Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Halfblind

Responsive Decoration Sprites

This is just a hypothetical topic and nothing else. I do not need to know exactly how to do it just that it can or cannot be done. If it can be done the basic fundamentals of why it can be done would be very helpful.

That being said I want to know if you can script decoration sprite so that they can be responsive to the player. In other words can a decoration sprite be triggered to activate its animation frames when the player approaches it, specially within a given radius? The idea came from playing Unreal Championship 2 when the health items expand when the player approaches them. I think this would be rather cool if someone could pull this effect off in Doom. So can this be done or not?

It depends on the source port you want to use. This can be done using DECORATE and/or ACS in Q/G/ZDooM. For example, a decorative object (such as a flame) can cause damage to an actor that gets within a defined radius.

Mor'Ladim's Prop Pack has interactive decorations, and from the video in the first post, it looks like it has items that activate as the player approaches. These props are for Heretic, not Doom, but the Decorate and/or ACS code is the same regardless.

In vanilla compatible DEHACKED, a decorative thing that does something if the player approaches it could be implemented with the use of A_Look + A_Chase + a melee attack state. The effective radius cannot be customized, though, it would have to be only 60 map units from the thing's center to the player's center, the engine's universal melee range.