Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kb1

Naming the new enhanced port standard

When the bikeshedding gets to be too much:

QWERTYUIOP

Quickly, We Exclaimed! Rethink This Yearlong Universal Implementation Operation, Please!

9 hours ago, bzzrak said:

This one can sound a bit, umm, offensive in some languages, esp. Slavic ones.

Still not as great as eBoot.

Please no numbers in the name, that's really lame. Also might get confusing with version numbering.

But that's kind of the point. We have to take version numbering into account, because there are hopefully going to be evolutions of that standard.

Better Boom

The Community's Glorious Democratic Doom Standard

UMapDoom

Standard Advanced Doom

Doom Extended Mapping Standard

Or,  if you want a catchier acronym,  Community And Creator Operating Standard, could use a better word for the O though. 

As fun as meaningful acronyms are, the problem is that they tend to result in extremely unwieldy names. Sure, it'd be cool if we had a catchy name that abbreviated to something Doom-relevant, but really you're not going to make a catchy name out of Modern Advanced Neutral Community Undertaking Boom Updated Standard or whatever. It'll just be meaningless. Or you have to make it very short. Ironically, my joke of a suggestion with ASS actually works well IMO -- Advanced Sourceport Standard, every word there is accurate and justified. If you make it Advanced Source Port Standard it becomes ASPS which may sound better, especially if you like snakes I guess.

Versatile Port Standard

Extensible Port Standard

Core Port Standard

Furry Balls Plopped Menacingly on The Table

Versatile Source Port Standard

D++

It's Doom, and not exactly just a new Boom map format but a whole feature set as Graf said, then Doom++ would be good.

I don't think I can out-humor the status quo, so my serious "vote" is anything with a year in the name, whether that be Boom2017 or SmashingPumpkinsIntoSmallPilesOfPutridDebris2017 or whatever. It's inevitably gonna be an evolving standard, and the names should reflect such.

Isn't it sad that a topic that was meant for serious suggestions has spawned nothing but 3 pages of garbage?

This is truly a mature community...

Really like the idea of Cmboom, but if kb1 is insistent on not using boom in the name, maybe something like Universal Mapping Standard (UMS) or Enhanced Hallway Simulator (EHS)

1 hour ago, Graf Zahl said:

Isn't it sad that a topic that was meant for serious suggestions has spawned nothing but 3 pages of garbage?

Honestly, I think it was a bad idea for a thread from the start.

I think it's premature to talk about this, considering we don't even have a release from PrBoom+'s author agreeing with this! Even something as little as a "modern" game mode (or comp. level) for PrBoom+, embedded into the master release, would work! We can call it Modern PrBoom+, Modern Doom. But I really hope we can integrate the other games from the family as well. Heretic and all really need more love, they have stuff Doom lacks without significant modding.

I think you at least got 1 page of serious suggestions. Surely Boom Extended or Versatile [Port Standard] wasn't that bad of a suggestion...

When you make a thread like this, asking for name suggestions, you have to expect joke answers. If you can't accept them in good humor, you should just not go on the Internet, ever. As long as you do get some serious answers mixed in with the jokes, why complain?

16 minutes ago, printz said:

But I really hope we can integrate the other games from the family as well. Heretic and all really need more love, they have stuff Doom lacks without significant modding.

You are right about this. But if you think about it, the situation here is quite different as there is no widely accepted standard above vanilla and there's very few ports supporting these games. In all honesty, right now ZDoom and children appear to be the only ones with fully working support for these games and advanced features, with Eternity looking like the only other one heading there.

2 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

I kinda expected it, honestly, though I did have some hope. There were some good ones in there. Anyway, it has helped me to realize that there's no good name, so go simple.

2 hours ago, bioshockfan90 said:

Really like the idea of Cmboom, but if kb1 is insistent on not using boom in the name, maybe something like Universal Mapping Standard (UMS) or Enhanced Hallway Simulator (EHS)

CmBoom is not bad. Not insistent, I just thought is was not quite as appropriate. But, I've backed down from that now.

51 minutes ago, fraggle said:

Honestly, I think it was a bad idea for a thread from the start.

Must all my threads suck??? :)

14 minutes ago, Voros said:

I think you at least got 1 page of serious suggestions. Surely Boom Extended or Versatile [Port Standard] wasn't that bad of a suggestion...

Not bad, not bad.

22 minutes ago, printz said:

I think it's premature to talk about this, considering we don't even have a release from PrBoom+'s author agreeing with this! Even something as little as a "modern" game mode (or comp. level) for PrBoom+, embedded into the master release, would work! We can call it Modern PrBoom+, Modern Doom. But I really hope we can integrate the other games from the family as well. Heretic and all really need more love, they have stuff Doom lacks without significant modding.

I have been given entryway's blessing to move forward with a fork, which is all I asked for. This was originally intended as a new place to put my KBDoom code, since all of KBDoom's external interface stuff has become very dated. So entryway retains his port, of course, and, of course, he may use anything I post as he sees fit. Any codes I upload will be renamed to avoid conflict.

8 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

You are right about this. But if you think about it, the situation here is quite different as there is no widely accepted standard above vanilla and there's very few ports supporting these games. In all honesty, right now ZDoom and children appear to be the only ones with fully working support for these games and advanced features, with Eternity looking like the only other one heading there.

@printz and @Graf Zahl: The spec, as I will be proposing it, will be totally compatible with all idTech1 games, and, in fact, attempt to ease the transition towards multiple-game support, as the ZDoom family has done, and Eternity is in the process of doing. Of course, this is a little bit tricky, as those ports already accomplish this, albeit with different but similar methodologies. It is a compatibility specification - I cannot leave the other idTech1 games, ZDoom, or Eternity behind.

Back to choosing a name:

There's lots of good (and crazy) choices here. I'm leaning towards one of these:

• Doom Compatibility Extensions Phase 1 (DCE-01)
  • Boom Extensions Phase 1 (conflicts with BEX, though), so...
  • Compatible Boom Extensions, Phase 1, maybe (CBEX-01)
  • Boom v3.00 (to differentiate it from the 2.00 thru 2.03 executables) - not quite as good, but simple.

Any objections to one of these? I suppose I need to make a poll, but I want to hear what everyone has to say first.

Of those I think I like CBEX the most. It sounds like Chinese financial stuff but it's impossible to avoid an acronym having established meanings and, in the Doom context, it's unambiguous.

Seems simple to me, you start with Doom.

You subtract two from the first letter, you end up with Boom.

Just subtract two more from the first letter, you end up with...@oom.

Clearly, this is the correct answer.

of course if you wrap around, you end up with Zoom, which ain't half bad actually...

12 hours ago, kb1 said:

Back to choosing a name:

There's lots of good (and crazy) choices here. I'm leaning towards one of these:

• Doom Compatibility Extensions Phase 1 (DCE-01)
  • Boom Extensions Phase 1 (conflicts with BEX, though), so...
  • Compatible Boom Extensions, Phase 1, maybe (CBEX-01)
  • Boom v3.00 (to differentiate it from the 2.00 thru 2.03 executables) - not quite as good, but simple.

Any objections to one of these? I suppose I need to make a poll, but I want to hear what everyone has to say first.

I like the acronym+number, but I'm not too fond of anything with BEX in it, since it could be confused with... BEX.