Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zoost

Quake 1 Mod with per pixel light

Waah, mummy, the shadows are too dark!

Seriously though, it looks pretty impressive. I especially like this one

The only thing letting it down are the low resolution textures and the crappy MDLs. Hopefully the author will add in support for high res textures and MD3 models (even MD2 would be better), then it should look a lot better :)

Cool..
I don't understand why id didn't used that kind of efects on Quake 3.

AIRmichael said:

Will it run on a voodoo 2? I dont think so, but it isnt hardware specific?

I don't know. Have you tried it yet? It runs on my Geforce 2MX!

Accoording to the website, if your card supports

GL_ARB_multitexture
GL_EXT_texture_env_combine
GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3
GL_ARB_texture_cube_map

It wil run..

Dude. That's pretty cool. The bumpmaps are crappy and the light placement isn't always 100% top-notch (but who can blame them) but this is a pretty cool taste of how some of these new graphics features really push up the graphic fidelity of a scene. It's especially cool when you get a Quad damage and light emits from you, so you see all the shadows from the monsters etc. up on the walls change as you move around.

It's also a good taste of how slow Doom III will run... Tenebrae gets a measly 10fps at 640x480 on my GeForce2MX :/

It runs quite well in 640x480 on my GF2 TI. So maybe I'll be able to play DOOM3 in 320x240... :P

I dont have:
GL_EXT_texture_env_combine
GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3
GL_ARB_texture_cube_map

Maybe my computer does:
// disable the cool effects:p
glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_3D);
glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_ARB);
glActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE2_ARB);
glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);
glActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE1_ARB);
glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);
glActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE2_ARB);
glDisable(GL_TEXUTURE_2D);

:p

Fredrik said:

Woah, get this now! Awesome! Especially you, dsm, because it removes all Quake's brownness!

Quake's brownness doesn't keep me from playing Quake :-P
I'll get it the next time I feel like playing Quake again.

Heh.. I tried the previous version of this port, wich didn't have bumpmap, and it was perfectly smooth on my system
{
AMD Duron 700@721
256 MB DDR RAM
32 MB ASUS V3800 Deluxe (RIVA TNT2 Ultra chipset)
};
But I can't run this version because when I try to launch it it tells me that my GPU doesn't support

GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3

:p

Strange. Flathead, I have a Geforce2MX, and it runs acceptably on my machine, okay I shouldn't go higher than 800x600 but it's not that bad, although, how did you find out what rate it was running at? is there a command in the console? (nevermind, just found it, sh_fps 1)heh, just ran it at 800x600 and when a few lights turned up it was around 17 or so, but in a level without lights it was pretty high(I expected that)(it ignores the bump-mapping until a light shows up) I'm gonna check in 640x480 in a sec, should be a little higher.
Actually, considering that it was running as slow as it was (15-20fps) I surprised I found it playable, so if my machine can run D3 at that rate and be playable, I'll not need a radeon9700......(AH! Who am I kidding....gimme 9700! GIMME):D

Also, the main problem with light placement, is well quake wasn't designed to support lighting like that (duh), I could of sworn though, that when I tried it before the bump-mapping, there was a program that could modify the levels for decent lighting, but all I could find was some stuff to make water transparent. Ah well, The sample level is enough to see what it can do (zoo.bsp in the id1\maps folder in the tenebrae directory) also as well as that, there is an easter egg as well, in the entrance to the nightmare skill hall, there was a button you shot and it said "the well of wishes awaits you in the crypt of decay", that now says "press D at the credits page" (thats when you press quit and when you have to choose Y/N) Hit D there, and well, I'll let you find that. I'll give ya a hint. Bathroom. :D
(Just in case you hadn't found them)

Also, to wrap it up, yeah the bump-maps as flathead said, are kinda lame, but with the effect they have on an old game like Quake, is stunning to say the least. I say add bump mapping to a Doom port now :D (heh)

The thing with Quake is, the levels were designed with precalculated lighting in mind, so in some places the designers just threw in half a dozen point lights to get just the type of lighting they wanted. And that was fine, because with lightmaps it doesn't matter to performace how many light sources there are. However, now that all the lights are casting stencil shadows, some areas get really slow. Zoo.bsp was much faster than Ziggurat Vertigo on my pc for that reason.

Lord Baztard, thanks for pointing out the cool easter egg. I'll put a screenshot up here for the people who can't play the mod:

Rofl, that's the greatest bathroom scene ever.

I'm not even going to bother downloading it with this voodoo3. If hellbent maybe sent me his geforce 2 like he said he would, maybe I could have played this.

/me bites and hangs on to hellbents right testical, swinging back and forth to diplay the power of rl.exe shadows.

Now if jDoom/jHeretic/jHexen would add this feature...

/me goes to change his pants

Then who needs Doom3? Yeah? um... nm...

Lord FlatHead said:

The thing with Quake is, the levels were designed with precalculated lighting in mind, so in some places the designers just threw in half a dozen point lights to get just the type of lighting they wanted. And that was fine, because with lightmaps it doesn't matter to performace how many light sources there are. However, now that all the lights are casting stencil shadows, some areas get really slow. Zoo.bsp was much faster than Ziggurat Vertigo on my pc for that reason.

Lord Baztard, thanks for pointing out the cool easter egg. I'll put a screenshot up here for the people who can't play the mod:

DON'T QUOTE IMAGES DUMBASS

Where is this button anyway? I never found the nightmare difficulty in Quake I :)

Dima said:

Where is this button anyway? I never found the nightmare difficulty in Quake I :)

Go trough the portal to the 4th episode, the one where you drop down into water. While you're in the water, swim to the side of the pool closest to where you came from, and drop down. You'll end up on a ledge - follow that and you'll find the button and the gate to Nightmare difficulty.

That "pinky" looks like a big stone block on that screenshot imo.

Lord FlatHead said:

Go trough the portal to the 4th episode, the one where you drop down into water. While you're in the water, swim to the side of the pool closest to where you came from, and drop down. You'll end up on a ledge - follow that and you'll find the button and the gate to Nightmare difficulty.

Alright, thx m8! :))

Very impressive stuff.
Even cooler than the shadows IMO is the fact that every lightsource (lights, rockets, grenades, rockets, lava rocks, etc.) puts a specular highlight on every surface, including weapons and monsters. Makes the bumpmapping look that much cooler:D
But yeah, all the E1 maps ran like shit on my GeForce2, but the rest of the game seems acceptable, albeit much darker.

DaJuice said:

Very impressive stuff.
Even cooler than the shadows IMO is the fact that every lightsource (lights, rockets, grenades, rockets, lava rocks, etc.) puts a specular highlight on every surface, including weapons and monsters. Makes the bumpmapping look that much cooler:D
But yeah, all the E1 maps ran like shit on my GeForce2, but the rest of the game seems acceptable, albeit much darker.

No kidding!

It runs while acceptable, pretty bad on my pc as well:

P4 2ghz
512mb RDRAM PC 800
GF4TI4600

The guy gets with GF4TI4200 33fps with update 1.01 on his P3 900 and I get less than that (I think) on my sys! :(

But like he said, it's very fill rate & GPU in general intensive, so I think the processor speed doens't make much difference here...

On a related note: Do u guys remember Kreed?

Well, I very recently downloaded that pre-alpha version wandering around the net and played with it. In it's so unoptimized condition, Kreed ran perfectly smooth for me (remember that it shares similar technologies with DOOM III, although the alghoritms the engine is based on are different).

BTW FlatHead, sorry for the image quoting, I just didn't notice he had an image there, no need to get upset about this! :P

sgtcrispy said:

hmm my geforce2 mx can't play it. Can it?

Uhm. Try get new drivers or something.

Sgt Crispy, I have a GeForce2Mx, and it works on my machine.
Also, while I'm at it, anybody know how that "fog effect" is done, like in the start map, that stained glass window, the window is projected on to the wall. with the smoke yellow smoke coming off it?
How is that done?

I have a GeForce 2 MX400 and it runs pretty crappy, but it's pretty cool to already have sort of a sneakpreview of what to expect from Doom III.. Too bad about the framerate though.

Best way to play this is to force anisotropic filtering (I cannot emphatize how important this is to correctly draw bumpmaps at medium-large distances) and FSAA. It's pretty acceptable if you run tenebrae with the -width 320 -height 240 -bpp 32 parameters.

With these settings it kinda looks like a trailer for a next gen game. AA in low resolutions look incredible.