Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NeedHealth

Mozilla Firefox suddenly resource hog

6 hours ago, dew said:

Don't give in to the beast with billion eyes! If anything, move to Pale Moon!

Pale Moon is literally the worst choice given that they've intentionally stuck to being based on a 3-year-old Firefox release.

2 hours ago, chungy said:

Pale Moon is literally the worst choice given that they've intentionally stuck to being based on a 3-year-old Firefox release.

The way I understand it, they forked Firefox at that point when Mozilla decided to start ditching XUL, fully customizable UI and overly permissive addons altogether. What's wrong with that? The way I understand it, they continue to integrate code from mainsteam FF without sacrificing the original goals. What's wrong with that? The way I understand it, they show more effort to distance themselves from the overarching Google dictatorship that shits all over people's privacy that Mozilla partially colludes with. What's wrong with that?

Educate me, sensei.

3 hours ago, dew said:

What's wrong with that?

Because security in web browsers is a huge problem, and Google and Mozilla can barely keep up as is.  If you're going to use a privacy-focused browser, use one that actually keeps up with upstream, and doesn't keep the flame alive for dying, unmaintained, insecure ecosystems like XUL and NPAPI.

Also, irony of ironies, I visited Pale Moon's homepage and found Google Doubleclick advertising URL's in my network inspector tab.  Turning on my ad-blocker made a big red banner appear at the top of the page begging me to turn it off.  🤷

AlexMax nailed it. Security is basically non-existent in Pale Moon. If you disable JavaScript you're probably safe from 95% of exploits, but you never know what kind of buffer overflows exist in the JPEG codec or whatever that Mozilla may have patched years later but the issue lurks in Pale Moon.

32 minutes ago, AlexMax said:

Also, irony of ironies, I visited Pale Moon's homepage and found Google Doubleclick advertising URL's in my network inspector tab.  Turning on my ad-blocker made a big red banner appear at the top of the page begging me to turn it off.  🤷

Ouch. Major red flag.

Huh. I've been using Pale Moon for, I don't know, a year or two (maybe?) and I've never had any issues with it.

Firefox continually takes away more and more freedom to just use your software and browse the way YOU want to, in the so-called name of security. This is especially true with the so-called content "security" policy bullshit which can stop you from modifying a page for accessibility needs, for example. It's like DRM for HTML, slowly being wedged into place one bit at a time. I'd be all fine and good with it being the *default* behavior, but when you cannot override it when you need to, that's just bullshit, and I get fucking sick and tired of hearing them whine about how the inescapable restrictions are for my "protection."

Went from Firefox to Chrome and now Opera and honestly Opera is much much better than either 

14 minutes ago, Red said:

Went from Firefox to Chrome and now Opera and honestly Opera is much much better than either 

If you like Opera, its designers started the Vivaldi project after the Chinese buyout.

I use Waterfox on my personal computer. It's FireFox, but without the bloat. I've had very little issues with it.

Though: I think that in this age of dynamic and interactive webdesign, it's unrealistic to expect a browser to run all that crap with just a couple of MB of memory.

Could be secret scripts designed to mine for bitcoin using your computer. CBS and others have had those things.

Firefox has preformed much better for me since the multi-process update. however it frustrates me how many add-ons still have not moved to the new add-on system. any older plugin turns of the multi-process feature.

1 hour ago, Synndra said:

Firefox has preformed much better for me since the multi-process update. however it frustrates me how many add-ons still have not moved to the new add-on system. any older plugin turns of the multi-process feature.

As a long-time user of NoScript, I hope this happens soon.  I suspect it is beginning to cause memory usage problems with certain newer web features.  Maybe it's time to find a replacement...uh...everything.

1 hour ago, Psyrus said:

As a long-time user of NoScript, I hope this happens soon.  I suspect it is beginning to cause memory usage problems with certain newer web features.  Maybe it's time to find a replacement...uh...everything.

I'm at a crossroads with my browser choice I dislike all of them. I just dislike Firefox the least.

Chrome is just not customisable enough for me.

Microsoft Edge is most certainly in its infancy and needs work (not bad though)

Opera is good but I want better theme options

Vivaldi feels clunky and slow (yet has very good looks and features)

Firefox feels far slower than chrome.