Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rtoast

word is out :( NO COOP in DOOM III!?

Just watched the gamespot Todd Hollenshead interview, and he says no coop. . .

OMG! Such a vital part of DOOM for many. . . no more

what a bummer, I hope to god they change their minds

nah, this news is too important, it needed its own thread.

its like finding out that DOOM won't have guns or somethin ya know. Or that it wouldn't have multiplayer/deathmatch support. you'd just need to have a thread about it.

This doesn't surprise me. But I hope that they'll make a mission pack later, which has coop - an MP with focus on Coop would be nice imo.

I think your right! I'm gonna e-mail them and urge them to re-consider.

Maybe we can make a difference if they know enough people want it.

That's life guys...ID said from the beginning that it was going to be designed from the ground up with single player in mind. After reading a few updates from QuakeCon I'm sure that we'll see mods that will support this after Doom III is released. I just can't wait to start editing for that puppy!!

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

I can imagine great ways to make a coop specific campaign, which actually has a story line going along.

Someone should definitely try and do a mod, designed specifically with a coop story in mind. Imagine a squad of marines getting somehow seperated from eachother inside a demon-infested installation of some sort and the first objective would be to find the other players at a specified rally point - after that it would be coop gameplay. And the coop mod should have different classes so that one class has certain abilities that the other classes don't.

Man, if done right I think it could be really awesome.

Rtoast said:

I think your right! I'm gonna e-mail them and urge them to re-consider.

Maybe we can make a difference if they know enough people want it.

U do that, although u will get zero replies and will just annoy the id guys, but suit yourself! :)

dsm said:

I can imagine great ways to make a coop specific campaign, which actually has a story line going along.

Someone should definitely try and do a mod, designed specifically with a coop story in mind...
Man, if done right I think it could be really awesome.

yup, i cried about coop for about five minutes, but this is exactly what the mod community is for, folks! I bet a coop mod will be out before the game's half a year old.

I'm sure there will be a mod for co-op, but I doubt id will ever make a co-op mode for Doom 3, even as an add-on. It worked for the first two Doom titles because there weren't any elements you could "break" in the level design by having more than one player.

Doom 3 will have numerous scripted events, and those can cause problems. You can't have a passageway collapse behind you (what if other players are behind you and get cut off?). Cinematics wouldn't work properly, since they make assumptions about there being only one player in a specific location (if the cinematics use the active game world, what happens if a co-op player is blocking the route of a character?). Things like that.

id is trying to go for quality in a specific aspect of the game rather than succumbing to featuritis and including everything you could possibly think of. That's how we get games with 5 hours of total single-player play and all kinds of multiplayer modes that don't actually get used (i.e. Elite Force). If you try to please absolutely everybody, you end up giving everyone a mediocre effort.

Someone could go the way of the Deus Ex Coop mod, and simply take some of the missions straight from the single player game and modify them so they work better in a cooperative game. If that's possible and legal and everything.

Fiddlesticks. Its not technically legal but theyll get away with it (bless their souls whoever does it)

Actually, I reckon the best way is the way that NOLF2 is sposed to do it, If you want co-op there is an episode designed strictly for co-op, an excellent Idea, I reckon. Maybe if once they get the main work of the sigle player game, they may do that, who knows.