Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kb1

Naming the new enhanced port standard

1 hour ago, kb1 said:

I was hoping to get some of these words in there, if we were going for acronyms:

extended, enhanced, compatibility, compatible, common, community, standard, specification, baseline, mapping, mapper's, doom/boom.

Hyped for the first release of EECCCCSSBMMDB.

In all seriousness, since this is intended as a standard for engines to adhere to that is based off Boom, just calling it the "Boom 2017 standard" is simple, descriptive, and easily allows for obvious name updates in the future.

Boom Extended

I am serious. It's simple and describes itself just fine.

Inferno

D4F (doom for future)

Mancubus

ArchDoom

Quantum Doom

UACDoom

Argent (Doom)

Crucible

Deimos

Added:

Doom^2

D00M (it has zeros in place of "o")

Let's not go too far here.

I think something simple like 'Boom+' or 'Boom 3' would be best as it implies it's Boom, only better.

6 hours ago, rdwpa said:

EBoom 

This one can sound a bit, umm, offensive in some languages, esp. Slavic ones.

I suggest "Mapper's Best Friend". :]

"Boom Phase 2" would be the best, though, as this effort seems to be exactly what TeamTNT intended their Phase 2 to be. What's wrong with a fan-made sequel?

Calling it Boom something wouldn't be very accurate. This is a uniting standard for all ports, not an extension of the Boom project. There hasn't been any activity in Boom for ~15 years. Ideas and standards have moved beyond this.

This is not a map format but a feature set. So the last two really do not apply.

Doom, Boom and Heretic all use the same map format, but with different features.

Versatile. That's it.

Hey guys, I'm almost finished with my map. Added lots of V features this time!

14 hours ago, rdwpa said:

Powerfully Expanded New Imaginative Sourceport - This is technically correct, and it also has a catchy acronym as well.  

That's quite a mouthful, and we're talking about a standard, not a sourceport. So I suggest, simply, "Advanced Sourceport Standard". Without being cheeky, I think everyone can get behind that one.

I took advantage of ass in my map! Have fun!!!

Although it is a good name, albeit with a funny acronym.

17 minutes ago, Gez said:

That's quite a mouthful, and we're talking about a standard, not a sourceport. So I suggest, simply, "Advanced Sourceport Standard". Without being cheeky, I think everyone can get behind that one.

What about ASDF, for Advanced Standard Doom Format? You can type it just by facerolling the keyboard, which is possibly a feature somehow.

30 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

What about ASDF, for Advanced Standard Doom Format?

5 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

This is not a map format but a feature set.

Advanced Standard Doom Feature-set

PrBoom is derived from its creator, Proff. Why not call the new standard and accompanying lowest-common-denominator port CmBoom, for Community Boom?

Refer specifically to the standard by "CmBoom compatibility", the same way we talk about "Vanilla" and "Boom" and "MBF" compat.

The name likely should be unambiguous and not to easily mix up with the current formats.

Advanced engine needed  : Boom compatible
Advanced engine needed  : Boom 2 compatible
Advanced engine needed  : Boom 3 compatible
Advanced engine needed  : Boom 4 compatible
Advanced engine needed  : Boom Phase 2 compatible

Are they different enought? So that casual players and unawary people won't start asking why it doesn't play right on their 2017-Q2 limits removing sourceports? Embegging the year 17 might start feeling old just in a few years. 

UDoom, Badaboom, KikkAXe

I'm leaning towards just calling it Boom17 or something along similar lines like Zokum and some other folks suggested. If further extensions are agreed upon later, they can become Boom[Year].

I've always thought of the unofficial Boom-but-not-Boom expansions that've become common over the years (sky transfers, tall patches, doubled limits, extended nodes, music changers, etc.) as a sort of "Boom+" featureset, but that naming kind of leaves you up the creek when you want to develop another extended featureset further down the line and you end up with Boom++, Boom+++, and Boom++++.

edit: Booom, Boooom, and Booooom