Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quantum Dranger

Obligatory - 32 Map Community Project

On 10/17/2017 at 8:38 PM, Quantum Dranger said:

Deadline changed to TBA as all mappers are caught up in other projects. Best of luck to them.

I'm interested in contributing to this project, but it will be a few months before I can get to it.

At the moment, I'm thinking about one of the hell maps, probably something in the mid-20's.

10 hours ago, Pegleg said:

I'm interested in contributing to this project, but it will be a few months before I can get to it.

At the moment, I'm thinking about one of the hell maps, probably something in the mid-20's.

Looking forward to it!

16 hours ago, EtherBot said:

this going on still? I forget the map numbers but just any of the early hell levels im down for

Sure, you can take a hell level. have fun mapping!

1 hour ago, EtherBot said:

Very brief start so far, maybe 3 dozen ish minor changes to help the pacing. A few dead ends and stuff that I'm still trying to add rooms to and the like.

obligatory.zip

I look forward to seeing what you do with it. Some things to look out for:

1. Health placement: oblige maps generate bundles of 4 or 5 stimpacks that could easily be swapped for 2 medikits
  2. Secrets: many weapons have duplicates behind silver doors. I'd say remove the weapon outside the door and make the silver door rooms secrets.
  3. Map Design: Make sure that it is easy for the player to see which doors open up when the hit certain switches, I liked the enemy ambushes for this reason as they guided me to the next area.
  4. Decoration: this map could use some more decorative gore and pillars. This is hell after all!
  5. Ammo: Some weapons lacked sufficient ammo to use them (rocket launcher).
  6. Weapons: the BFG exists but there is nothing to use it against, not even a few barons in the resulting ambush. 
  7. Monster variety: There were a few cacos and demons but otherwise the level lacked any high-level monsters or doom 2 exclsuives (chaingunners). I'd say add more high-level monsters or if you're not into that, use lots of hitscan enemies to create a level of later-third difficulty and adjust the weapons for the option chosen.

16 minutes ago, Quantum Dranger said:

BFG

I quite frankly didn't even notice there was a BFG in this level, must have been generated by Oblige. Which is weird, I set the weapons to start late solely so something like that wouldn't happen.

On the topic of enemies, I could do with some mancubi specifically, come to think of it. Maybe some arachnotrons

9 hours ago, EtherBot said:

right, this is probably my final version unless you have critiques i guess

obligatory.zip

Yeah, I got a few, but nothing too major. There are quite a few redundant weapons, I found extra shotguns, chainguns, and rocket launchers despite having picked them up earlier on the map. Also, there are quite a few dead ends, odd corners and such in this map that could be smoothed out for a better experience. Next, this is more personal but I believe that this map could benefit greatly from more chaingunners and revenants, which would fit nicely with the other low tiers. Finally, I think there should be more guides (lines, body/blood trails, etc.) like the one in the final room due to it being confusing sometimes to find what some switches did.

21 hours ago, Quantum Dranger said:

Yeah, I got a few, but nothing too major. There are quite a few redundant weapons, I found extra shotguns, chainguns, and rocket launchers despite having picked them up earlier on the map. Also, there are quite a few dead ends, odd corners and such in this map that could be smoothed out for a better experience. Next, this is more personal but I believe that this map could benefit greatly from more chaingunners and revenants, which would fit nicely with the other low tiers. Finally, I think there should be more guides (lines, body/blood trails, etc.) like the one in the final room due to it being confusing sometimes to find what some switches did.

yeah these are some good points. I'll tinker with the map some more when i get some time

Is this project still live? There's been a few maps uploaded, and I realize it's near the holidays, but it's been over a month since the last post.

I wouldn't mind making another map if that's allowed? Sort of slow, but I've seen many projects try to do this same thing and wanna see one succeed lol.

Alright, sure then. I'll get a map to you by, at least, the end of year.

BTW if I can make some suggestions for good settings to use. "Normal" sized maps with "no monsters or weapons" and also absolutely "no teleports" seemed to work wonders for me. Oblige is great but gives you tons of the same guns and isnt perfect with its monster placement. Also making those dumb dead ends everywhere into monster closets can make them seem less pointless, especially if you put some goodies in them.

I'll take slot 10. How much liberty do we have for altering the number and placement of things? 

1 minute ago, Job said:

I'll take slot 10. How much liberty do we have for altering the number and placement of things? 

Infinite. As long as you start with the oblige map as a base and don't do something like delete the entire thing and start from scratch. Thanks for joining the project!

update on my current map. 

Green for the map just be aware it'll take a bit, as im busy with other things. Sometime soon, coming weeks. Honestly oblige maps are tiring to mess with for some reason. Sign me up for map 19 so i can get the vanilla oblige before my other map

Alright. Had an idea, started on the idea, decided to instead do the oblige thing, had the brilliant idea of putting the bits of the previous idea into the oblige map, was working pretty okay, coming along nicely, played good, looked good, felt pretty good about it, 

accidentally lost the entire oblige folder while trying to reorganize my folders. In essence, I lost the files to what felt like two and a half maps, plus my original submission, the moving halls. Nothings stopping me from just starting over, but

UGH

I played Mining Quarry, and I liked it where the randomness of oblige+mapper created combinations that were unexpected but mostly worked. Maybe do for random gen what lilith.wad did for glitches. There are lots of expectations about levels (especially nowadays) to be messed with. I can't ever remember wondering in a level, did a person make this? Did a computer? Maybe there's a concept with the levels being (sorry) a cyberspace world created by a Shodan-like AI.

Dr2pBN6.png?1

On 3/13/2018 at 5:37 PM, EtherBot said:

Alright. Had an idea, started on the idea, decided to instead do the oblige thing, had the brilliant idea of putting the bits of the previous idea into the oblige map, was working pretty okay, coming along nicely, played good, looked good, felt pretty good about it, 

accidentally lost the entire oblige folder while trying to reorganize my folders. In essence, I lost the files to what felt like two and a half maps, plus my original submission, the moving halls. Nothings stopping me from just starting over, but

UGH

Sorry dude. I've lost a few maps like that as well and it hurts. Start again when you feel better because I find that when I lose something and start over, I end up getting back to where I was pretty quickly.

On 3/14/2018 at 11:50 PM, Aquanet said:

I played Mining Quarry, and I liked it where the randomness of oblige+mapper created combinations that were unexpected but mostly worked. Maybe do for random gen what lilith.wad did for glitches. There are lots of expectations about levels (especially nowadays) to be messed with. I can't ever remember wondering in a level, did a person make this? Did a computer? Maybe there's a concept with the levels being (sorry) a cyberspace world created by a Shodan-like AI.

Dr2pBN6.png?1

Thanks. That's what I hoped to do with this project and I'm glad that it worked. I think that there is something really cool to be gained from putting a human artistic touch on something random. Would you like to create a map for the project as well?