Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CzechMate29200

What would have made Doom 3 perfect to you?

for me, just faster gameplay, and NO reloading...

edit: and not taking 6 fucking bullets to kill a single zombie...

Edited by CzechMate29200

Just faster gameplay, better weapon sounds and slightly more colourful monster skins. All in all it's a great game.

And reloading adds to the tension, why remove it?

Its a great game on its own and it should exist in isolation to the expectations we have from a classic doom game.

More to the point, the game has some repetitive scripted sequences with all those jump scares and monster ambushes - you can tell if you go pick up that chain gun over there the lights will dim and slow moving zombies are gonna come out from nowhere for the hundredth time.

Making these moments less common and more varied in how they approach them would make them more exciting and scary as they originally planned.

To compound on this, i had a little idea. The infamous mirror moment in the toilets - what if, very briefly, you were transported into hell for a moment (the toilets are where this all takes place) and you have to fend of some demons before the dream/illusion/possession ends and you are allowed to leave the toilets. 

Be like Doom 64, except with id Tech 4, if they want a Doom to be dark and scary, but still action packed and fun.

I Think expanding the Doom universe into a Scary horror type of game tells that they were experimenting and instead of going with the usual type of game that Doom was back then, though this Horror type of game started with Doom 64 and Doom PSX Before moving completely to Doom 3, even Doom 4 was supposed to be Like Doom 3 but it was scrapped.

In my opinion i think Doom 3 its unique and doesn't need to be changed.

Just now, Maisth said:

even Doom 4 was supposed to be Like Doom 3 but it was scrapped.

Not quite. Fans were calling it Call of Doom for a reason...

17 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

Not quite. Fans were calling it Call of Doom for a reason...

I was not talking about the gameplay side but the atmosphere and story side, everything was more dark and scary like Doom 3 was, on gameplay it was like Call of duty or Battlefield indeed

Nonlinear level design, fighting more enemies coming from more directions at the same time, less ambush-based and more free-roaming monster placement, less ammo pickups in total, certain monster types behaving differently in order to be more challenging to fight... I could probably go on, these were just the first things that came to mind.

42 minutes ago, CARRiON said:

Not being System Shock: Hell Edition would be a good start.

System Shock: Hell Edition sounds like an awesome game for me.

Other games I would enjoy:

Deus Ex: Blade Runner

Dungeon Siege: Masters of the Universe

Painkiller: Lord of Destruction

Quake: Mountains of Madness

Black Mesa: Call of Pripyat

I agree with GreenKat & Scifista42.

Also, in no particular order:

-Monsters that "teleport in" should be a lot less common. It would be much better if they were already present in the game world (transported there when things go south in the beginning of the game, or shortly thereafter), because it wouldn't give you a window of opportunity to walk up to the flaming spot with your shotgun and shoot them while they aren't ready to fight back.

-Speaking of the shotgun... As it is, it's a melee weapon that magically reloads two shells when you're seen inserting one. I would prefer a more realistic approach with good range, little spread and a smaller magazine; perhaps holding five shots while replenishing them one by one in a sensible manner.

A longer storyline, say a trek through a few more base-type levels before reaching the Delta Labs region and larger variety of monster use, imps were overused and not enough use of the revenants, zombies, Z-Secs and ticks/trites after the post-Hell maps. Maybe could have made the excavation mapset longer by 2 maps?

Also the non-explosive weapons not gibbing monsters if you headshot them, particularly the zombies and Z-Secs.

Better textures, dynamic colored lighting, weapon function and sound adjustment. As well as making the game more tense and suspenseful, remove most of the jump scares, and the ones that are kept need to take the player completely off guard. And one last thing... Make the atmosphere even more fucked up.

I like the way Doom 3 was designed. I like how it explores horror rather than fast paced action. I know that makes it the black sheep of the series, but I thought it was a great concept. Just a bit flawed in execution.

I've enjoyed that game when it came out, and made great memories playing that back then, and later RoE. So nothing really needs to be changed for it to be a game I'd honor, as it already is.

Echoing what others have said here already, Doom3 was a good game in and of itself, but a couple things just could have been done better to make it a more well rounded game. From an atmospherical POV, it was put on a quite solid basis.

Unfortunately the gameplay became repetitive quick by being too much in favour of cover based combat, instances in which dodging something felt interesting were few and far between, because of how absurdly slow the enemies were with their projectiles. I kinda feel like dodging melee oriented monsters in Doom3 was more engaging than dodging the projectiles for the most part, and that already made it feel a bit non-doom-ish for me.

Edited by Nine Inch Heels

I don't imagine I could come up with an answer to the title question that's not either "Make it exactly like Doom 2" or "Make it exactly like D44m".

• Faster player movement without the stamina limitation
  • The ability to simultaneously  hold a flashlight in one hand and a pistol in the other
  • Realism be damned, I want to admire the great outdoors without suffocating
  • Proper, straight-forward boss battles, none of that Soul Cube silliness
  • A shotgun that isn't entirely useless

I enjoyed the game very much despite these gripes. Many of them can be remedied with simple modifications, and maybe someday I'll get around to configuring some of these changes or finding a mod that does so. 

2 hours ago, Megalyth said:
  • A shotgun that isn't entirely useless

I hate how you have to practically see the whites of the monsters' eyes just for the shotgun to hit them otherwise it has an abhorrent spread.

No obvious demon spawns everytime you activate or pick-up something. It was quite ridiculous, I was able to kill them even before they were visible...

Way more enemies in general.

More outdoor maps, without the need to have oxygene all the time.

A bit less bad jump scares, if the monster lineup wasn't as redundant (Maggots, Pinkies and Wraiths behaved too similarly, Imps and Vulgars behaved too similarly, behaved too similarly, stuff like that), and if the Cyberdemon fight summoned monsters from all throughout the lineup, not just Imps and Maggots (seriously, they make sure you have plenty of ammo for every gun, then give you a fight you can take on with literally 20 shells).

Besides that, I think it was a pretty good story-based shooter. I actually prefer it to Half-Life 2.

45 minutes ago, cyan0s1s said:

I hate how you have to practically see the whites of the monsters' eyes just for the shotgun to hit them otherwise it has an abhorrent spread.

In the game(play)'s defence, Doom 3 took place in unusually (for Doom) cramped quarters, so anything longer range would have made this weapon dominate at all ranges for most of the game. Which wouldn't necessarily have been a problem in my eyes, but it's pretty clear they had different "roles" in mind for each weapon.

Shotgun in Doom 3 (sans expansion) is p much akin to SSG in Doom 2 - a melee range weapon that requires you to juke around while waiting for the reload.

I would have liked there to be less separation between environment and monsters. As it is now, all special effects involve ambient sounds and moving scenery and it's very easy to tell monsters (who are very uniform) apart from this.

Otherwise, anything else would have been useful just to appease the masses who can't tolerate a design different from Doom 2: nonlinear gameplay, more monsters, faster movement. But Doom 3 didn't need these.

Doom 3 is its own level of perfection even if that is far from the original game. What would have made it perfect for me? If people stop hating it. In time the hate will swing back to love once enough famous Youtubers say "its not that bad."

There is nothing I can say that hasnt already been said but I'll point out my particular preferences.

Firstly I like triggered sequences! However Doom 3 had rather repetitive and lackluster events. Although I loved the leaked Alpha and I found it more atmospheric over all.

I'm actually fine with the flash light mechanic but the game needs to built respecting its disadvantages. Much less sudden Imp jumps and more minor tension build moments to say "hey something bad is going to happen, maybe get your gun out or retreat".

Weapons need to be way more satisfying to use. The sound at the very least.

I want a spider Mastermind and Pain Elemental. The PE can simply shoot out suicidal lost souls but spawns from 1 to 3 normal souls upon death. Oh and a wicked Baron of hell would be nice.

I understand the technology was the games strength and weakness but more open levels that's less tech would help break the repetition.

If it was as good as the beginning when all hell broke lose through the entire game it would have been excellent but after a while it just became a pretty ordinary dark action game with monster closets. It could never be a Doom-like game in terms of gameplay anyway so I'd settle for something even more scripted, like Uncharted 4. :P

I didn't mind the slower pace, better level design with more varied pacing and monster placement would have done it for me. The same old "walk down corridor, single imp spawns behind you, rinse repeat" cycle got tiresome, but I think the overall combat could be tense when it got a little more hectic or experimental.

I love Doom 3 and I still play it to this day. A few things to change;

Cut down on teleporting monsters and shorten the sequence, it becomes all to easy when you can charge a spot where a baddie is about to materialize, and it still has to go through it's roaring animation, by the time it's all said and done you've already put 2-3 shells into it's face.

Make it so the shotgun can frag baddies from more than 1 feet away. Also scrap the grenades, I barely even use them.

Scrap the Cherubs/Ticks/Vagary and modify the Maggot and Wraith so they're actually deadly.

Also make it so that the player spends a much more larger amount of time in Hell rather than what we got. I loved Doom 3's interpretation of hell, it scared the ever loving squanch out of me and I wanted to see more of it.

And while I like the character of Betruger, a man being used as a vessel by some incomprehensible being from hell, please get rid of the camp. Like if he had a mustache, he would definitely be twirling that bad boy every time he mocks the marine.

"Welcome to your death mortal".

*Twirls mustache*

Less ammo to the point a strategy is required, enemies being more violent, arachnotron & pain elemental in the game.

Extended hell level & balanced weapons.

The second paragraph of Piper Maru above.