Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kb1

Naming the new enhanced port standard

How about DEX-1 (Doom Engine eXtension, standard 1)? Doesn't have "Boom" or "BEX" in it, can be followed up by DEX-2 and so on, it's short, can be pronounced as a word, and it's kinda catchy. I like it, personally.

Best idea so far.

Of course, if applied to Heretic, will it then become HEX-1? May cause confusion with Hexen... :D

Heretic, Hexen, and Strife are still "Doom Engine", so they would still be covered by DEX.

I'm sure it will disappoint many that there are no need for Strife Engine eXtension. :p

BEST (Boom Enhanced Standard)

BOB (Boom, Only Better)

DDR (Doom Done Right)

ID Tech 1.5 (followed by either 1.6, 1.7 .. 1.127, or 1.5.1, 1.5.2 .. 1.5.667)

I much prefer a creative or unrelated noun "code word" than acronyms or very officious-sounding "foo standard version bar" proposals. After all Boom wasn't "doom extension committee technical document 3.21", it was BOOOOM

11 hours ago, Jon said:

I much prefer a creative or unrelated noun "code word" than acronyms or very officious-sounding "foo standard version bar" proposals. After all Boom wasn't "doom extension committee technical document 3.21", it was BOOOOM

But that's what it ultimately is - just some "boring" technical stuff. It doesn't have to sound cool or fun, it doesn't have to have an enticing name for people to try it out. It should state what it does in a clear manner. Has there been anybody who didn't look at UDMF because it's called UDMF and not in the likes of PENIS or BIKESHED?

The numbering is important because it makes very clear what a WAD needs, and what a port can do. Have a WAD that uses features from DEX-5 (or whatever)? Well don't be surprised that it won't run correctly in your port that only supports DEX-3.

[edit] Also think about the people who're not firmly planted in the community and don't know about stuff like that. What's more clear, "requires a Advent 4 compliant port" or "requires a Doom Engine eXtension, standard 1 (DXE-1) compliant port"? For the latter they at least have a hint at what it is.

Edited by boris

Version numbers are important. The reason I suggested using the year as versioning number is that you immediatly get a hint at what kind of port you need to run this. If a wad requires DSPE-17 and your source port is from 2016, you can be pretty sure that the support might not be perfect...

DXE-1, DEX-5, DSPE-17

What is this, a laboratory?

Name it Vroom and get on with it :P

Edited by Voros

On 7/30/2017 at 10:46 AM, Voros said:

DXE-1, DEX-5, DSPE-17

What is this, a laboratory?

Having a specific word or acronym is important, so it can be described and related to, without "That new set of updates, you know, the one that let's you bla bla??".

DEX-01 or CDX-01. I like "DEX", cause it's pronouncable, but I like "CDX" cause it mentions "Compatibility" ("Compatible Doom Extensions 01")

So, without needing a separate poll? "DEX-01" or "CDX-01"?

On 30.07.2017 at 5:46 PM, Voros said:

VR has a specific meaning that is well-known today.

9 hours ago, Da Werecat said:

VR has a specific meaning that is well-known today.

Besides we have "vavoom" already.

This thread has run its course, I think, and accomplished its mission!