Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Raheem

Are you a first or second generation Doomer and what makes you proud to be one?

I'm a second generation. In my opinion, Here is what makes me proud to be one

I get to outlive the first generation so i can make more WADS ;)

Didn't have to suffer through the shitty old ports at the start

(Very controversial one) I have a larger scope on my perspective of Doom then the OG's. Being a second generation, I've lived through the shift from old school to modern day gaming. All the modern day games have been marketed for my generation, meaning the second generation is more aligned to the modern outlook on video games then the old Gen. This allows me to compare and contrast Doom to my modern outlook, to see how much of a legendary influence it really has had. This allows me to appreciate Doom even more then OG's ever would.

I get to learn from interesting and knowledgeable people who were there since the beginning. I prefer the role of a student then a teacher, fresh learning is a pleasure in of itself. 

Okay OG'S its your turn, and i'd appreciate some support from my second gen brothers and sisters! 

2 minutes ago, GreenKat said:

I'm a second generation. In my opinion, Here is what makes me proud to be one

1. I get to outlive the first generation so i can make more WADS ;)
  2. Didn't have to suffer through the shitty old ports at the start
  3. (Very controversial one) I have a larger scope on my perspective of Doom then the OG's. Being a second generation, I've lived through the shift from old school to modern day gaming. All the modern day games have been marketed for my generation, meaning the second generation is more aligned to the modern outlook on video games then the old Gen. This allows me to compare and contrast Doom to my modern outlook, to see how much of a legendary influence it really has had. This allows me to appreciate Doom even more then OG's ever would.
  4. I get to learn from interesting and knowledgeable people who were their since the begging. I prefer the role of a student then a teacher, fresh learning is a pleasure in of itself. 

Okay OG'S its your turn, and i'd appreciate some support from my second gen brothers and sisters! 

Define first and second gen please.

Just now, leodoom85 said:

Define first and second gen please.

Certainily, sorry i guess i literally coined these terms for the sake of this post. 

First Generation of Doomers - there since the begging (1994) and where a ripe enough age to appreciate the game.

Second generation Doomers - The children of the First Gen i guess. Born around about the time of Dooms release or after. But werent of an age to appreciate doom critically. I was born in 1999 which makes me a second generation as both my parents were into doom. 

Young vs Old is my point lol. 

1 minute ago, GreenKat said:

Certainily, sorry i guess i literally coined these terms for the sake of this post. 

First Generation of Doomers - there since the begging (1994) and where a ripe enough age to appreciate the game.

Second generation Doomers - The children of the First Gen i guess. Born around about the time of Dooms release or after. But werent of an age to appreciate doom critically. I was born in 1999 which makes me a second generation as both my parents were into doom. 

Young vs Old is my point lol. 

I see. You needed to clarify that first. Have you played sourceports?. Console versions of Doom like SNES, 32X, PSX?

And to be honest, Doom doesn't need a "generation status" of the sort. Doom is still alive and kicking after almost 24 years. That's what matters.

By your description I should be in second generation, but my heart belongs to first generation and people who did amazing stuff for this old game before I was grown up and became young adult. They have my respect. 

Given that I'm 33 years old, and have been playing it since '94 and mapping since '94 or '95, I think that firmly places me in the First Generation of Doomers category :^)

While I certainly have different experiences because of that (dialup DM via a 28.8k modem, mapping in DEU 5.21 and earlier, running everything entirely from the command line), I'm not sure if it's really anything to be proud of.  It's just different.

I started in the console versions rather than the PC version but that was before 2000...and I supposed that I was in the first gen.

How is it considered a player who knows Doom from the 90s, played a bit on 1997-9, almost completely forgot about it throughout childhood and adolescence, did some ZDoom playing like 5 or 6 years ago, then returned on December last year to do exclusively vanilla and so on?

Have you played source ports?. Console versions of Doom like SNES, 32X, PSX?

Actually i fist experienced doom on PSX. Because that was the version my parents had and my love for Doom began their. My point to source ports is that because GZdoom and Zandroum has so many configurations and features, it just blows my mind to think people were playing on the vanilla which looks so archaic.  

Doom doesn't need a "generation status" of the sort. Doom is still alive and kicking after almost 24 years. That's what matters.

Ofcourse, any my response to that would be that its amazing how fresh blood like myself come back to an old game like this after 24 years when there is so many more modern games to play. Its interesting to discuss then what differences and similarities old timers and new guys think about Doom.

2 minutes ago, GreenKat said:

Actually i fist experienced doom on PSX

SNES for me...that version ftw :)

I got into Doom when it first came out and I was 8 years old, so definitely first generation. It's cool that there are actually children of Doomers who are Doomers now.

I'd consider myself first generation (I'm 35) though my time with Doom didn't really kick off until my family had their own PC which was around the time the source ports came out. I played it a little at a friend's house when it came out (I was 11 then), so that was my first actual exposure to it. Even when source ports did start coming out and my family had their own PC, I stubbornly stuck with DOS or Doom 95 because I didn't really know what source ports were (and any time I tried to run a WAD that required a source port in Doom 95 I was left thinking "WTF why ain't this working >:V").

It wasn't until I got my first ever PC in about 2002 or 2003 when I finally grasped what a source port was and started dabbling with that, starting with Doom Legacy, then Doomsday, then Risen3D before I got sucked into ZDoom and eventually GZDoom when it came out.

I've also had the console versions of Doom (namely SNES Doom, PSX Doom, PSX Final Doom, and Doom 64) in one form or another in my life.

4 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

How is it considered a player who knows Doom from the 90s, played a bit on 1997-9, almost completely forgot about it throughout childhood and adolescence, did some ZDoom playing like 5 or 6 years ago, then returned on December last year to do exclusively vanilla and so on?

Yhea that seems like a gray area actually. I suppose maybe those types experienced the sudden boom that Doom had when it came out with all the Doom clones for example - as Doom had a sudden big influence on the games they played. That kind of experience would separate them from a new generation gamer who never had that.

First generation for sure, been mapping and modding stuff since 1995-1996.

4 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

SNES for me...that version ftw :)

Did the Snes version have the same soundtrack as the PSX version? Because i refuse to play doom without the PSX soundtrack :D

Just now, GreenKat said:

Did the Snes version have the same soundtrack as the PSX version? Because i refuse to play doom without the PSX soundtrack :D

No, it has the same soundtrack as the original Doom (PC).

I played doom when it first came out, but I was a small child, so I don't really think I fit either of these categories.

Trying to group people into generations is pretty meaningless at the best of times, anyway.

I played doom a long time ago like in 2010 around that time but unfortunately it was a shitty knockoff version of MW2 so i did play doom but not the original way

Though the first time i played doom was Doom 64 i believe i was into Nintendo 64 in the time i was born

I was eight years old in 1993 when Doom first took the world by storm, been a fan ever since! So I guess I would be a first generation Doomer. I still have my original copy, plus Doom II, Final Doom, PSX Doom, Doom 64. And I really like Doom 3 and Doom 2016. After all this time Doom has held it's place in my heart.

2 minutes ago, Piper Maru said:

I was eight years old in 1993 when Doom first took the world by storm, been a fan ever since! So I guess I would be a first generation Doomer. I still have my original copy, plus Doom II, Final Doom, PSX Doom, Doom 64. And I really like Doom 3 and Doom 2016. After all this time Doom has held it's place in my heart.

Doom 4ever :P

First gen, born in '88. First time playing Doom 2 was in '94. Back then, I was totally scared by the Cacodemons, which are the cutest things in the world ever ;P

If I were going to be a father, I'll definitely try to make my kid into Doom.

32 minutes ago, Grain of Salt said:

Trying to group people into generations is pretty meaningless at the best of times, anyway.

That's not the aim here, its a discussion of experiences.

9 minutes ago, Piper Maru said:

Do you still have the PSX manuel? How much would you be willing to part for it? ;) (Just joking)

I think there's really probably more than two generations of Doom. I think 1st generation is probably 93/~95. Then windows Doom generation. Til about 97. Free Doom until late 98/99. GNU Doom til about 2003. ZDoom till probably 2009. GZDoom to present. These could probably be broken down into more. I'm not an expert in this by any means. These are just a few examples of events that I think should establish a new line on Doom's lineage.

I've been into Doom for quiet some time and played it whenever I could on a 386 around 94. Played it on windows 95. These were just a few times here and there on my uncles pc and he live an hour or so away. I played Doom on the SNES. That was my first copy of it that I owned. Then played a lot of ZDoom LAN in 99/00 til about 2003 when I moved again. My family got our first PC in 99. Doom then went on the back burner while MoH, Q3, Warcraft 2, AoE and Diablo 2 stole the spotlight. But Doom multiplayer was always a go to when there was more than two of us because craptops were our only options. Then I got into Xbox for a while. Didn't play video games for years and then picked up an Xbox 360 shortly after the Xbox One came out. Played quiet a few classic games and then in Feb. 2016 or so I saw someone play Doom with a toaster and thought, oh yeah, Doom!

I'm 31 for 2.75 more hours. I don't know what I am.

I was born in 1991 and started playing Doom before the 2000's so I suppose I'd be first gen. If not technically, then definitely first gen in the heart. Like @MysteriousHaruko said, the things that happened before your time that you started playing and modding Doom gets the utmost respect. I suppose if Doom was my first game and I was born before Doom 1 even came out, that cements me as first gen. I'm proud to be one because Doom is my favorite game of all time and as a whole really cemented the FPS genre.

I was born in 88 and I started playing doom on the Plastation in 96-97, when my mother got it for me as a gift for going through an allergy skin prick test. And preceded to rebuy it for xbox and xbox 360. When I was old enough to afford my own computer, around 2012, I finally got the pc version. I don't know where I land in your spectrum. I also don't know what there is to be proud of either way.