered boss monsters

Except they're not...  They're considered high tier monsters, probably about the level of a Baron (though far more dangerous), but they are absolutely not considered bosses by any stretch.  They aren't even used as such in the original Quake - two Shamblers appears in e1m3 on hard.  The true bosses of Quake are Chthon and Shub Niggurath (the latter of which is a pretty crappy boss IMO).  The bosses are definitely the one area where Quake lacks.  But it's flat out wrong to treat or view Vores and Shamblers as bosses.

I feel this is a relevant post for the thread, especially for anyone who hasn't already seen it.

1 hour ago, YukiRaven said:

Quake 3 is good, but its single player feels all over the place.  Some of the bots are stupidly easy to kill, regardless of difficulty or what tier they appear in, while some are frustratingly hard.  I definitely had a much more fun time playing it in multiplayer back in the day, on the various instagib servers.

I recently went through it again but on HMP. I think Crash is a very tough opponent without map control on Nightmare (deny her the shotgun) and Hunter is a complete bitch with the lightning gun if she gets it. Xaero just plain cheats on anything higher than HMP thanks to what appears to be auto-aiming with the railgun (I went through a sizable chunk on Nightmare early on and the rest on Hardcore and got roadblocked by Xaero last time).

5 minutes ago, cyan0s1s said:

I recently went through it again but on HMP. I think Crash is a very tough opponent without map control on Nightmare (deny her the shotgun) and Hunter is a complete bitch with the lightning gun if she gets it. Xaero just plain cheats on anything higher than HMP thanks to what appears to be auto-aiming with the railgun (I went through a sizable chunk on Nightmare early on and the rest on Hardcore and got roadblocked by Xaero last time).

I've always found Doom to be a pain in the ass. I manage to always get second by HMP or up. Yet the rest of the bots on that teir were exactly the same to deal with. Xaero was annoying too, but I figured out how to beat that meddling monk.

Quake holds a special place in my heart. I had it before I had Internet, and then when I had Internet it was so shit (12 kbps or worse) that I only played multiplayer with the Zues bot. But, I didn't have a whole lot of games, so I spent a lot of hours playing it. Loved everything about it - the levels, the enemies, the weapons, the sounds (deathmatch isn't deathmatch to me without the bass from spammed rocket launchers and the original quad damage sound file), it was actually my first introduction to Nine Inch Nails, the Dopefish, and this was also the time I was dipping my toes into Doom editing as well, so I was psyched about it being made by the same guys as Doom. Played a lot of custom levels, but never really attempted editing (my first honest foray into a raw 3D editor was WrackED, which was incredibly hybrid Doom\Quake like in design and why I loved it). Always wished they would revisit it, and loved the Strogg storyline as well, but would love to see a spiritual successor or a faithful reboot (actual sprawling levels with the insane physics and weapons in the same vein of Lovecraft Medieval Sci-Fi) to the original. The game Wrath that has a thread in EE looks amazing, like it could be a great Hexen-Quake style game (Confession: I still need to beat Hexen) so I'm excited to see that, it'll tickle my nostalgia. Never played the expansions. I still have my original Q1 CD (it's scratched but still works) and I used to road trip solo smoking weed and listening to the soundtrack (my Ranger had a badass factory speaker system with killer bass, and Trent delivered). Mmm, good memories.

22 minutes ago, cyan0s1s said:

Xaero just plain cheats on anything higher than HMP thanks to what appears to be auto-aiming with the railgun (I went through a sizable chunk on Nightmare early on and the rest on Hardcore and got roadblocked by Xaero last time).

Heh, Xaero is "easy" in the sense that if your rail always hits you'll just outfrag him. He has a very specific route he takes after respawning, and when you got that route figured out, you can always forge ahead.

The thing about bot-AIs in quake is that they all have their favourite weapon. So when they have that, their aim with that weapon is the same as in the next higher difficulty, since Xearo's fav is the railgun (similar to Klesk) he already has relatively good aim with it by default, and on NM he misses like 1/50 shots if you're lucky.