Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
atroche

Beautiful WADs

My friend finds the Doom mod scene to be energising and inspiring, but she's not a fan of gore, Gieger, violence and demons. That combo stresses her out, basically.

Are there any mods that aim to be beautiful in quite a different way to Doom, or that focus less on adrenaline?

I guess Chex Quest should be ok wad for person who doesn't like violence and blood or run wads with -nomonsters line.

1 minute ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

I guess Chex Quest should be ok wad for person who doesn't like violence and blood or run wads with -nomonsters line.

Hah, I'll send her the link. On a semi-related note, if you had to name one wad as “the most beautiful”, which would it be?

Just now, atroche said:

Hah, I'll send her the link. On a semi-related note, if you had to name one wad as “the most beautiful”, which would it be?

Toilet of the Gods,  but it's slaughter wad. Saturnine Chapel, Ancient Aliens, Sunlust(slaughter wad). 

Toilet of the Gods,  but it's slaughter wad. Saturnine Chapel, Ancient Aliens, Sunlust(slaughter wad).

^I can't say I know much about chex quest, but those are all doomII wads, which are certainly beautiful, but also quite violent at times

Shadow of the Wool Ball, Rise of The Wool Ball and The Adventures of Square (these are total conversions though).

Golden Souls. The sequel is in beta, too.

Pirate Doom. (Still bloody, but way more cartoony)

Foreverhood.

I'd honestly say that Ancient Aliens is the best looking WAD I've seen. Gravity.wad has some niiiiiice surreal architecture. Lilium is pretty good looking as well.

13 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

^I can't say I know much about chex quest, but those are all doomII wads, which are certainly beautiful, but also quite violent at times

Well, -nomonsters line in zdl could do the trick. I love those light tricks in maps.

That sonic fan game, metroid dreadnaught. 

Speaking of beautiful, 50 shades of graytall might be worth looking at. Visually it certainly is a matter of taste, but what people have done there with a very limited selection of textures is impressive, and some maps, like Xaser's, Dobu's, or mechadon's are nothing short of stunning from a visual, or technical point of view.

14 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Speaking of beautiful, 50 shades of graytall might be worth looking at. Visually it certainly is a matter of taste, but what people have done there with a very limited selection of textures is impressive, and some maps, like Xaser's, Dobu's, or mechadon's are nothing short of stunning from a visual, or technical point of view.

This is like those little graphical demos coded in 256 byte executables, sadly. Beautiful, but you need some previous knowledge for the wow factor to REALLY come out.

I really enjoyed sunlust, Ancient Aliens and winter's fury (specially this one) it has nice effects and total badass ambient music.

Brutal Doom's Hell on Earth Starter Pack campaign, for obvious reasons.

Going Down, because it's so beautiful.

1 hour ago, Voros said:

Brutal Doom's Hell on Earth Starter Pack campaign, for obvious reasons.

Going Down, because it's so beautiful.

You just read the topic title and not the actual OP, didn't you?

I honestly don't know any Doom WADs that are "beautiful" in that sense without violence or gore. It's Doom after all, a game full of violence and gore. So I just went with what I felt to be beautiful. Combined with -nomonsters, it should suffice.

Or maybe HDoom is "beautiful"?

Or SRB2 and MM8BDM?

4 hours ago, Mikami41 said:

I really enjoyed sunlust, Ancient Aliens and winter's fury (specially this one) it has nice effects and total badass ambient music.

These are some suggestions most people will agree with, both from a esthetic point of view as well as for gameplay, however sunlust should be much more enjoyable on a lower difficulty. 

Who's up for a small mutator mod that helps the OP's friend have a nice clean session of Doom? We already have too many gore mods.

Map 2 of Sacrament takes place in a desolate cityscape.  Very little violence to be found here; the setting is the star of the show.  May very well be a map that suits your needs since it doesn't appeal to action-focused players.

5till L1 Complex is a single map release with a strong sense of setting.  Monster population is higher than the first suggestion but they're scattered over a large playspace and tend not to show up in large numbers all at once.

Coincidentally, the same author made both of these.

Ancient Aliens, map 24 is a must visit even if one resorts to -nomonsters if seeking beauty in Doom mods.

I will never not pimp Miasma. It's an absolute beauty. Same for Sunder, Sunlust, Ovum—all the pretty, curvy, nigh-oppressive maps. If she's not a fan of Gieger perhaps those maps will be too unnerving, but they have excellent atmosphere and style, and are at least worth a glance.

Back to Saturn X also has a rockin' texture pack that fits Doom's style surprisingly well without relying on its typically corny Satanic slant. IMO Doom can still be enjoyed without monsters, so if she's not a fan of the combat she can instead treat the mapsets as navigation puzzles.

In addition to everything mentioned above, Brigandine by Viggles is beautiful, even though it does have those hanging twitchers in cages. ;)