• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CzechMate29200

Least Favourite Weapon?

???  

96 members have voted

1. 1. ??????

The plasma rifle! If it didn't have that atrocious sound, I would go with the pistol.

On the Unmaker, you actually have to treat it like a strange variation of the Railgun (That's the best way to describe it). With 2 or 3 Artifacts, it is way more powerful than any other weapon in the Doom 64 world besides the BFG, but you're right in that it chews through ammo rather quickly. However it can slice through even the Cyberdemon's health pool and giant monster hordes in open areas with relative ease.

As a fun fact, the Unmaker is useless on ordinary people and animals, because it only has an effect on those monsters that are from Hell (Including zombies)

As clunky as the Unmaker is though, it is still a much better alternative to Doom 64's Plasma Rifle variation, which is just awful weapon I pretty much never used. (I saved all the ammo for the BFG or the Unmaker laser)

1 minute ago, Ajora said:

With all three artifacts, the Unmaker is quite a bit more powerful than the BFG.

The Unmaker is OP...no doubt about that, more than the BFG

The fist can at least be berserked. Meanwhile, the pistol is just hogging ammo that the chaingun could be using. 

I never played 64 so I can't include the unmaker.

I dislike the Pistol the most although I'm sure I use fists the least. I find the pistol weak and slow to the extent that it's frustrating.

I'll have to go with Unberserked Fist, as I rarely ever use it. Needs to be replaced with a Dagger or something imo.

For me it's a tie between the regular fist and the berserk fist. However, the berserk fist slightly wins out so I'm gonna choose the regular fist.

Chainsaw. If I'm out of ammo, I think I'm more likely to get bit by a demon or punched by a revenant during a chainsaw kill than I am while delivering 50 punches in a row. Not to mention, chainsaw sound gets on my nerves.

How can you achieve the whole forum to hate you? Vote for Super Shotgun.

2 minutes ago, Spectra said:

How can you achieve the whole forum to hate you? Vote for Super Shotgun.

nah....shotgun

run

After the obvious ones are dropped from the list, the question gets quite interesting.

Let's remove Fist, Chainsaw and Pistol for a moment...    because they are so weak.....

Then, judging from what the poll results say by now, the BFG is the most disliked original DOOM weapon....  which is actually quite surprising since it is the "most powerful" one.

BTW: I also chose the BFG ; )

3 minutes ago, Doohnibor said:

After the obvious ones are dropped from the list, the question gets quite interesting.

Let's remove Fist, Chainsaw and Pistol for a moment...    because they are so weak.....

Then, judging from what the poll results say by now, the BFG is the most disliked original DOOM weapon....  which is actually quite surprising since it is the "most powerful" one.

BTW: I also chose the BFG ; )

But who could hate the BFG??

1. It's powerful.
  2. It rewards aggressive gameplay.
  3. It requires careful timing and positioning.
  4. It is simple enough to help even the worst players out of a bad situation.
  5. It is deep enough that even seasoned veterans continue to practice making the best use of each shot.
  6. There is no other gun like it in any other game (as far as I am aware, anyway).

Also, I don't think your analysis is quite fair... we'd have to see whether the BFG would still be "the most disliked original DOOM weapon" if the top three were not an option. Essentially, you've based a rather bold claim on the votes of 3 people.

1 hour ago, Pegg said:

Both shotguns suck but look flashy, fite me!

i'll fight you during recess, you better be there

Just now, 42PercentHealth said:

Also, I don't think your analysis is quite fair... we'd have to see whether the BFG would still be "the most disliked original DOOM weapon" if the top three were not an option. Essentially, you've based a rather bold claim on the votes of 3 people.

That's why I said "judging from what the poll results say by NOW"....         I agree. Another Poll would be quite interesting.

I personally don't like the BFG in most cases because I simply suck at using it and that results in frustration about wasting ammo which could have been used more effectively with the Plasma rifle....

But the REAL reason why I don't like it so much is that almost EVERY time some single frickin monster still stands ; )    All in all it's impact seems somehow quite unpredictable.    I just hate that.... and it's very unsatisfying.  I would even prefer if it used twice the amount of ammo...  but then REALLY cleans out the room... just like what it's supposed to ; )

I have very little clue as to why the pistol was put into the game in the first place. It's used a little bit in E1M1, but that's pretty much it. It's absolutely useless in 99.9% of situations. It should have at least been a magnum revolver or desert eagle which could take out monsters a lot quicker than this little 9mm they give you. 

13 hours ago, joepallai said:

Fist - requires a skill that I do not have (also patience at times)

Play a ZDoom port! You can knock out a pinky from 40 yards away. 

I try to make my maps pretty tight on ammo, but a great contention I've had with myself is how strict to be. Is it artificial difficultly? Is it fair? 

I haven't mapped for a while now. I got seriously burned out on it, but I honestly think switching between weapons is fun. Too many times do I find myself running around with an SSG taking down three imps at a time, thinking, "why are these even here?" Is it a power fantasy, or does the superfluous accumulation of meat validate me as a player. I aim to make ammo starvation fun again. Give me eight imps, a shotgun with eight shells and a fresh pistol over eight imps and an SSG with 8 shells any day.

The pistol is useless? See above. Most players can't be bothered to think. Mindless blasting does not a good Doom map make.

Addendum: Serious question.

Is rewarding a player for having good accuracy a good design choice? I mean, you don't have to kill all the monsters to exit the level. Also, it encourages exploring to hide ammo. It's more immersive to me. Isn't it a weird when a level just gives you everything?

Edited by everennui

16 minutes ago, stru said:

I have very little clue as to why the pistol was put into the game in the first place. It's used a little bit in E1M1, but that's pretty much it. It's absolutely useless in 99.9% of situations. It should have at least been a magnum revolver or desert eagle which could take out monsters a lot quicker than this little 9mm they give you. 

Because Doomguy is a government employee, and 9mm ammo is cheaper. Bureaucracy is always to blame... ;-)

Fist when not under berserk, the pistol used to be my least favorite weapon, but now i've started to realize it isn't useless, if used properly it can be effective, especially in taking down zombies to imps at long range, the fist on the other hand is only useful when you have the beserk powerup and the chainsaw isn't useless at all, you can stun-lock zombies to imps and demons and is useful when ammo is scarce.

3 minutes ago, everennui said:

The pistol is useless? See above. Most players can't be bothered to think. Mindless blasting does not a good Doom map make.

And that's considering that in map01 of Doom 2, pick up the chainsaw and forget the pistol instantly lol

Even though I finished Doom 64 some time ago out of curiosity, I don't remember pretty much anything from it as it was completely boring and uninteresting to me. So I have to ignore the Unmaker (don't think I even found it during my playthrough).

My vote goes to the normal fist. It is completely and I mean COMPLETELY useless once you get the chainsaw and is only used when completely out of ammo. I would try to progress by initiating infighting or try to find a crusher before trying anything with the fist.

Pistol at least gets the occasional use of saving a bullet or shooting a switch or a secret wall.

Fist makes me ouch a lot.