Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Baratus

I'm getting bored with Doom. What do I do?

DooM is one of my favourite games to play, but I'm getting a little tired of it. I have tons and tons of levelpacks and gameplay mods - I have a list of all my favourites, and am pretty open to trying out new releases as they come out, so I have almost a limitless amount of DooM levels and gameplay variations to play, but my enthusiasm for the game is really wavering.

I could always play something else to vary it up, be it a more recent FPS title with the same kind of snappy controls and fast-paced action as Doom such as Painkiller or Wolfenstein: The New Order, or a different type of game entirely such as Risk of Rain or Hollow Knight, but I'm really not as compelled to play games of any sort, and Doom is the game that I am most familiar with and can boot up immediately, without having to boot up Steam, wrestle with the game settings to run semi-smoothly on my hardware, or having to download 60 GB of updates, DLC and other bullshit.

My point is, have you ever had a hobby and felt like your enthusiasm for it is running dry? What do you do when that happens?

Try modding the game yourself or play something else? What are those games with 60 GB of updates? Unless you have a ton of games -at which time, why aren't you playing those games- I don't think I ever got a bit of GBs at any given time. 

Try slower genres (You might be burned out of fast paced ones imo) for a while. I alternate from faster paced games like Doom to slower ones like Darkest Dungeon all the time, It might work for you.

This happened to me a while back and i recommend you to try something new out like singing,dancing,writing or something else,i started boxing (my avatar being Dudley is a coincidence) a bit as an example and after a while i really wanted to play some Doom mods :D

Sometimes if I feel burnt out from playing too much doom, I ether focus on playing other games or binge watching TV shows or anime I've never watch before. 

Yeah, I think a break from video games in general might do me some good. Sometimes I forget that I can enjoy other things a lot more if I'm in the mood for it. There's usually something I can still derive pleasure from even if it's not obvious to me at first.

What other hobbies do you guys have besides Doom?

Expanding into other franchises?

Recently I started getting into Warhammer 40k. I cannot play the tabletop games (money constraint, locational constraint, social constraint), but the computer games running under this franchise are some of the best. Lore/Fluff is really vast. There are also books, comics, even movies made by either big names or fans themselves.

In one way or another, Doom and wh40k are quite similar, although once you delve in deep into both you can get compelled to ask, whenever someone says "Space Marines" to ask back "Which ones?"

If you are just looking at playing games, wh40k can still help you out. Try the first edition of "Space Hulk", it is a DOS game, but you can play it in your browser for free, or you can download it and play it with Dosbox. It is a tactical "first person" shooter, a slower game than Doom, but boy I would surely like to see a updated version of that game in GZDoom. Google it for moar info.

Sometimes taking a break for a while is a good thing. Whenever I take a few weeks or so off playing I find I somehow enjoy it even more than before when I come back. Same goes for other games, other hobbies like playing instruments, etc. Refresher periods can do a lot of good!

Get yourself balls-deep in another hobby. If you like it and continue it more than you ever did with Doom, it's clear it was more for you. If not, a change is as good as a rest; or so they say.

I play music. I also enjoy typing so I have been taking typing tests online to hone my skills. I got 92wpm with 100% accuracy the other day and it felt really good. I also find cleaning the house to be cathartic. Listening to music. There's so many things to do. 

I get burned out on Doom from time to time. Taking a break is really good for the spirits.

When I feel tired of Doom and mapping, I just spend more time outside with my dog or watch some weaboo stuff or play other games which are not fps. I don't know. Just do other stuff that you enjoy doing and you'll be good.

You're getting burnt out. I've seen it before multiple times. take a break. find some other games, i'd even recommend other genres but if you want to stay within the fps catergory, i'd recommend some cs go or pubg. trust me, once you start raging at those for a while, you'll be back at doom before you know it.

Get un-bored from it by remembering that modern games are poo. Or do what I do and sit around and watch Beavis and Butthead.

Walks and bike rides! Even if it's just to the local coffee shop or library to read a book or sit and zone out. Nothing like getting out of the house to clear some headspace for video games. I live close to a creek I can jump into in the summertime, that is the cure for many types of boredom.

It might not have anything to do with not enjoying the game anymore. It might be more likely a side-effect of getting older. I know I used to play Doom for 12 hours in a day sometimes when I was in high school but these days I play for an hour or two and I'm done. I still love the game and after so many days of being away from it my love is rekindled each time I come back

2 hours ago, Baratus said:

My point is, have you ever had a hobby and felt like your enthusiasm for it is running dry? What do you do when that happens?

Story of my life.

Usually, when this or that thing becomes the only fun I spend time with, in the long run I develop a feeling of revulsion and probably won't touch that thing for a looong time. So my advice is, find something else to spend time with, do something that benefits you, like riding a bike, walking, reading a book, anything that you like. 

What do I do? Depends, maybe a find another game to play with, or do crosswords, or go for long walks. 

Taking a break is the best thing to do if you're feeling burned out. You don't want to force yourself to play if you're not enjoying it. 

This happened to me a while back. I used to love to draw and story write and then I started losing that motivation and the spark. 

Depression may had something to do with it, rip

17 minutes ago, ant said:

Go outside? :P

I can't find any game called "Go outside". Is it one of those old, forgotten games?

Taking breaks are good; it's not like there's anything to be gained from being "world's best Doom player" 20+ years into its lifespan.  I've tended to take month-long breaks from Doom in the past, personally.  Stay off a while, and eventually the urge will return, stronger than ever.

Having breaks with video games as a whole might help more than anything. At one point you run into a sort of fatigue with video games if you play consistently enough. Of course, maybe it doesn't have to be all video games, maybe you can try out other game series and even other game genres to break up the monotony.

There's also real-life hobbies to have in mind, having your mind on other things in life can be a breath of fresh air.

On 7/29/2017 at 0:58 PM, KVELLER said:

I can't find any game called "Go outside". Is it one of those old, forgotten games?

It's free! It came with your life. It is basically a massive multiplayer role playing game with super high resolution. Lots of grindings though like schools, work, eat, sleep, etc.  ;)

On 7/29/2017 at 2:57 PM, rehelekretep said:

keep playing! persevere until you play ALL the wads on idgames. i believe in you, you can do it.

Has anyone done that? It's like impossible to me. I used to that on ftp.cdrom.com server daily when DOOM 1 and 2 games were hot! Did anyone play my "Da Kills" and "The Jungle II" mods for DOOM 2 back then? http://zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/files/doom2/j2doom/j2doom.html for them. ;)

Just now, ant said:

Has anyone done that? It's like impossible to me. I used to that on ftp.cdrom.com server daily when DOOM 1 and 2 games were hot! Did anyone play my "Da Kills" and "The Jungle II" mods for DOOM 2 back then? http://zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/files/doom2/j2doom/j2doom.html for them. ;)

I don't think it's possible to play every wad but I'm workin on it :P

9 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

I don't think it's possible to play every wad but I'm workin on it :P

Prove it. At least, play mine. ;)