Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CzechMate29200

What would have made Doom 3 perfect to you?

No pesky spiders, or those annoying cherubs. The lost soul already fills the quota of "small and fast shitling", we don't need any more monster like that. Also, make the Wraith more damaging, maybe even an insta-kill enemy. Their teleporting ability is barely a challenge, and as it stands, they're basically a melee-only imp.

Other than that, I already think Doom 3 is an amazing game in it's own right and I wish more people gave it a chance.

It would have been perfect if it came out in '95 and had a new weapon, a few new enemies, expanded map limits, savegame bug fixed, double the resolution of Doom, along with two new megawads by the original's mappers and the best community mappers.

(Instead of the Final Doom cashgrab)

That might've backfired greatly (Doom 2 already had complaints about being a cashgrab dlc) and even worse, Harmed development of Quake 1 even more. Now if it was released instead of Quake 2 I wouldn't even bat an eye :P.

On-Topic : I don't think any single tweak can save the game for me. I dislike all the stupid torchlight design philosophy (Not even horror games try to force using it a ton). The imp jumpscares aren't even scary and the game feels like it is dragging on forever. I tried replaying it this year and stopped playing in the map full of spiders because it was more annoying than fun by then :P.

Code-hunting being less tedious.

Lighting being slightly less agonizing with its scarcity.

Better sound design.

Better voice acting.

2 hours ago, MFG38 said:

Better sound design.

Eh? The sound design was top-notch, it really made the world come alive.

1 minute ago, Megalyth said:

The gun sounds were lacking, though.

Getting to see the now-unused concept art of various monsters in the actual game (ranging from Arachnotrons to various demon cyborgs). Plus, imagine the Hell Knight with cybernetic legs, but at least we got the Bruiser, I guess?
Now THAT melding of flesh and metal perfectly captured the Gigeresque feel of the original Doom's art style, something that Doom 2016 has been seriously lacking in terms of art direction.

11 hours ago, geo said:

Doom 3 is its own level of perfection even if that is far from the original game. What would have made it perfect for me? If people stop hating it. In time the hate will swing back to love once enough famous Youtubers say "its not that bad."

Because it's a bad thing to dislike something, even if you have legit reasons to dislike it.

5 minutes ago, CARRiON said:

Because it's a bad thing to dislike something, even if you have legit reasons to dislike it.

Monster closets and its too dark. After a decade I've just grown ill from hearing its two major legitimate criticisms.

8 hours ago, Piper Maru said:

And while I like the character of Betruger, a man being used as a vessel by some incomprehensible being from hell, please get rid of the camp. Like if he had a mustache, he would definitely be twirling that bad boy every time he mocks the marine.

"Welcome to your death mortal".

*Twirls mustache*

His laugh is fucking hilarious. I like how he laughs at EVERYTHING. A pipe collapses and some steam blows out? Laughter. A trash bin falls over? Laughter.

1 minute ago, cyan0s1s said:

His laugh is fucking hilarious. I like how he laughs at EVERYTHING. A pipe collapses and some steam blows out? Laughter. A trash bin falls over? Laughter.

The marine stubs his toe on a step.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

For me that would be a shotgun with medium accuracy, not as a melee weapon, the chainsaw fits that role, even though it should have a bit more range, grenades that don't bounce all over the place, 120 or 160 round Chaingun with increased damage, other weapons are fine.

And no knockback from getting hit by an enemy, especially those shotgun guards with thier sniper-like accuracy  that never miss hitting you, as well less ammo becuase it's all over the place.

1 hour ago, geo said:

Monster closets and its too dark. After a decade I've just grown ill from hearing its two major legitimate criticisms.

Ehhh? Too few and too bullet spongy enemies, slowass movement, cramped environments, too many scripted encounters, pea shooter weapons, non-interactive environment, you can shoot a goddamn rocket on a table with stuff on it and nothing moves. Corpses cheaply disappear into the ether ... epic fail.

Also, Delta Labs, Delta Labs, back to Delta Labs, Delta Labs again ...............................................

The answer to this is VERY SIMPLE

• Engine based on the original DOOM II engine with a few modern enhancements. (...for example Rooms above Rooms etc.)
  • Maps by John Romero - split up in Episodes like DOOM
  • New Textures and new Monsters designed by Adrian Carmack
  • 2 or 3 simple but fun gameplay enhancements.
  • 2 fun new weapons
  • 2 or 3 new items or powerups

THATS IT!   

Basically just what DOOM III would have looked like if it had been released in 95

It would be the greatest thing EVER if they'd do it now and I still don't get why A.Carmack and Romero don't team up with Bethesda and start working on it.

We probably should start a petition!!!!!   I guess it would be possible.

23 minutes ago, Doohnibor said:

It would be the greatest thing EVER if they'd do it now and I still don't get why A.Carmack and Romero don't team up with Bethesda and start working on it.

Because that's not how it works. Not only do neither one live in the USA anymore, but Romero dislikes working on the same game over and over and Carmack left id and the gaming industry as a whole in 2005.

5 minutes ago, CARRiON said:

Because that's not how it works. Not only do neither one live in the USA anymore, but Romero dislikes working on the same game over and over and Carmack left id and the gaming industry as a whole in 2005.

Where have you been during the last year?!? ; )

- If I am correctly informed they both are working on a game RIGHT NOW. So Carmack is back in the business.

- Romero released two maps for DOOM and received last years Cacoward for it.  Doesn't seem to me like he dislikes DOOM as much as you say.

- They both don't live in the US? So what? Three experienced persons could finish this game in 6 months - ANYWHERE

- Carmack and Romero would get SO much publicity AND money with this....   it would finance their current project and also push it more than anything else could!    WinWin for everyone.      Especially for the players ; )

Edited by Doohnibor

56 minutes ago, Pencil of Doom said:

grenades that don't bounce all over the place

I forgot about those things. Those are arguably the most dangerous explosives you'll see in a game. What the hell are they made out of? Rubber?

9 minutes ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

Adrian Carmack and John Romero were working on a game together, not John Carmack.

We weren't talking about John Carmack. The post clearly said Adrian Carmack  

42 minutes ago, Doohnibor said:

Where have you been during the last year?!? ; )

- If I am correctly informed they both are working on a game RIGHT NOW. So Carmack is back in the business.

- Romero released two maps for DOOM and received last years Cacoward for it.  Doesn't seem to me like he dislikes DOOM as much as you say.

- They both don't live in the US? So what? Three experienced persons could finish this game in 6 months - ANYWHERE

- Carmack and Romero would get SO much publicity AND money with this....   it would finance their current project and also push it more than anything else could!    WinWin for everyone.      Especially for the players ; )

1. Yes? And? They have shown us a concept and a name. That's it. I know they rekindled their friendship, but until something concrete comes out, it's all just a bunch of air. Especially with Romero, as good a designer as he is (or rather can be).

2. You misunderstand me. Romero loves classic DOOM, yes, but if you watch, read or listen to his interviews, whenever the question of "What would your DOOM 3 look like?" he usually always responds with a "I wouldn't have made a DOOM 3, I wouldn't want to make a DOOM 3, I would have moved onto something else." Hence why he got upset that Quake played too similar to DOOM instead of his more original action RPG vision, and left id Software after its release.

Also, as far I can tell, Adrian is not on good terms with id Software, it was not a happy ending for him.

3. Again, that's not how it works. Romero can't just say "Hey Bethesda, let me make a DOOM game that looks like it belongs in 1994!" He made those DOOM levels as warm ups for his new game. Nothing more. Nothing less.

4. I didn't realize you had a crystal ball.

To me Doom 3 was at it's best when more than 2 types of enemies were attacking you, so if i were to change Doom 3 it would be to have more enemies (and with a more varied types), and to change the level design for a less linear one (and less claustrophobic) , Doom 3 biggest flaw it's that you go to the next room, encounter a couple of few imps, or other monsters (with few variety), kill them, then move on for the next ambush in a linear path....

3 hours ago, Doohnibor said:

• Engine based on the original DOOM II engine with a few modern enhancements. (...for example Rooms above Rooms etc.)
  • 2 fun new weapons

THATS IT!   

Basically just what DOOM III would have looked like if it had been released in 95

let's start a community project on it :) 

1 hour ago, CzechMate29200 said:

let's start a community project on it :) 

... it never would be the same.

..... and I guess it has been tried/done numerous times already ; )

3 hours ago, Doohnibor said:

• 2 fun new weapons

THATS IT!   

Isn't there a mod that is something like this? I don't remeber the name of it, but it has Doom 3-like environments with dozens of enemies at any one time.

22 hours ago, cyan0s1s said:

I hate how you have to practically see the whites of the monsters' eyes just for the shotgun to hit them otherwise it has an abhorrent spread.

Shotgun spread in games is so absurdly overdone.  At twenty yards, 00 buckshot will have a spread of a little over a foot or so when using a standard barrel with no choke.

The Doom SSG has somewhat of a larger spread pattern than that.

8 hours ago, KVELLER said:

Isn't there a mod that is something like this? I don't remeber the name of it, but it has Doom 3-like environments with dozens of enemies at any one time.

As mentioned already, there are practically tons of candidates that already did something like the stuff mentioned on the list.

The KEY difference is that the new content wasn't created by A. Carmack and Romero.

Those are in my opinion the only two people who could create a REAL oldschool DOOM III.

Adrian Carmacks style is still unmatched and Romeros Level Design has got that timeless original feeling written all over it. Playing his recent Maps felt like going back in a timemachine.   

Imagining a new full game done by those two guys....  new Boss, new Weapons, new Monsters, new Powerups makes me drool ; )

19 hours ago, Megalyth said:

The world, yes, but not so much the weapons.

I thought the game was perfect as it is, well Singleplayer at least, but it gets repetitive and the levels feel the same, More level themes and more ways to play them could've helped the replayability value of the SP Campaign.

8 hours ago, Doohnibor said:

Imagining a new full game done by those two guys....  new Boss, new Weapons, new Monsters, new Powerups makes me drool ; )

Are you thirteen?