Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quantum Dranger

Obligatory - 32 Map Community Project

Recommended Posts

Ever generated a map with Oblige that, with some human modification, could become a fine-tuned well-paced quality map? This community project sets out to create a 32 map boom-compatible megawad out of procedural-manual synergy. To join, generate a map, figure out the direction the map is going and reserve a slot or express interest. All mappers, from beginner to expert are encouraged to join.

 

Rules

  • Must use doom 2 as an IWAD
  • Be boom-compatible (MAPINFO is allowed as boom does not read it)
  • Completable
  • Have varying difficulty based on skill level.
  • Factor in OBLIGE's graphic changes i.e. CEMENT, GORA0, LIFTFLAT, RWDMON, etc. (can be found below)
  • Custom music and titles are allowed
  • Maps 1-6 are underground themed, 7-11 are placed in the starport, maps 11-20 are city levels and 21-30 are hell levels.
  • Map 7, 11, 20 and 30 should be based off simple, gallows, gotcha and icon.wad (can be found below)
  • Map 15 and Map 31 should include secret exits.
  • Limit nazis and commander keen to the secret levels.

 

Goal

 

32 Quality maps abiding by the above rules by TBA.

 

Resources

 

Oblige level generator

 

Bosses

 

Graphics

 

Maps

MAP01: Mining Quarry (Quantum_Dranger)

MAP02: Open

MAP03: Open

MAP04: Open

MAP05: Open

MAP06: Open

MAP07: Tower Entrance (Redead-ITA)

MAP08: Open

MAP09: Reserved

MAP10: Open

MAP11: Open

MAP12: Open

MAP13: Open

MAP14: Open

MAP15: Open

MAP16: Open

MAP17: Open

MAP18: Open

MAP19: Open

MAP20: Open

MAP21: The Moving Halls (EtherBot)

MAP22: Open

MAP23: Open

MAP24: Open

MAP25: Open

MAP26: Open

MAP27: Open

MAP28: Open

MAP29: Open

MAP30: Open

 

Secret Maps

MAP31: Open

MAP32: Open

 

Interested Mappers

 

Benjogami

Rorix

VOliver9

ClumsyWizard

EtherBot

 

Zdoom Thread

 

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=57421

Edited by Quantum Dranger

Share this post


Link to post

Do remember you can DISABLE the hang_lamp thing which replaces the hanging torso (GOR4A0) sprite.

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Quantum Dranger said:

Factor in OBLIGE's graphic changes i.e. CEMENT, GORA0, LIFTFLAT, RWDMON, etc. (can be found below)

 

Yes, I know it can be disabled. However, this project for the sake of cross-map consistency will use all oblige graphic replacements as mentioned in the rules above.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Quantum Dranger said:

Ever generated a map with Oblige that, with some human modification, could become a fine-tuned well-paced quality map?

This doesn't really describe Mining Quarry.

 

Apart from some traps here and there, almost all of the combat consists of shooting stuff in front of you or clearing meat. The yellow key is guarded by demons and spectres that are for all practical purposes stuck, and you have to chainsaw them. The blue key is guarded by a crate maze of lost souls that you shoot as they funnel towards you. The trap that turns the entire room into a crusher -- which with all its moving sectors, almost looks broken -- is substantially more dangerous than anything else in the map. The progression is unnecessarily piecemeal too -- substantial silent backtracking after every objective other than the blue key. There is a rocket launcher but no ammo for it, so you can use it on a cacodemon but you have to plink away at the other mid-tiers. You also don't get to have fun with it by turning the low-tiers bunched up around the exit into gibs if you use it on this cacodemon. Halfway through the map there is a duplicate single shotgun pickup, which releases a cacodemon, even though the player will have not only encountered a single shotgun pickup but also fought shotgunners at that point. Maybe that was meant to be a super shotgun? It'd make sense and certainly improve the map quite a bit.

 

Visually, this is pretty recognizable as an Oblige mismash, with some visual knickknacks added, which are an improvement, but mostly 'detailing' that doesn't make things look better, really. There's a computer area map powerup, so all of the two-sided lines outside of the playspace need to be marked 'not shown on automap'. The thin unreachable sliver of a sector around this step texture is flagged secret for some reason. 


I can recognize the merits of the project, and I'm curious to see other maps for it, but this opener isn't really working, imo. It's clear you've done a decent amount of work for it, but I think this randomly generated map happens to need an even more substantial overhaul: (1) changes to progression -- perhaps opening up new paths or shortcuts to avoid backtracking; (2) more sophisticated encounters and monster placement (less of 'a bunch of stuff to grind in front of you' unless you are going to make that breezy by giving a more powerful weapon). 

 

Edited by rdwpa

Share this post


Link to post

I was sad to hear that the latest version 7.666 is going to be the final version that Andrew works on. Hopefully some individuals more intelligent and capable than myself can take that torch and continue improving it.

 

The newest version is really really good.

 

Good luck with this project.

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, rdwpa said:

This doesn't really describe Mining Quarry.

 

Apart from some traps here and there, almost all of the combat consists of shooting stuff in front of you or clearing meat. The yellow key is guarded by demons and spectres that are for all practical purposes stuck, and you have to chainsaw them. The blue key is guarded by a crate maze of lost souls that you shoot as they funnel towards you. The trap that turns the entire room into a crusher -- which with all its moving sectors, almost looks broken -- is substantially more dangerous than anything else in the map. The progression is unnecessarily piecemeal too -- substantial silent backtracking after every objective other than the blue key. There is a rocket launcher but no ammo for it, so you can use it on a cacodemon but you have to plink away at the other mid-tiers. You also don't get to have fun with it by turning the low-tiers bunched up around the exit into gibs if you use it on this cacodemon. Halfway through the map there is a duplicate single shotgun pickup, which releases a cacodemon, even though the player will have not only encountered a single shotgun pickup but also fought shotgunners at that point. Maybe that was meant to be a super shotgun? It'd make sense and certainly improve the map quite a bit.

 

Visually, this is pretty recognizable as an Oblige mismash, with some visual knickknacks added, which are an improvement, but mostly 'detailing' that doesn't make things look better, really. There's a computer area map powerup, so all of the two-sided lines outside of the playspace need to be marked 'not shown on automap'. The thin unreachable sliver of a sector around this step texture is flagged secret for some reason. 


I can recognize the merits of the project, and I'm curious to see other maps for it, but this opener isn't really working, imo. It's clear you've done a decent amount of work for it, but I think this randomly generated map happens to need an even more substantial overhaul: (1) changes to progression -- perhaps opening up new paths or shortcuts to avoid backtracking; (2) more sophisticated encounters and monster placement (less of 'a bunch of stuff to grind in front of you' unless you are going to make that breezy by giving a more powerful weapon). 

 

7

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hd42ow1ioqkqbho/MiningQuarry.wad

 

Thanks for the feedback. I realize in hindsight that I was too focused on detailing over building compelling encounters and balanced gameplay. I've fixed the issues with ammo and weaponry, backtracking from the yellow key, the crusher's damage, unreachable linedefs showing, etc. that you mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Redead-ITA said:

i am kinda interested on this megawad 

Im thinking of taking the map07 one 

You've been added to the list. I'm looking forward to seeing your map.

Share this post


Link to post

I love Oblige and have long considered altering Oblige maps, so I'm definitely interested. I don't have any particular mapslot in mind though.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Benjogami said:

I love Oblige and have long considered altering Oblige maps, so I'm definitely interested. I don't have any particular mapslot in mind though.

Don't worry. I'll make sure that all active interested mappers have a slot in the final product.

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Quantum Dranger said:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hd42ow1ioqkqbho/MiningQuarry.wad

 

Thanks for the feedback. I realize in hindsight that I was too focused on detailing over building compelling encounters and balanced gameplay. I've fixed the issues with ammo and weaponry, backtracking from the yellow key, the crusher's damage, unreachable linedefs showing, etc. that you mentioned.

Definite improvements. I found a way that most of the map can be skipped. It is plausible as an intentional trick, but it could also be an oversight, so I'll point it out just in case.


 

Spoiler

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

Definite improvements. I found a way that most of the map can be skipped. It is plausible as an intentional trick, but it could also be an oversight, so I'll point it out just in case.


 

  Hide contents

 

 

Thanks for pointing that out. Time to raise that wall.

Share this post


Link to post

Here is my Map 

I decided to use Symple 3 as a My reference for this

It has a lot of metal textures and some slightly different ones where the arachnotrons are at

the difficulty realy shows here btw

And i wanna note that it hasnt a lot of oblige Textures Just LiftFlat for now 

RedObligatoryMap.zip

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Redead-ITA said:

Here is my Map 

I decided to use Symple 3 as a My reference for this

It has a lot of metal textures and some slightly different ones where the arachnotrons are at

the difficulty realy shows here btw

And i wanna note that it hasnt a lot of oblige Textures Just LiftFlat for now 

RedObligatoryMap.zip

http://www.mediafire.com/file/um9nh2l818u7vjr/RedOrbligatoryMap.wad

 

Very good start. I felt as though there wasn't enough decoration and texture variety and it lacked deathmatch starts so I created a version with these features. If you would like to make these changes yourself, I can discard this variation, though I would recommend taking a look at it at least.

Share this post


Link to post

i checked the map 

There were some tiny tiny issuies with it but i fixed them

the ones are Light sector increased roof didn't had textures

other than that i dig the style a lot so feel free to use this version of it

RedObligatorymap-edit.zip

Edited by Redead-ITA

Share this post


Link to post

Modified Oblige maps are fun-tastic! Working on one now. Best slot for it would be from 10-13 methinks.

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/7/2017 at 1:01 AM, Rorix said:

Modified Oblige maps are fun-tastic! Working on one now. Best slot for it would be from 10-13 methinks.

Glad to have you on board.

Share this post


Link to post

That map07 is basically the same as Dead Simple, what is the point? Luckily you can press the switch through the floor and leave the map in under 10 seconds without killing anything.

 

I might run the generator and see if anything inspiring shows up, i've meant to try doing a map tuneup type project for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, Scotty said:

That map07 is basically the same as Dead Simple, what is the point? Luckily you can press the switch through the floor and leave the map in under 10 seconds without killing anything.

 

I might run the generator and see if anything inspiring shows up, i've meant to try doing a map tuneup type project for a while.

The rules state that The map07 should be based on the map Simple of the level generator

i did a map out of it witch stays on the mapping rules

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/20/2017 at 10:23 AM, Scotty said:

That map07 is basically the same as Dead Simple, what is the point? Luckily you can press the switch through the floor and leave the map in under 10 seconds without killing anything.

I really dislike the prebuilt maps. I think in old versions of OBLIGE you could turn them off. And actually I think map07 is gone in 7.666 because I haven't seen it recently. But map30 is still there. The solution of course is to never build a 32-map OBLIGE wad, because that's just silly anyhow.

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/12/2017 at 11:20 AM, cambreaKer said:

looks like only 2 maps made it before 1st september, is this project dead?

I'm going to talk to interested mappers to see if they are still involved. I will extend the deadline as well.

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×