Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Idiotinfrontofadesk

So what do people use that allow them to load multiple wads into one game? [SOLVED]

I've seen so many video where people are looking at WADs or Mods only to load a crap ton of wads into one game at the end, but i've never been able to find anything like it. Do people just make maps in DOOM Builder with all the wads in? 

Edited by Idiotinforntofadesk

It's either
A) a frontend launcher (ZDL)
B) command line approach (cmd.exe)
C) a batch file (runs written commands automatically)
D) drag-and-drop multiple files

5 minutes ago, Voros said:

It's either
A) a frontend launcher (ZDL)
B) command line approach (cmd.exe)
D) drag-and-drop multiple files

But is ZDL an acronym for ZDOOM Launcher or is it just called ZDL

14 minutes ago, Idiotinforntofadesk said:

ZDOOM Launcher?

Zdl.png

If you are thinking on this one then yes, many players tends to use this thing because it's small and simple as a launcher for a old game should be, then there's QZDL which enhances this one but... it starts to look like a MMO Launcher, beyond that people often ignores because the purpose starts to get covered in too many other features nobody wants.

As second option there's the people who uses command line and the third option is the batch file and right in the last picture of the expanding brain, there's the people who drag and drop everything in the executable.

EDIT: For me the "ZDL" term means ZDoom Launcher as well, but who knows what Biohazard was thinking when he made it, it can be some obscure thing like the "G" in front of GZDoom that Graf said it is not the G of Open'G'L or neither the G of 'G'raf.

Just now, Zanieon said:

Zdl.png

If you are thinking on this one then yes, many players tends to use this thing because it's small and simple as a launcher for a old game should be, then there's QZDL which enhances this one but... it starts to look like a MMO Launcher, beyond that people often ignores because the purpose starts to get covered in too many other features nobody wants.

As second option there's the people who uses command line and the third option is the batch file and right in the last picture of the expanding brain, there's the people who drag and drop everything in the executable.

That explains it well. Thanks!

I just select the files and do the "drag and drop" or copy/paste method.

Doom-explorer has the advantage that it is capable of detecting Beta-releases, hence launching the proper executable (for Zandronum that is). I see a lot of people connecting to my servers with the 2.1.2-version, resulting in a disconnect, because they use the wrong version. The frontend that they use seems not to be capable of such feature.

In the last months and with the widespread of the use of Beta-versions, Doom-Explorer seems the best option to launch yer games (Zandronum again).

11 hours ago, Voros said:

That's what I do, and in a .bat file you can quite easily build a little menu with multiple choices.

Explanations here : https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/78083-batch-files-create-menu-execute-commands.html

Sample menu from my little project : (image attached)

ROSS.jpg

Here's the code :

Spoiler

@echo off
mode con cols=27 lines=25
COLOR 0F

:menu
cls
cd .\
echo.
echo.   ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ»
echo.  ɼ ___  ___  ___ ___ È»
echo.  º ^| _ \/ _ \/ __/ __^| º
echo.  º ^|   / (_) \__ \__ \ º
echo.  º ^|_^|_\\___/^|___/___/ º
echo.  º ultimate revelation º
echo.  ÈËÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ˼
echo.  ɹ 1 eternal torture Ì»
echo.  ºÈÍËÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍË˼º
echo.  ÌÍ˹ 2 switcheroom ÌÊ˹
echo.  ºÉÊÊÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÊ»ºº
echo.  ̹ 3 wonderful doom Ìʹ
echo.  ºÈËÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÊ»º
echo.  Ì˹ random SLIGE.WAD ̹
echo.  ̼ÈËÍÍÍÍÍÍÍËÍÍÍÍÍÍÍË˼º
echo.  ÌË͹ 4 new º 5 old ÌÊ˹
echo.  ̼ÉÊÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÊÍÍÍÍÍÍ˼ɼº
echo.  Ì͹ 8 information ÌËÊ˹
echo.  ºÉÊÍÍÍÍÍÍÍËÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÊÊ»ºº
echo.  ȹ 9 quit º 0 setup Ìʼ
echo.   ÈËÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÊÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ
echo.    º
set /p m=ÍÍÍͼ Choice (0-9) :
if %m% == 4 goto slige
if %m% == 5 goto replay
if %m% == 1 goto et
if %m% == 2 goto switch
if %m% == 3 goto freedoom
if %m% == 8 goto info
if %m% == 0 goto setup
if %m% == 9 goto end
if %m% == BB goto build
goto menu

:slige
cls
cd .\slige\
echo.
echo. SLIGE RUNNING
echo.
echo. Parameters :
echo. - 32(+4) 7-room maps
echo. - some blue areas
echo.
slige SLIGE.WAD -v -levels 32 -rooms 7 -config BLUE.CFG
echo.
cd ..\ZenNode-1.2.1\
echo.
echo. ZENNODE RUNNING
echo.
ZenNode.exe ..\slige\SLIGE.WAD -o ..\slige\SLIGE.WAD
echo.
cd ..\chocolate-doom-2.3.0-win32\
echo.
echo. CHOCOLATE DOOM RUNNING
echo.
chocolate-doom.exe -iwad ..\freedoom-0.11.2\freedoom1.wad -merge ..\slige\SLIGE.WAD
cd ..
GOTO MENU

:replay
cd .\chocolate-doom-2.3.0-win32\
chocolate-doom.exe -iwad ..\freedoom-0.11.2\freedoom1.wad -merge  ..\slige\SLIGE.WAD
cd ..
GOTO MENU

:switch
chocolate-doom.exe -iwad ..\freedoom-0.11.2\freedoom1.wad -merge ..\swtchrm\swtchrm.wad -deh ..\swtchrm\swtchrm.deh
cd ..
GOTO MENU

:et
chocolate-doom.exe -iwad ..\freedoom-0.11.2\freedoom1.wad -merge ..\et\et.wad
cd ..
GOTO MENU

:freedoom
chocolate-doom.exe -iwad ..\freedoom-0.11.2\freedoom1.wad
cd ..
GOTO MENU

:setup
chocolate-doom-setup.exe
cd ..
GOTO MENU

:info
start ultimate.htm
GOTO MENU

:build
cls
echo.
cd .\ZenNode-1.2.1\
echo.
echo. FUSING FREEDOOM AND WONDERFUL DOOM 1.3 WITH ZENNODE
echo.
ZenNode.exe ..\freedoom-0.11.2\freedoom1.wad+..\freedoom-0.11.2\wd13.wad -o ..\freedoom-0.11.2\freedoom1.wad
cd ..\chocolate-doom-2.3.0-win32\
chocolate-doom.exe -iwad ..\freedoom-0.11.2\freedoom1.wad
cd ..
GOTO MENU

:end

Edited by soner du

31 minutes ago, Voros said:

Nice. May I ask why you're using Freedoom instead of Doom?

That's because I put those packages online, so I only include open source (or freely useable) material.

The project is about publishing small-size packages (about 12 MB zipped) to play free doom stuff. Latest published (last year) "beta" versions :

- ROSS (based on Freedom phase 2 and crispy doom) : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8B6JH_5YJHDMFZXUEc2ZzZLWUU/view?usp=sharing

- Ultimate ROSS (based on Freedoom phase 1 and chocolate doom) : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8B6JH_5YJHDWEZCNWVidHdPT0U/view?usp=sharing

(one day I'll put them on a nice webpage, and I work on improved versions)

Also, I like the Freedoom project, especially with the newer sprites (the blue tentacled caco, the patchwork baron, etc.).

Edited by soner du

Yall complicating it too much. Control button, choose which wads, drag'n'drop onto a executable, preferable a shortcut made beforehand on the desktop or somewhere.

I have one folder filled with all my source port executable short cuts, and another folder with everything else doom related, so I just drag'n'drop stuff from the "main" folder(the one with the rest of the doom stuff) onto one of the shortcuts from the shortcut folder, and bam, done.

If you're using windows there is Doom Launcher. It will remember everything including other files launched with the wad, screenshots, demos, and statistics. Id games integration too.