Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

Eagle Speedmapping Sessions 5 - Total Silence [PRE-RELEASE READY]

2 hours ago, Breezeep said:

It wasn't a sky transfer issue. It's just because you didn't include that sky texture in the wad. Also, I noticed that the custom plutonia switch texture was screwed up.

No, I most certainly did friend. It's just that somehow, I don't really know how, your patch names or whatever didn't match up with your actual textures. The only other time I have encountered something like this was when I first tried importing custom textures, and I remember back then what happened as a result and the exact same thing happened here. When the patch names or whatever don't match up with their textures, it'll work in your own map, but they don't mix well. Trying to import them to the full wad didn't break them, it just changed their patch names, which in turn caused... most of your map to be untextured, since it was all using the wrong name.

I tried lots of things, including copying and pasting the entries from your PNAMES to the one in the compiled wad, but not even that worked. Eventually I gave up, and did what I knew I inevitably would have to do. I had to manually edit the trouble-making textures to have the correct name ;~;

So yeah, your sky is in there, it's just called "sky1" now. About the bricks as the sky, that was just something that kinda happened as a side-effect of me trying to import the textures. I don't really know how.

About the switch, what exactly is wrong with it? Does it not animate? the switch is cursed

edit: wow i'm a dick

Edited by bonnie

I think you have the animation backwards?

Something for EVERYONE to think about:

"I noticed while playing through the levels that X issue arose" will get you a lot further than saying, "You fucked X and Y up." 

6 minutes ago, everennui said:

I think you have the animation backwards?

Well you actually have to put them in backwards, if you're referring to what you see in SLADE or whatever. You have to put the first texture under last and the last one under first. Same with the switches, you put the on frame under off and vice versa.

If you mean they are literally playing backwards then...

frick

edit: gimme an example then ya walnut

i attempted to fix the switch

all i did was rename it and remove its old patches

this was the result: 

Spoiler

doom00.png.bc5b84eea4491b8dfcbdc4f9dc2b9a92.pngdoom01.png.9e0ef56fbf7b916c573646754c90664b.png

sorry to say but your map is literally cursed

i recommend leaving the map as is for now until someone better with textures can fix it (also call a priest)

edit: 

@DoomLover234 I just realized some of the other custom switches weren't animating so I fixed that. I have a quick question though: I know there isn't much point in balancing for continuous, but map02 has a LOT of rockets at the end, and you really don't need more than 10 or so rockets for that part anyways, so you just kinda have 100 rockets for the next several maps, which really hecks up continuous

could you perhaps consider removing a lot of those rockets? also, i still feel like my map could totally be map02 ;~;

but that's your decision, so you can do whatever you see fit

i'm a fucking douchebag holy shit read my words and use them to learn to not be a fucking idiot who speaks before he thinks

i'm sorry @Surreily, i actually quite like your map ;~;

anyways here's the fixed switches (not for map01 though) (also i'm still playing through the wad, so I might have more updates soon): eagles05_v2.zip

(i also fixed the txt file c:)

Edited by bonnie

Fair point there - but I think it's not really polite of us to talk about it when it's @Surreily's map. He's the man that gives us the green light :)

As for your map being MAP02, I do find it tougher than Surreily's map as you included a Pain Elemental :P also your map is very tricky with lots of ambushes and constant ammo drainage so I thought Surreily's map was a tad bit easier. If you have any other issues with the map order, feel free to say so. I don't bite.

1 hour ago, bonnie said:

i attempted to fix the switch

all i did was rename it and remove its old patches

this was the result: 

Reveal hidden contents

doom00.png.bc5b84eea4491b8dfcbdc4f9dc2b9a92.pngdoom01.png.9e0ef56fbf7b916c573646754c90664b.png

sorry to say but your map is literally cursed

i recommend leaving the map as is for now until someone better with textures can fix it (also call a priest)

Well then, since you can't fix texture related issues in the compilation, I decided to fix the thing myself:

eagles05_v2a.wad

I fixed the missing sky and unfucked the switches in my map. You can thank me later.

I'm down, I like the solution! It'll also ease the job for Suitepee so he doesn't need to idclev03 since he's already pistol starting #badhumor 

I'll add it now then

@Surreily you are literally the coolest cat

@DoomLover234 speaking of this map, there appears to be a lone revenant out of bounds right next to player spawn, if you or @Surreily want to fix that (if it hasn't been fixed), i'm sure the trillions of people wanting to speedrun uv-max this wad will appreciate it

unless i'm just stupid and my everything is broken

Edited by bonnie : i forgot how mentions work

Sorry guys, but I just forgot ... I hope at least next time my holey head will not let me down.
All the time I'm amazed at how good the maps are coming from the participants, especially in terms of gameplay. I can not keep up with you.

I made a one-hour run through the wad. A good warm-up for the early morning:

Doom_Font_Green_Arrow.pngFirst Demo Attempt ~ 1 hour, GZDoom 2.4.0

I've played the first 4 levels:

1 - Very good with a strong plutonia feel. I loved how everything felt interconnected and the height variations helped creating some nice setups. The only downside was the blank sky haha

2 - Not really much fan of this gameplay style, but the level was very nicely done. I did nothing bar running in circles in the last battle, though.

3 - Fun map, although that popup in the exit killed me in the first try lol I wasn't very fan of that "lava cracter" in the middle though. It is too small for me to realize I could fall there, but no big deal.

4 - Didn't like this. I had to use saves everytime because of the annoying plataforming, then the battle inside was boring.

Levels 5 to 8. On overall note, I didn't find any armor on all of them >.>

5 - Awesome music! :D The level itself is quite simple in architecture and layout, but I got killed several times by the rev + arch trap and the teleporting one in the end haha

6 - Very frantic start, cool! This doesn't feel a speed map, lots of texture variation and big open sky. I found the soulsphere secret very useful. The last trap with the 3 barons + arch killed me twice haha Nice setup with nice distraction. Wasn't expecting the archville in the first time and got myself killed by the rocket launcher in the second lol

7 - Quite big level, with a strong start and an epic mini-slaughter battle in the end. Very fun level. Interesting texture set too.

8 - Small level where you need to press 4 (?) switches to get access to the YK. The start is strong and there's a lot of hitscanners (especially zombieman). It was quite rewarding to kill the ones aligned in the stairs. I was expecting the 4 archvilles in the end, but still got myself killed >.>

Oh, I see @DoomLover234, sorry about this then =x

Anyway, the rest of the set:

9 - Didn't like this. The start is way too tough for me and it seems there's some kinda of puzzle here, but I wasn't able to go back and go through the HK barrage after I went outside and pressed some switches with an arch-ville camping lol

10 - Another cave-like level, very fun, with somewhat tough start too, but much more managable lol The lock-in ambush was actually beautifully done. Normally the player would go after the arch-ville first, but the imps were eating so much space that I focused on them first, and so the arch got so busy ressurecting the fodder that I could get rid of him. I actually thought I wouldn't survive there haha

11 - Another fun level, that "water" room was very cool, nice ambush in the end too, got myself almost killed lol

12 - Very nice visuals and layout D: I'm surprised this is a speed map haha It was too hard for me though, and I was starving badly for more health haha

I did record a playthrough of these levels, but they are with saves and I messed up things several times, so I don't think they'll be fun to watch =x

I did casual maxes for some maps. I think I'll gradually do them all. This session is quite a marked improvement in quality and consistency from previous ones, with a large turnout too. Hopefully that's a sign of good to come. 07 was my favorite map, I think.

Here are some videos for 02, 03, and 09. In 02 apparently the revenant you teleport on doesn't die, possibly because the death exit sequence is triggered so quickly.

Spoiler

Edited by rdwpa

Holy moly, thanks for the MAP02 bug. I thought it'd telefrag them all but it doesn't. For the /idgmaes release I'll move the revenant to the lowering pillar.

Here are 01, 04, 05, 06, and 08.

I thought I'd dislike 04 without saves but it was surprisingly exhilarating. It took several tries to get up the structure, which made the last fight a lot more exciting than it'd be in a typical map (accidentally picked up lots of ammo boxes here and ran out, but that made the ending quite entertaining :P).

Spoiler

Edited by rdwpa

@rdwpa Thanks for those videos!

About that one revenant: yeah, he's not even supposed to be there. I think he popped up as I was trying to get the death exit working properly. I've uploaded a new version (it's literally the same thing minus that revenant). @DoomLover234, If you could include this in the idgames release (unless you've already submitted it), that would be great. Thanks in advance!

http://surreily.com/doom/ess/005/surreily.wad

Edit: @DoomLover234, I just saw your post regarding the revenant, I should probably read things more before posting. No need to download + import my map, you can just delete him :)

On 8/16/2017 at 3:23 AM, Surreily said:

@rdwpa Thanks for those videos!

About that one revenant: yeah, he's not even supposed to be there. I think he popped up as I was trying to get the death exit working properly. I've uploaded a new version (it's literally the same thing minus that revenant). @DoomLover234, If you could include this in the idgames release (unless you've already submitted it), that would be great. Thanks in advance!

http://surreily.com/doom/ess/005/surreily.wad

Edit: @DoomLover234, I just saw your post regarding the revenant, I should probably read things more before posting. No need to download + import my map, you can just delete him :)

Tried to play this with ZDoom. Under that Revenant was a Player 1 start, so I started in the exit room on top of the Icon. Backed up and finished the map. Interesting. Never knew you couldn't have an immediate death exit at start. Saw the smiley face; thought it was a joke map.

10 hours ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

Tried to play this with ZDoom. Under that Revenant was a Player 1 start, so I started in the exit room on top of the Icon. Backed up and finished the map. Interesting. Never knew you couldn't have an immediate death exit at start. Saw the smiley face; thought it was a joke map.

Okay, fixed it, thanks for letting me know. Don't know why GZDB swapped the two player starts, I certainly didn't. I guess that's just what I get for not testing :)

You can download it again here (all I did was swap the 2 player starts), but I think @DoomLover234 has already handled it for the final release.

Is there going to be a session tomorrow?

I'm asking because normally we get a thread almost 2 weeks in advance and I haven't seen one this time.

Nah, it was moved to 9th September because of timing problems. There was a Discord talk between me and bzzrak

After some revisiting, I've stumbled upon a big compilation bug. Casually playing thru MAP01, @Breezeep's map, there were a lot of weirdly positioned skull switches. I've checked all compilations available, and the submission itself, and it turns out that the switch texture was actually changed after the submission (likely because of some compilation issue) in the very first compilation of the WAD which lead to positioning issues. Later when I checked the finished compilation myself (I didn't compile the WAD that time), I didn't notice it.

There is also a lot of errors with custom switches, particularly MAP05. I think switches were changed there too.

Gonna have to fix that lot of issues, and send this one to /idgames yet again.