Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
swivelmaster

Castle - My first WAD, looking for feedback before I release

Hey everyone, I've decided to finally fulfill a lifelong dream of completing and releasing a Doom map.

It's a vanilla Doom 2 wad - no new textures or anything, just good clean Doom 2 fun.

You can download it here:

http://www.nemo10.net/doom/CASTLE.WAD

Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Overview image and screenshots below:

Spoiler

Some images...

whPomFH.png

OuCNkQ9.png

yoJiWA2.png

0ZdZzg4.png

36DBVta.png

4alkZrF.png

edited to add bonus: Original level sketch!

Edited by swivelmaster

The hanging body thing sounds like it is an issue for vanilla/Boom because in ZDoom/GZDoom, by default there isn't Z height restriction on things. My suggestion would be changing it to a non-blocking hanging torso.

Just played your map and I enjoyed it. It was a fun Hell themed level (reminded me of Doom's E3, if it weren't for the Doom 2 enemies) and quite challenging at times. I found 6/7 secrets and they were well hidden with some reasonable clues left behind for the player to find them. The monster encounters were good and the chaingunners at one point really got me, the first time I faced them (I wasn't expecting that trap).

Overall, I liked your map and for a first wad I find it to be a really good start (heck, even if it was not your first wad, I still think it is good).

19 hours ago, Maisth said:

Its not a Castle though

At some point I'll rename it to something else. Not that it matters much :)

The original idea was 'three castles' but getting the exteriors to look right is really time consuming.

On 7/23/2017 at 11:02 AM, DoodGuy said:

the hanging body blocks this passage, not sure if it's on purpose or not

Screenshot_2017-07-23-19-59-47-1.png

Ah, this isn't blocking in gzdoom and I didn't realize it would be a problem elsewhere. I'll change it to something else. Thanks!

On 7/23/2017 at 0:46 PM, ShotgunDemolition said:

Just played your map and I enjoyed it. It was a fun Hell themed level (reminded me of Doom's E3, if it weren't for the Doom 2 enemies) and quite challenging at times. I found 6/7 secrets and they were well hidden with some reasonable clues left behind for the player to find them. The monster encounters were good and the chaingunners at one point really got me, the first time I faced them (I wasn't expecting that trap).

Overall, I liked your map and for a first wad I find it to be a really good start (heck, even if it was not your first wad, I still think it is good).

Thanks for the feedback!

Any idea which secret you DIDN'T find? There's a specific one that even I forget about most of the time :) I tried to make most of them visible from elsewhere so it was clear that there was some way to get to them.

14 minutes ago, swivelmaster said:

Any idea which secret you DIDN'T find?

I am not sure. I am going to noclip the map later and tell you which ones I found. That way you can know about the one I didn't find.

I don't know if I'm doing this right, but I made an demo using Eternity's vanilla switch. I'll probably try this out without infinitely tall actors sometime, and do actual FDAs in the future.

edit: Here's an Eternity Engine demo, I quit because it was 3hard5me. I'll try save scumming, and if I have anything to say, I'll report back. 

Edited by PaquoCastor : Case issue, and a new demo.