Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Baratus

I'm getting bored with Doom. What do I do?

6 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

send it! you're on!

I posted my link over 15 minutes ago. Scroll up. ;)

Its a hobby. Its entertainment, not a job. Do what you find fun or interesting. Come back in a year or 5 years and be entertained again.

You may have to become real honest about yourself - to yourself, and figure out why you do what you do. Is Doom done just for fun? Is it a procrastination for something you really want to do, but are afraid, or nervous about?

Staying in front of a PC your entire waking life is not healthy, and will destroy your body after time. Be sure to take care of yourself as a whole. This might even show you a path to take. I haven't been bored in decades (but I don't have all my answers either.) Keep looking to answering those questions and more. And, combat PC fatigue by getting up, getting outside! Best of luck.

Or keep playing, just something else.

There are so many great options worthy of a playthrough. Just for example.

FPS: Blood, Shogo, Duke (1,2,3D), Wolf 3D, Z.A.R., Terminal Velocity, Serious Sam

RTS: many C&C games, Age of Empires 2, Warhammer 40K Dawn of War, The Battle for Middle Earth

RPGs: Baldur's Gate, Icewindale, Divinity 2, Witcher, Fallout (1,2), Overlord, Diablo (1 & 2)

Platformers: Comander Keen, Dangerous Dave (2 and further), Biomenace (permanently free on GOG btw)

and many, many others. Naming all of them would take a looooong time.

I personally find Carmageddon 2 very relaxing.

On 8/4/2017 at 10:43 AM, idbeholdME said:

RTS: many C&C games, Age of Empires 2, Warhammer 40K Dawn of War, The Battle for Middle Earth

Only if EA gives the rights of C&C to another company, The way they murdered the franchise is disgusting. 

47 minutes ago, Pegg said:

Only if EA gives the rights of C&C to another company, The way they murdered the franchise is disgusting. 

It was not all bad, C&C Tiberium Wars and the expansion was good and Red Alert 3 was still workable (besides the art style and dumbed down mining). But I agree, Twilight was equivalent to jumping off a very high cliff and the series died right there. Very painfully I might add.

Here is a very good video both for those who never saw any C&C before and dedicated fans. Fans will know most of it already, but there are some tidbits here and there that even I found interesting.

EDIT, EDIT, EDIT:

Apparently, they made an improved version of the video, that I haven't seen yet, so just replacing the old one with the new one.

I also hold BfME1 in very high regard. One of the best games from EA ever.

But yes, it is an unwritten rule in the gaming industry that whatever great series EA touches will go down sooner, rather than later. They just took some time with C&C. I think we can be certain with one thing. EA will not make another C&C game anytime soon and they obviously don't care about the franchise anymore.

Edited by idbeholdME : Newer video was made

Kane Wrath is easily my favorite part of the C&C series. Everything older than it feels way less replayable after playing it. 4 is the coffin of the series though, Unless they decide to milk it further. 

19 hours ago, idbeholdME said:

RPGs: Baldur's Gate, Icewindale, Divinity 2, Witcher, Fallout (1,2), Overlord, Diablo (1 & 2)

There is also Neverwinter Nights which has lots and lots of player-made modules to play, and persistent world servers that are like mini MMOs.

Also fun is the Elder Scrolls series. The first two, Arena and Daggerfall, are free. They are strictly single-player, but there is lots of player-made content for Morrowind, Oblivion, ans Skyrim. There might be a lot of stuff for Daggerfall, too, but I didn't yet have internet when I played it in the 90s, and I never got around to Arena.

Edited by Empyre

Start making Youtube videos, after i'm done with a 2 or 3 hour editing session there's nothing more that i want to do than play a videogame.

I would suggest to start a creative hobby. Maybe since you are in Doom, start learning to map if you haven't of course. When you are creative, the ideas might flow and you find you don't have enough time to try the numerous ideas you ever wanted. I have the opposite problem, I never get bored, I feel I don't have enough time to try all the creative things in my hobbies (programming also, try it if you haven't, the things you can do are endless and will make you proud) or maybe I just waste some of my time in watching youtube or other stuff.

Meanwhile, I do understand that feeling with modern games, I have so much on my Steam account, that I never even installed to play. You gotta fiddle with settings, learn 3 pages of key controls, they might be filling with 20 minutes cinematics before you even start and then you get bored, you find the game might be too linear and scripted and you just wasted two hours installing, setting up and undeleting it. That's why most of the time I am reluctant to install and try a new game and I end up playing what is familiar to me, like Doom and 2-3 other things (maybe old games or an indie game I happened to get familiar with, like Spelunky). Or you could try replaying some old nostalgic games of yours, definitely Doom is not the only thing you are familiar with?

p.s. But also doing outdoor activities or other indoor activities not on the computer, or just relaxing and having a zen doing nothing moment, breaking old habits, those are good ideas. Sometimes I need to just lay down and think of nothing, do nothing.

3 hours ago, NightmareZer0 said:

For me I find new ways to play. New ways to challenge myself. I really like Brutal Doom's hardest difficulty. 

Try one of these with your favorite maps (requires ZDoom family):