• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CzechMate29200

Least Favourite Weapon?

???  

96 members have voted

1. 1. ??????

Pistol/fist/chainsaw can be cool if you're specifically trying to play a map Tyson style. My personal least favorite is the single barrel shotgun. Not always a bad weapon, but it seems to be one of the most likely to give you crap RNG with the damage it deals, at least in my experience. (Imps will sometimes take 2 shots, even up close, Demons 3, etc.) The double-barreled shotgun, on the flip side, is a lot more powerful and one of my favorites.

Actually seeing how the pistol can 2-3 shot shotgunners -somewhat reliably- and 1-2 shot zombiemen it is a good alternative to the shotgun if you are more concerned with killing hitscanners quickly if they aren't lined up for easy killing (Until you get the chaingun or have to fight chaingunners).

Imps and pinkies are way easier to ignore than shotgunners\zombiemen and after you deal with those pests blast the stupid imps\pinkies with the shotgun.

Edit : Pistol only run grants an even greater hatred of shotgunners and amazingly develops one to pinkies, why the fuck are there +!0 pinkies in so many rooms! Also bless barrels, they save so much ammo lol.

Map02 in Doom 2 is harder than everything in doom 1.. always run out of ammo by the time I get to the 2 dark pits :(.

Edited by Pegg

26 minutes ago, Pegg said:

Map02 in Doom 2 is harder than everything in doom 1.. 

Are you serious? 

30 minutes ago, Pegg said:

always run out of ammo by the time I get to the 2 dark pits :(.

If I recall correctly, there's more ammo than the needed. The big amount of shotgunners leave you a lot of shells to use without care.

Just now, galileo31dos01 said:

Are you serious? 

If I recall correctly, there's more ammo than the needed. The big amount of shotgunners leave you a lot of shells to use without care.

I think he was talking about pistol-only runs.

I don't know why, but I've grown a bit of a liking to the pistol. I don't even use it often, but I find the Plasma Rifle to be my second least used weapon.

Just call me unpopular opinions man.

2 hours ago, Pegg said:

Edit : Pistol only run grants an even greater hatred of shotgunners and amazingly develops one to pinkies, why the fuck are there +!0 pinkies in so many rooms! Also bless barrels, they save so much ammo lol.

Map02 in Doom 2 is harder than everything in doom 1.. always run out of ammo by the time I get to the 2 dark pits :(.

I did some pistol/fist only in Doom 1 and the episode 1 is the hardest and that's not counting the episode 4...fuck that :D

Have you tried everything in map02 for clearing the map like infighting and such?

9 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

I did some pistol/fist only in Doom 1 and the episode 1 is the hardest and that's not counting the episode 4...fuck that :D

Have you tried everything in map02 for clearing the map like infighting and such?

Am gonna retry it again. I think I was tired from doing Doom 1 and playing carelessly :p. 

I've never been fond of the plasma gun. It's undeniably powerful and in open spaces I use it a lot, but it's the only weapon that irritates me. The plasma blobs obscure the screen at close range. The blobs are slow, so at longer ranges you have to lead the target - except that Doom's monsters tend to zig-zag towards you, so despite being stupid they're surprisingly hard to lead. Unlike the rocket launcher there's no splash damage, so near-misses are wasted. Autoaim often directs the blobs into a wall. The delay after you fire is jarring.

The design and concept are uninspired. Doom is all about fire and steel - the thing that made it stand out in 1993 was the use of projectile weapons, with bloody flesh wounds and bullets ripping through demon bodies. Doom stood out because other games had magic wands and generic sci-fi zap guns. The plasma rifle feels like an interloper.

Furthermore ammo is generally scarce enough to trigger my OCD. I get stuck in a loop whereby I fire a burst at a monster, check to see if it's dead, fire a shorter burst, check to see if it's dead, etc, so that I don't waste cells. The sound overwhelms everything else. I played shareware Doom to death so it still feels "new" compared to the other weapons.

This extends to Doom reboot as well. The new plasma rifle has some of the same problems - it fires slow blobs - and it's less powerful. Its alternate fire modes are a bit crap (a stun blast that's only useful against the shielded soldiers, and a small-scale local smart bomb) and overall I barely used it. In addition to all these problems the plasma rifle:

- is responsible for Britain's high train prices

- scratched my copy of Selected Ambient Works Vol 2

- is the reason why Mark Hollis retired from making music

- caused Deutsche Bank's share price to collapse

- refuses to implement much-needed economic reforms

- cancelled Pushing Daisies

The list is quite literally finite, but very long. Have you ever heard of Peyronie's disease? Google it. The plasma rifle is the cause of that as well.

Of the other weapons the pistol is more useful as a tool than a weapon - it can trip switches, and snipe barrels and weaker monsters from long distances. The ordinary fist is a complete waste of time but the berserk fist is awesome. I always play E1M2 through with just the berserk fist. There's something immensely gratifying about being able to punch a monster so hard it bursts open.

Bfg in my opinion.

Oh common, can kill every monster in one shot, (maybe it wouldn't kill the cyberdemon in one shot but it will damage it as well), and the player has 15 shots when at full amo.

This weapons makes the game very easy and unbalanced, even when players played with keyboard only.

Mmmmm... why the hell they did it this way??

If the bfg would do like 1500-2000 max and using 100 cell i would say it's kindda fair.

The shotgun is actually a really boring weapon since it takes too long to kill anything past a pinky and doesn't have enough crowd control for the weaker enemies and shotgun ammo is common enough to constantly use the SSG on individual zombiemen anyway.

Probably the chainsaw, ignoring an answer like the non-Berserk fist. It's fun and iconic enough to tempt you to use it, but it's super situational and even then can get you in trouble if enemies break through their pain chances. Unless you're faced with a line of Lost Souls in a narrow hallway or absolutely need to conserve ammo, there's always a more reliable option.