Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

Sw Iwad

If I wished to modify one of shareware maps, (rip out e1m2 and, I donno stick a BFG some place) and repacage the map by it's self, as a Pwad, would I be doing anything illegal? (seeing how doom1.wad id freeware, and you would still need doom.wad/Doom2.wad to run the pwad)

If Doom episode 1 was freeware, then distributing modified levels from it would be fine. As it's shareware, it's not fine.

NiGHTMARE said:

If Doom episode 1 was freeware, then distributing modified levels from it would be fine. As it's shareware, it's not fine.

I don't think so. AFAIK freeware means that you can use the full product without paying anything, not that you can do anything you want with it (that'd be something like public domain).

Who cares. There are 12345678901234567890 levels out there already that are based on the id originals. You won't get sued.

This is part of the DOOM Collector's Edition LICENSE AGREEMENT (the latest DOOM IWADs license). The emphasis is mine, and is meant to show where it says that:

A) Add-ons (new creations) must be for the commercial/registered IWAD (thus, cannot be made to run with the Shareware, as id has always requested).

B) May include parts of the IWAD (images). It isn't clear what "image" means, but we can assume it means lumps.

2. Permitted New Creations. Subject to the terms and provisions of this Agreement and so long as you fully comply at all times with this Agreement, ID grants to you the non-exclusive and limited right to create for the Software (except any Software code) your own modifications (the "New Creations") which shall operate only with the Software (but not any demo, test or other version of the Software). ID reserves all rights not granted in this Agreement, including, without limitation, all rights to ID's trademarks. You may include within the New Creations certain textures and other images (the "ID Images") from the Software. You shall not create any New Creations which infringe against any third party right or which are libelous, defamatory, obscene, false, misleading, or otherwise illegal or unlawful. You agree that the New Creations will not be shipped, transferred or exported into any country in violation of the U.S. Export Administration Act (or any other law governing such matters) by you or anyone at your direction and that you will not utilize and will not authorize anyone to utilize, in any other manner, the New Creations in violation of any applicable law. The New Creations shall not be downloaded or otherwise exported or re-exported into (or to a national or resident of) any country to which the U.S. has embargoed goods or to anyone or into any country who/which are prohibited, by applicable law, from receiving such property. You shall not rent, sell, lease, lend, offer on a pay-per-play basis or otherwise commercially exploit or commercially distribute the New Creations. You are only permitted to distribute, without any cost or charge, the New Creations to other end-users so long as such distribution is not infringing against any third party right and is not otherwise illegal or unlawful. As noted below, in the event you commit any breach of this Agreement, your license and this Agreement shall automatically terminate, without notice. You hereby agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless ID and Activision and ID's and Activision's respective officers, employees, directors, agents, licensees (excluding you), sub-licensees (excluding you), successors and assigns from and against all losses, lawsuits, damages, causes of action and claims relating to and/or arising from the New Creations or the distribution or other use of the New Creations or relating to and/or arising from your breach of this Agreement. Your obligations set forth in the immediately preceding sentence shall survive the cancellation or termination of this Agreement.

Tarin is correct wrt freeware vs public domain.

Fredrik said:
Who cares. There are 12345678901234567890 levels out there already that are based on the id originals. You won't get sued.

But you can't upload them to the idgames archive, it's been explicit in the conditions for some time (although if it's not recognisable it will usually slip through, and some older levels which fail that condition have never been removed).

To me it's a matter of decency, id may do this and that (and doubtfully intervene unless a pretty lame trend of WAD distribution were followed), but out of respect for each other and the game it is the users themselves who should be able to tell what is best. From my standpoint it's:

1. Do not rip the IWADs enmass or in a blatant manner. This means, for example, distributing an IWAD map with slight changes because in your opinion "it improves how it looks" or "improves gameplay" or ripping a bunch of textures from Plutonia or Ultimate DOOM to use with DOOM II. In the first case, do that for personal use if you want but do not put such things on a webpage or other place where anyone can get them. In the second case, id offers each as a separate game, make stuff for the other game if you like the resources, or use new/freedoom resources.

2. On the other hand transferring a couple of textures or copying bits of a map can't be much of an offense if well-used.

3. Lastly, I would give exception to the above if there is a throrough and worthy modification of the map or resources. Let's say using a map as a base but producing something truly original or altering many graphics in a sensible and artistic manner. But only if there is a reason behind this, not just because the person modifying found it easier to use something else as a base or because he thinks it makes the originals "better." Just two examples: Plutonia map32, Requiem map31.

ID has asked that people not make modifications to the shareware of Doom because it might deter people from buying the full product.