Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
atroche

Social Doom

Hello!

Would anyone be interested in hanging out on a Doom server and just … chatting? Say, this Sunday 11am west coast USA time (2pm east cost)? I've just moved to Boulder from Melbourne.

Any suggestions re. the best way to do audio chat, and a good list of maps / settings for hanging out in? I'm happy to do the server hosting.

Some things I'm keen to talk about:

• porting Doom to the browser (more fully than boon)
  • Doom + WebVR

Cheers.

1 minute ago, Voros said:

Isn't that what IRC is for?

I'm after voice chat, and I'm also curious to see if being in a virtual space adds anything to the social element.

Okay, I've set up a Zandronum 2.1.2 server on the static IP of 104.154.47.219, in Google's us-central1 region. I'm getting pings of ~40ms in Boulder.

You can find it in Doomseeker as “Social Doom”, or just connect to that IP directly. It's running MAP01 deathmatch at the moment, let me know where you'd prefer to hang out.

The Discord for voice or text chat is here: https://discord.gg/es3H6bu

So, how's Sunday 2PM EST?

Screen Shot 2017-07-28 at 7.00.44 pm.png

1 hour ago, atroche said:

By the way, which channels are active these days? There are so many listed here: http://doomwiki.org/wiki/IRC

irc.oftc.net has #doomtwid and #zdoom

irc.quakenet.org has #dmstuff

There are also Zandronum and Zdaemon chatrooms which have a bit of activity but that's more multiplayer oriented

You should make a "roleplaying map" or something. Or I might do it? Either way, like the idea of virtual space discussion, i can feel it adds a dimension to a discussion, and no I cannot join in, bit busy :P

9 hours ago, Battle_Kirby said:

You should make a "roleplaying map" or something. Or I might do it? Either way, like the idea of virtual space discussion, i can feel it adds a dimension to a discussion, and no I cannot join in, bit busy :P

No worries! Can you tell me more about your thoughts on the roleplaying map? Do you mean one that feels more like a town (with taverns, shops, etc.) in EverQuest, or like the roleplaying map of say Dialbo II?

And are there any kinds of times or days that work well for you, aside from this Sunday? Feel free to PM if you feel weird talking about your real life on an internet forum :)

12 hours ago, YukiRaven said:

Boulder... Colorado?  If so, you're like 30 minutes from me.

Huh, that's funny, I was just watching Major Arelene's video of one of your mods and I can't wait to play it when I've found my feet in Boulder.

Would you be up for trying to have a little Doom meetup in the Boulder / Denver area? I'm happy to do hosting / organisational stuff.

(Or we could just chat on the Discord channel if that's lower commitment)

1 hour ago, atroche said:

No worries! Can you tell me more about your thoughts on the roleplaying map? Do you mean one that feels more like a town (with taverns, shops, etc.) in EverQuest, or like the roleplaying map of say Dialbo II?

And are there any kinds of times or days that work well for you, aside from this Sunday? Feel free to PM if you feel weird talking about your real life on an internet forum :)

Well, not roleplaying-only per se, but like a house or two, where people who wanna talk enter one of the houses and who wants to fight dishes it outside. Although by this point I am thinking only of a bar, with the bartender having a SSG behind the bar, and if there is a "security room" there would be a chaingun, a secret rocket launcher. Basically two three "games"...

Well, by this point it is starting to sound like a "Old School" Doom map, a actual thing that has "games", custom weapons this and that. Look it up :P

And I don't think I would be able to join until 1st. After that who knows, I have sudden fluctuations of free time.

1 hour ago, Battle_Kirby said:

Well, not roleplaying-only per se, but like a house or two, where people who wanna talk enter one of the houses and who wants to fight dishes it outside. Although by this point I am thinking only of a bar, with the bartender having a SSG behind the bar, and if there is a "security room" there would be a chaingun, a secret rocket launcher. Basically two three "games"...

Well, by this point it is starting to sound like a "Old School" Doom map, a actual thing that has "games", custom weapons this and that. Look it up :P

And I don't think I would be able to join until 1st. After that who knows, I have sudden fluctuations of free time.

Yep, love the idea about having different hang out / combat areas. Especially if we could hook up a way to watch the chase cams from in the social spaces :)

I'll check out those “Old School” maps, they sound interesting.

I've set a reminder if my calendar to ping you after August 1st to see if you have any free time :)